Crafty NNUE Chess Engine?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

jefk
Full name: Jef Kaan

Re: Crafty NNUE Chess Engine?

Post by jefk »

certainly an interesting project (and i'm glad the output -in the dos-box - still is same, or similar layout, meaning i can use it -via pipe.exe- in my old Bookbuilder program)

However, the engine is very, very slow on my comp, reaching only 14 ply or so in one minute.
Tried Sse2 and SSe3 and such engines normally work in my comp (xeon, few years old).
Looks like there's something wrong, little bug or so (i've used the default nnue).
SF-nnue works fine on my machine, btw.
jdart

Post by jdart »

Note Crafty is not under a traditional open source license. Vafra has apparently been placed under GPL but that should not have been done w/o permission of the original copyright holder (Bob) since the GPL terms conflict with the terms in COPYRIGHT.txt.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

jdart wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 7:41 pm Note Crafty is not under a traditional open source license. Vafra has apparently been placed under GPL but that should not have been done w/o permission of the original copyright holder (Bob) since the GPL terms conflict with the terms in COPYRIGHT.txt.
Indeed, the Vafra engine is not legal in any way shape or form..all links should be removed if Talkchess wanta to remain true to the original Talkchess Charter.
Crafty is the "son" (direct descendent) of the chess program Cray Blitz. it is designed totally around the bit-board data structure for reasons of speed of execution, ease of adding new knowledge, and a significantly cleaner overall design. it is written totally in ANSI C with some few UNIX system calls required for I/O, etc.

Crafty, copyright 1996-2020 by Robert M. Hyatt, Ph.D. Crafty is a team project consisting of the following members:

Robert Hyatt, Pelham, AL.
Mike Byrne, Pen Argyl, PA.
Tracy Riegle, Hershey, PA.
Peter Skinner, Edmonton, AB Canada.
No particular members responsible for any specific aspect of Crafty, although Robert Hyatt wrote 99%+ of the existing code, excepting the Magic move stuff by Pradu Kaanan, syzygy code written by Ronald de Man, and the epd stuff written by S. Edwards.

All rights reserved. No part of this program may be reproduced in any form or by any means, for other than your personal use, without the express written permission of the authors. This program may not be used in whole, nor in part, to enter any computer chess competition without written permission from the authors. Such permission will include the requirement that the program be entered under the name "Crafty" so that the program's ancestry will be known.

Copies of the source must contain the original copyright notice intact. Any changes made to this software must also be made public to comply with the original intent of this software distribution project. These restrictions apply whether the distribution is being done for free or as part or all of a commercial product. The authors retain sole ownership and copyright on this program except for 'personal use' explained below.

Personal use includes any use you make of the program yourself, either by playing games with it yourself, or allowing others to play it on your machine, and requires that if others use the program, it must be clearly identified as "Crafty" to anyone playing it (on a chess server as one example). Personal use does not allow anyone to enter this into a chess tournament where other program authors are invited to participate. IE you can do your own local tournament, with Crafty + other programs, since this is for your personal enjoyment. But you may not enter Crafty into an event where it will be in competition with other programs/programmers without permission as stated previously.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Has anyone asked Dr Hyatt if he has given permission?
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
sarona
Full name: Ron Doughie

Post by sarona »

I tried to delete my post containing the source link but was unable to do so. I noticed in the FAQ, "Please note that normal users cannot delete a post once someone has replied."

