Zahak, a GoLang based chess engine

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Gabor Szots
Full name: Gabor Szots

Re: Zahak, a GoLang based chess engine

Post by Gabor Szots »

Splendid, Amanj! I like your goals.
Gabor Szots
CCRL testing group
mvanthoor
Full name: Marcel Vanthoor

Re: Zahak 5.0, the last of its kind

Post by mvanthoor »

amanjpro wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:34 pm I released Zahak 5.0, it is the last of its kind.
Cool :) Your goals are similar to mine, except that I target 3000 Elo. I also want to add a neural network someday, also trained on pre-1920 games (if I can find enough of those), and a level function. Current Rustic dev (~2150-2200) is already stronger than I am, and it doesn't have eval terms, null move or pruning yet :|
Author of Rustic, an engine written in Rust.
Releases | Code | Docs | Progress | CCRL
amanjpro
Full name: Amanj Sherwany

Re: Zahak 5.0, the last of its kind

Post by amanjpro »

mvanthoor wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:25 pm
amanjpro wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:34 pm I released Zahak 5.0, it is the last of its kind.
Cool :) Your goals are similar to mine, except that I target 3000 Elo. I also want to add a neural network someday, also trained on pre-1920 games (if I can find enough of those), and a level function. Current Rustic dev (~2150-2200) is already stronger than I am, and it doesn't have eval terms, null move or pruning yet :|
Hahaha, I cannot even beat Zahak 1.0.0 (which is much weaker than Rustic alpha 3), I can compete with Zahak 0.3.0 though... yup, sad times our kids surpassed us
lithander
Full name: Thomas Jahn

Post by lithander »

2700 already?! You really made swift progress towards your goal. Well done!

I look forward to battle your new engine with mine... in a few years. Give or take. Hopefully. ;)
Minimal Chess (simple, open source, C#) - Youtube & Github
Leorik (competitive, in active development, C#) - Github & Lichess
mvanthoor
Full name: Marcel Vanthoor

Post by mvanthoor »

lithander wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:47 pm 2700 already?! You really made swift progress towards your goal. Well done!

I look forward to battle your new engine with mine... in a few years. Give or take. Hopefully. ;)
You're already at 2260. Even if you don't do anything else, you can add 650 Elo by adding some evaluation terms. That would put MMC over 2910. Then add LMR for another 100 Elo and you're at 3000+. Just a bit of typing and then waiting for the test results. That's easy enough.

(Some people are now gearing up to take my head off probably, so I'll start ducking :lol:)

But seriously; I wouldn't be surprised if the "last" 300 points from 2700 to 3000 are the most difficult, and above that, you'd probably need to start looking into the really esoteric stuff to gain points. Some authors (before NNUE and things like OpenBench) just flat-out quit at ~3250 because testing the +10 and +15 Elo gains took way too much computing power.
Author of Rustic, an engine written in Rust.
Releases | Code | Docs | Progress | CCRL
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

http://rebel13.nl/a/grl.htm

1600 games.

There you go again :D

I put you in 110 elo stronger pool than version 4.0 based on your estimate of 2700 elo.

And after 55 games you seem to reach that 2700 goal.
90% of coding is debugging, the other 10% is writing bugs.
amanjpro

Post by amanjpro »

Rebel wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:47 pm http://rebel13.nl/a/grl.htm

1600 games.

I put you in 110 elo stronger pool than version 4.0 based on your estimate of 2700 elo.

Cool, thank you :)

Zahak's default hash is 10, are you running it with the default hash size or a fixed one for the pool?
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

My policy regarding the hash table size is to use it as out-of-the-box, I consider it as the responsibility of the programmer. Stockfish has a default size of only 16Mb and so it is tested. Of course there are exceptions, for instance Myrddin has a default setting of 1Gb, I have limited it to 128Mb. I have made an exception for Bit-Genie 5 that had only 2Mb and later changed to 8Mb.

I don't understand why programmers release their engine with low hash table sizes knowing how important it is. In case of android versions simply adjust the size, it's a separate compile anyway.
90% of coding is debugging, the other 10% is writing bugs.
amanjpro

Post by amanjpro »

Rebel wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:35 pm My policy regarding the hash table size is to use it as out-of-the-box, I consider it as the responsibility of the programmer. Stockfish has a default size of only 16Mb and so it is tested. Of course there are exceptions, for instance Myrddin has a default setting of 1Gb, I have limited it to 128Mb. I have made an exception for Bit-Genie 5 that had only 2Mb and later changed to 8Mb.

I don't understand why programmers release their engine with low hash table sizes knowing how important it is. In case of android versions simply adjust the size, it's a separate compile anyway.
I see... I had to go for 10MB, to comply with OpenBench... I can understand the argument for having bigger hash size (for enduser, it makes a lot of sense if the hash size is big, so they don't need to configure it themselves). For matches, it shouldn't really matter... But to each rating lists their own set of rules, and I respect them all :)
amanjpro

Post by amanjpro »

Rebel wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:47 pm http://rebel13.nl/a/grl.htm

1600 games.

2686 (less than what I was hoping), now I need to wait for CCRL if I could reach 2700 there (as, when I set the goal, I was thinking about CCRL rating), if not then I need to squeeze some more elo before I call the goal achieves ;)