Andscacs nnue 0.1

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Werner
Full name: Werner Schüle

Re: Andscacs nnue 0.1

Post by Werner »

I hope we do not have now the 2nd frustrated programmer !

I wish you all the best Daniel and hope you will continue with your own engine.
Werner
CEGT Team
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Werner wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:30 pm I hope we do not have now the 2nd frustrated programmer !

Werner
CEGT Team
I think it clear that this is another protest version.
They don't have to say anything.
I guess that anybody who spent 1000 hours or more from their life tuning an evaluation and then found out you can go to sleep and let 12 engines toil overnight while you sleep and they will do something vastly superior it would turn your stomach.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

Werner wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:30 pm I hope we do not have now the 2nd frustrated programmer !

Werner
CEGT Team
FWIW, I am sure Daniel is not 'frustrated', OTH Connor ofc was right.
https://rwbc-chess.de

trollwatch:
Chessqueen + chessica + AlexChess + Eduard + Sylwy
whereagles

Post by whereagles »

we can start talking of aNNdscacs :mrgreen:
Engin
Full name: Engin Üstün

Post by Engin »

cdani wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:34 pm
connor_mcmonigle wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:04 am Another disappointing aspect of this release is that it's in blatant violation of the GPL. Andscacs, as a closed source engine, cannot rely on the GPL'd NNUE code it copies unless the entirety of the source code is also distributed to the users along with the binaries...
Sorry!
Was not my intention.
I removed the zip file.
Best wishes.
they are doing the same with you like me, now is Daniel pissed off too :-/

GPL programmers can do what they want and non GPL can do nothing :-/
Engin

Post by Engin »

Werner
CEGT Team
sure he is pissed off from you like me too :-/

the other non GPL version of NNUE CPU what Daniel Shawul suggest me to use did not really work, also there are no way to train a own network with it.
Werner
Full name: Werner Schüle

Post by Werner »

Engin wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:42 pm
Do you know what you wrote ? I have tested 28 versions of Tornado.
Werner
Engin

Post by Engin »

Werner wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:26 pm
Engin wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:42 pm
Do you know what you wrote ? I have tested 28 versions of Tornado.
i don't mean you werner with you testing a lot of engines very good, i meant the GPL rules that not allows closed source engines to using SF NNUE's with shawuls probing code because it is under the rules of GPL 3.0 that means you must open your source if you using the source of the probing code.

so i mean it is also not allowed to using the nalimov table probing code either then..... nor opening books too.
connor_mcmonigle
Full name: Connor McMonigle

Post by connor_mcmonigle »

cdani wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:34 pm
connor_mcmonigle wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:04 am Another disappointing aspect of this release is that it's in blatant violation of the GPL. Andscacs, as a closed source engine, cannot rely on the GPL'd NNUE code it copies unless the entirety of the source code is also distributed to the users along with the binaries...
Sorry!
Was not my intention.
I removed the zip file.
Best wishes.
Somehow I missed this earlier. Sorry about that and hopefully none of my posting here came off as excessively negative.
No worries, I figured as much. I have massive respect for your work on Andscacs and hopefully we'll see you continue its development :D
connor_mcmonigle
Full name: Connor McMonigle

Post by connor_mcmonigle »

Engin wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:31 pm
i don't mean you werner with you testing a lot of engines very good, i meant the GPL rules that not allows closed source engines to using SF NNUE's with shawuls probing code because it is under the rules of GPL 3.0 that means you must open your source if you using the source of the probing code.

so i mean it is also not allowed to using the nalimov table probing code either then..... nor opening books too.
If you want to use a neural network for position evaluation while keeping your source closed, why not implement it yourself?
A large number of strong engines use neural networks for position evaluation without taking any code from Stockfish/other engines (Ethereal, Slowchess, Winter, Halogen, Seer, Orion, tomitankChess etc.).

I don't understand your thinking here, though possibly there are reasons for keeping your source closed that I am not considering. Why not open source your engine if you want to use other people's GPL'd code so badly?