Request my username to be changed to ChessKnight ?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Chessqueen
Full name: Jorge Picado

Request my username to be changed to ChessKnight ?

Post by Chessqueen »

I would like my username to be changed from ChessQueen to ChessKnight, Please. :roll:
Who is 17 years old GM Gukesh 2nd at the Candidate in Toronto?
https://indianexpress.com/article/sport ... t-9281394/
towforce

Re: Request my username to be changed to ChessKnight ?

Post by towforce »

I'm not sure that any of the people that operate this forum are sufficiently skilled in the use of MySQL to do that. In some ways, though, your name could be a source for personal growth - link. :)
Writing is the antidote to confusion.
It's not "how smart you are", it's "how are you smart".
Your brain doesn't work the way you want, so train it!
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Chessqueen wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:54 pm I would like my username to be changed from ChessQueen to ChessKnight, Please. :roll:
[Admin] I only see this now. I don't see any reason to allow members to change their login handle, especially since the phpBB 3 software uses this as the main method for identifying the posters. I don't see anything wrong with the name 'ChessQueen', or why ChessKnight would be better. For being able to find old postings it is important the usernames stay invariant.

This morning I activated the account 'ChessKnight', because it was requested by someone who claimed to be 'Mike Knight', and I had not seen this posting. If that was you, I request you not to use that account, and I will delete it. The TalkChess charter forbids creation of multiple accounts, and lying about your true name is a rather serious offense in itself.
towforce

Post by towforce »

P78 of the manual (section 5.1.1 User Overview) indicates that you can change a user's name without having to directly edit the database - link.

If that's the wrong version, the other versions are here - link (the username change process is the same in all versions anyway).

It is VERY likely that posts will be linked to users with a userID - which would be an integer not a string - but if you can change a user's name via the software, this doesn't even matter anyway. If you did have to edit the database, it would just be one row in a table which would probably be called "user".
Last edited by towforce on Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

towforce wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:53 pm P78 of the manual (section 5.1.1 User Overview) indicates that you can change a user's name without having to directly edit the database - link.

It is VERY likely that posts will be linked to users with a userID - which would be an integer not a string - but if you can change a user's name via the software, this doesn't even matter anyway. If you did have to edit the database, it would just be one row in a table which would probably be called "user".
You miss the point.
https://rwbc-chess.de

trollwatch:
Talkchess nowadays is a joke - it is full of trolls/idiots/people stuck in the pleistocene > 80% of the posts fall into this category...
towforce

Post by towforce »

Guenther wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:59 pm
towforce wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:53 pm P78 of the manual (section 5.1.1 User Overview) indicates that you can change a user's name without having to directly edit the database - link.

You miss the point.

Apparently, yes. A user wants to change his username. PHPBB 3.x has an easy way to do this. That's the main thing.
hgm

Post by hgm »

No, the main thing is that we do not want users to hide behind different names every time. So what is technically possible is totally irrelevant.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

From the charter document:

TCAdmin wrote:
II - To prospective new members

New members are expected to sign up using their real name as indicated in the registration agreement, unless permission is obtained in advance from the website administrator.

Do not attach a website link to your profile unless it relates to chess or is your personal webpage.

Failure to observe these requests will void activation of your account.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
Chessqueen
Full name: Jorge Picado

Post by Chessqueen »

Dann Corbit wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:51 pm From the charter document:

TCAdmin wrote:
II - To prospective new members

New members are expected to sign up using their real name as indicated in the registration agreement, unless permission is obtained in advance from the website administrator.

Do not attach a website link to your profile unless it relates to chess or is your personal webpage.

Failure to observe these requests will void activation of your account.
In that case I would like to use my name George Pichard or Jorge Pichard whichever you prefer :roll:
Too bad that we can NOT change it ourselves at least once like in chess.com https://support.chess.com/article/493-h ... y-username
Who is 17 years old GM Gukesh 2nd at the Candidate in Toronto?
https://indianexpress.com/article/sport ... t-9281394/
hgm

Post by hgm »

Well, that is what it already says as 'full name' to the right of your posting. In the previous phpBB version that would also be printed as posting header. Perhaps we will ever manage to make that happen again.