Apologies for my mistake. No disrespect to Dr. Hyatt was intended.
supersharp77

Re: Crafty NNUE Chess Engine? SIDETRACKED

Post by supersharp77 »

Absolutely Frustrating....So Disgusted by This Hijacking Of My Original Post......At Least I had one Honest Person who responded to it and for that Honest Response The Poor Person was Bushwacked and Sniped at from multiple Directions...How about this..You Snipers Create your own Thread in "Engine Origins Section" where you can attack and Horsewhip the "author"
Of Vafra to your hearts content..Meanwhile in this Era of NNUE Based chess engines if The Great Original -CRAFTY- is to keep pace with the rest of these "Players" in the NNUE era it may be a Necessary Evil to stay Relevant..That is the KEY question...The rest of this banter I have absolutely no Interest in WHATSOEVER...As a matter of fact perhaps it might have been done already! Who knows? You guys Can Criticise Vafra's "author" ALL you want but that won't Create a Crafty NNUE will it?..I think Not!! Come On Guys!! Who cares About Vafra when you're looking for Crafty? :) :wink:
MikeB wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:01 pm
jdart wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 7:41 pm Note Crafty is not under a traditional open source license. Vafra has apparently been placed under GPL but that should not have been done w/o permission of the original copyright holder (Bob) since the GPL terms conflict with the terms in COPYRIGHT.txt.
Indeed, the Vafra engine is not legal in any way shape or form..all links should be removed if Talkchess wanta to remain true to the original Talkchess Charter.
Crafty is the "son" (direct descendent) of the chess program Cray Blitz. it is designed totally around the bit-board data structure for reasons of speed of execution, ease of adding new knowledge, and a significantly cleaner overall design. it is written totally in ANSI C with some few UNIX system calls required for I/O, etc.

Crafty, copyright 1996-2020 by Robert M. Hyatt, Ph.D. Crafty is a team project consisting of the following members:

Robert Hyatt, Pelham, AL.
Mike Byrne, Pen Argyl, PA.
Tracy Riegle, Hershey, PA.
Peter Skinner, Edmonton, AB Canada.
No particular members responsible for any specific aspect of Crafty, although Robert Hyatt wrote 99%+ of the existing code, excepting the Magic move stuff by Pradu Kaanan, syzygy code written by Ronald de Man, and the epd stuff written by S. Edwards..
MikeB wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 4:12 pm
thunderstruck wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:00 pm There's already a crafty clone with NNUE.(Vafra)
I see he has crafty source , but Vafra is the clone of crafty correct? , where is that source??
Come On Guys...Crafty NNUE.....Focus..Focus.....Thx AR :wink:
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

sarona wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:17 am I tried to delete my post containing the source link but was unable to do so. I noticed in the FAQ, "Please note that normal users cannot delete a post once someone has replied."

I am one of the 'minor' authors of Crafty ( albeit, very minor) , why don't you submit a PR on my Github page , we can work through any issues, and once we have something to share with Bob, we can submit a PR. There is no sense in letting all that good work go to waste. Heck, if it gets accepted you will even get a mention in main.c 8-)

( if the Elo gain is large enough, it could even be Crafty 26.0 )

Please use this as your starting point:

https://github.com/MichaelB7/Crafty
supersharp77

Post by supersharp77 »

MikeB wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:36 am
sarona wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:17 am I tried to delete my post containing the source link but was unable to do so. I noticed in the FAQ, "Please note that normal users cannot delete a post once someone has replied."

I am one of the 'minor' authors of Crafty ( albeit, very minor) , why don't you submit a PR on my Github page , we can work through any issues, and once we have something to share with Bob, we can submit a PR. There is no sense in letting all that good work go to waste. Heck, if it gets accepted you will even get a mention in main.c 8-)

Thanks Mike B...signed up and logged in....created fork # 12 and put in a general description and some basic notes..Let us know what Mr. Hyatt thinks of a Possible Crafty NNUE Project...Best Wishes AR :) :wink:
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

Sarona is not the 'author' of Vafra so I don't quite understand your reply?
He just wanted to help you with finding the source...
https://rwbc-chess.de

trollwatch:
Chessqueen + chessica + AlexChess + Eduard + Sylwy
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Guenther wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:48 am

Sarona is not the 'author' of Vafra so I don't quite understand your reply?
He just wanted to help you with finding the source...
Thanks Guenther, looks like I was simply not paying attention ..