Re-activate old Mephisto Exclusive Chessboards

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Chesstimation
Full name: Andreas Petersik

Re-activate old Mephisto Exclusive Chessboards

Post by Chesstimation »

Hi all,
I am currently working on the development of a new module for the older Mephisto Exclusive chessboads:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRsSblxxqh8
My goal is to publish all required information to be able to build it and also to be able to modify the software.
Currently the hardware is an ESP32 based Lolin32 which runs from a lipo battery. As display I am currently using the same e-paper display as used in DGT's Centaur.
My main goal at the moment is to enable online playing via Lichess by using only an iPhone besides the battery driven board. The only app which seem to be able to do this is the ChessLink app, right? Currently I am able to simulate a Millennium board via USB, but the Bluetooth LE connection does not work. So if anyone would have an idea or experiences with BLE, this would be very welcome!

Best regards,
Andreas
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Re: Re-activate old Mephisto Exclusive Chessboards

Post by mclane »

So the idea is to reuse the old boards with an interface module as I/O devices for Lichess.
And you have the USB running and now want the Bluetooth running, right ?!
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
Chesstimation

Post by Chesstimation »

Hi McLane,
yes, the idea is to interface the old boards to recent software and online chess.
I implemented a simulation of the Certabo boards. This simulation already works with USB and Bluetooth using the original Certabo software (shown in the Youtube video link above) and also Lars' BearChess.
Since the Certabo approach needs an additional Raspberry Pi to interface with an iPhone, I am currently trying to simulate a Millenium / Chesslink device for which there is a iOS app. Here my problem currently is the Bluetooth communication via BLE. The Chesslink app already recognizes my simulated board, but no messages are received from the app.
mclane

Post by mclane »

The idea to have the many many boards used as a modern I/O interface is a good idea, although i would appreciate to get new moduls with new engines as a successor of those the company HG once constructed under mephisto Label.
wickedpotus
Full name: Aron Rodgriges

Post by wickedpotus »

It would be cool with a rasberry PI as a module with possibility to use any UCI engine as a replacement module.. Or also use the Pi to connect to an UCI compliant remote connector over Wifi..

Don't really see the need for an "app" and BLE. Wifi is fine and most modern phone could also be used as hotspots for wifi connectivity.
mclane

Post by mclane »

We have thousands of UCI engines on pc and other Rasberry pi machines or mobile phones.

But using the old mephisto boards the engines could be part of a real dedicated chess computer wkth real plastic or wooden chess board.
Chesstimation

Post by Chesstimation »

@mclane and wickedpotus
Okay, to integrate e.g. a Raspberry Pi Zero W into a Mephisto module should be quite straightforward. A larger raspberry pi, e.g. the pi4 would require some more effort due to the size of the USB and Ethernet ports.
Would you think a Pi Zero W would be sufficient? Or are you aiming for the maximum performance inside the Mephisto module?
Would you like to see a full Linux desktop on a 2.8" Touchscreen or would you prefer a simplyfied user interface?

Best regards,
Andreas
mclane

Post by mclane »

I am not interested in a hyper strong engine. I would like to see engines between 1600-2100.

E.g. Gandalf UCI or diep UCI or Rebel UCI as module ...

2600-3400 elo is IMO uninteresting because too strong
wickedpotus
Full name: Aron Rodgriges

Post by wickedpotus »

Chesstimation wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:30 pm @mclane and wickedpotus
Okay, to integrate e.g. a Raspberry Pi Zero W into a Mephisto module should be quite straightforward. A larger raspberry pi, e.g. the pi4 would require some more effort due to the size of the USB and Ethernet ports.
Would you think a Pi Zero W would be sufficient? Or are you aiming for the maximum performance inside the Mephisto module?
Would you like to see a full Linux desktop on a 2.8" Touchscreen or would you prefer a simplyfied user interface?

Best regards,
Andreas
A Pi Zero W/WH would probably be great .. Don't know what Engines could run OK on it but lets say it could kind of plug & play to a UCI engine over Wifi (for example send command trough rest-API or similar to a http-listener that could talk to any UCI compliant engine on a PC.. it would be really cool, I think.
Chesstimation

Post by Chesstimation »

@wickedpotus
In the video linked in my first post, I simulate a Certabo board and use the freely available Certabo online software to play on lichess.
In the same way it is possible to use the other freely available Certabo software to play against software on your laptop. In this software you can add any UCI engine. Also the BearChess software is compatible to my Mephisto module and thus you are also able to use any UCI engine.