Is Carlsen improving with AlphaZero ?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Chessqueen
Full name: Jorge Picado

Is Carlsen improving with AlphaZero ?

Post by Chessqueen »

Is that why Magnus Carlsen lately playing so many weird Openings :?:
Who is 17 years old GM Gukesh 2nd at the Candidate in Toronto?
https://indianexpress.com/article/sport ... t-9281394/
Cornfed
Full name: Brian D. Smith

Re: Is Carlsen improving with AlphaZero ?

Post by Cornfed »

Chessqueen wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:09 am Is that why Magnus Carlsen lately playing so many weird Openings :?:
I think you labor under a false idea - Carlsen is NOT improving. Indeed, he seems to think his chess is in a bit of crisis.

And while I'm at it, I absolutely hate when the broadcast 'talking heads' talk about h4 or a4 as "an idea borrowed from Alpha Zero"...strong human GM's have been playing that for ages (think Larsen...) to soften up a wing in hopes of exploiting it later on.
M ANSARI

Post by M ANSARI »

Nonsense! Magnus has pushing his h pawn before Alpha Zero came out. As for his weird openings ... the guy likes to have fun with chess and why not ... if you are as good as he is and can get away with it! It is really incredible to see his skills in bullet ... he will readily go into a losing opening if he thinks there is enough counter play. He doesn't care who is on the other side and it is impressive how superior he is to all other super GM's once the opening preparation disappears.
Cornfed
Full name: Brian D. Smith

Post by Cornfed »

M ANSARI wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:28 pm Nonsense! Magnus has pushing his h pawn before Alpha Zero came out. As for his weird openings ... the guy likes to have fun with chess and why not ... if you are as good as he is and can get away with it! It is really incredible to see his skills in bullet ... he will readily go into a losing opening if he thinks there is enough counter play. He doesn't care who is on the other side and it is impressive how superior he is to all other super GM's once the opening preparation disappears.
"likes to have fun"...perhaps that is a way of saying it. I think simply that that there is SO MUCH PREPARATION in chess, that he figures he is 'good enough' to make 'questionable' opening decisions (especially with black) and get enough of an imbalance somewhere that he can outplay his unprepared opponents.
I call it 'ego'...and why I've long said (only) Magnus can beat Magnus...of course, anyone can lose, but he really pushes the envelope!