Computers are now superior to humans in turn-based strategy games

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Emre_1974tr
Full name: Emre Karaköse

Computers are now superior to humans in turn-based strategy games

Post by Emre_1974tr »

Computers are now superior to humans in turn-based strategy games(chess, backgammon, go, checkers...).

It's time for real-time strategy games(Red Alert, Football, Basketball, Cossacks...). Computers will soon take over the dominance in this area as well.
MartinBryant
Full name: Martin Bryant

Re: Computers are now superior to humans in turn-based strategy games

Post by MartinBryant »

Emre_1974tr wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 12:49 pm Computers are now superior to humans in turn-based strategy games(chess, backgammon, go, checkers...).

It's time for real-time strategy games(Red Alert, Football, Basketball, Cossacks...). Computers will soon take over the dominance in this area as well.
I thought they already had?
e.g. https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/30/209 ... Craft%20II.
Emre_1974tr
Full name: Emre Karaköse

Post by Emre_1974tr »

Yes, but they are not World champions at Real Time Strategy games yet...
Madeleine Birchfield
Full name: Madeleine Birchfield

Post by Madeleine Birchfield »

Correction: they are superior to humans in two-player competitive turn-based strategy games. Verdict is still unclear for multiplayer turn-based strategy games and cooperative turn-based strategy games.
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

Emre_1974tr wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 12:49 pm Computers are now superior to humans in turn-based strategy games(chess, backgammon, go, checkers...).

Are they superior in all two player competitive turn based strategy games or there are turn based strategy games when humans are still superior?

Are computers stronger than humans in the following game?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess_on_ ... _big_board

Can humans define a turn based game when humans will be stronger than machines in the next 5 years or maybe machines are already strong enough so it is impossible to do it even if the programmer get some high prize of a million dollar to beat or draw the best human in the relevant game in the next 5 years?

I say beat or draw because it is easy to get a draw against the machine by defining a simple game.
Peter Berger

Post by Peter Berger »

Just to point it out: this experiment has actually been done like 20 years ago already.

Uri became a top ICCF player by making like one or two moves by his own decision in a whole tournament. He did great reports on his thinking procedure back then, it was still an intellectual challenge back then - it is not like anyone could have done it.

I only played a single serious correspondence chess game in my life, at a similar time, I was not impressed:

https://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1608803
Peter Berger

Post by Peter Berger »

Peter Berger wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 8:32 pm Just to point it out: this experiment has actually been done like 20 years ago already.

Uri became a top ICCF player by making like one or two moves by his own decision in a whole tournament. He did great reports on his thinking procedure back then, it was still an intellectual challenge back then - it is not like anyone could have done it.

I only played a single serious correspondence chess game in my life, at a similar time, I was not impressed:

https://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1608803
grr - I accidently posted this in the wrong thread - this should have been in the correspondence thread, any moderator can help? :oops:
towforce

Post by towforce »

Uri Blass wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 8:17 pmAre computers stronger than humans in the following game?

Probably not, but mainly because not much effort has gone into writing programs to play this game.

Although the article doesn't mention computers, in the past, a strong human player could win a game in which the game tree grew too quickly, but now Alpha Go has shown that this limitation can be overcome (Go being a game in which humans held out because the game tree grew too quickly for computers).
Writing is the antidote to confusion.
It's not "how smart you are", it's "how are you smart".
Your brain doesn't work the way you want, so train it!
Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias »

MartinBryant wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 2:10 pm

I thought they already had?
e.g. https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/30/209 ... Craft%20II.
For SCII the only way they could make humans competitive was to cap APM, so that the machine didn't micro-manage you to death.
chrisw

Post by chrisw »

Uri Blass wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 8:17 pm

Are they superior in all two player competitive turn based strategy games or there are turn based strategy games when humans are still superior?
Seduction

Are computers stronger than humans in the following game?

Can humans define a turn based game when humans will be stronger than machines in the next 5 years or maybe machines are already strong enough so it is impossible to do it even if the programmer get some high prize of a million dollar to beat or draw the best human in the relevant game in the next 5 years?

I say beat or draw because it is easy to get a draw against the machine by defining a simple game.