Chess Board Options

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

AdminX

Chess Board Options

Post by AdminX »

Hello Larry,

I just downloaded your new book 'Chess Board Options' from Forward Chess and look forward to reading it. :D

https://forwardchess.com/product/chess-board-options
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."
Full name: Kurt Lanc

Re: Chess Board Options

Post by KLc »

I've ordered it on Feb 18, and I'm still waiting for it (amazon.com says publication date is Jul 15).
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

KLc wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:11 pm I've ordered it on Feb 18, and I'm still waiting for it (amazon.com says publication date is Jul 15).
It's available in both book and Kindle form from New In Chess and other European outlets now, but the books won't be available from US outlets like Amazon untiil mid July.
Komodo rules!
Metaphysician
Full name: Neil Kulick

Post by Metaphysician »

I have read an excerpt from the book — it was wonderful — and have already ordered a copy of the book.
Congratulations, GM Kaufman!
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

Really enjoyed going over the Reshevsky - Whitaker (Game 4). I remember reading articles from time to time about Whitaker in the 80's, but seeing that game gave me a little more context as to just how strong he (Whitaker) was as a player. Think about it, 3 years later and Reshevsky was already a contender for the World Chess Championship.

Post by AdminX »

Larry Kaufman wrote: I first met Bobby Fischer in 1964, when he came to Washington D.C. to give a lecture and play a 70+ board simul. Several players rated above me played in the simul, and I would have played, but I judged that I would learn more from watching Fischer play 70 games than from playing one myself.
I laughed when I read this, but thought your logic was spot on! :D Have you ever played a Fischer computer personality that you thought was spot on and if so how did you do?

Post by lkaufman »

AdminX wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:21 am
Larry Kaufman wrote: I first met Bobby Fischer in 1964, when he came to Washington D.C. to give a lecture and play a 70+ board simul. Several players rated above me played in the simul, and I would have played, but I judged that I would learn more from watching Fischer play 70 games than from playing one myself.
I laughed when I read this, but thought your logic was spot on! :D Have you ever played a Fischer computer personality that you thought was spot on and if so how did you do?
I don't think that any computer personalities are much like their human counterparts now, but within a couple years that is likely to change once someone trains NNs based on the games of that person. That's easy to do for players like Nakamura with maybe hundreds of thousands of (mostly blitz) games available, but for players of the pre-computer era like Fischer there won't be enough games to do a very good job.
Komodo rules!
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

lkaufman wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:34 pm
KLc wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:11 pm I've ordered it on Feb 18, and I'm still waiting for it (amazon.com says publication date is Jul 15).
It's available in both book and Kindle form from New In Chess and other European outlets now, but the books won't be available from US outlets like Amazon untiil mid July.
I live in the US and just bought it on Amazon for Kindle
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

JohnW wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:16 am
lkaufman wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:34 pm
I live in the US and just bought it on Amazon for Kindle
"chess4less" in Florida already seems to have it in book form for those who want the physical book.
Komodo rules!