Tester needed

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Look
Full name: Mehdi Amini

Re: Tester needed

Post by Look »

smatovic wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:10 pm
Look wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:13 am
smatovic wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:20 am It might not solve your current issues, but in general Google Cloud Platform, AWS, MS Azure offer VM with remote access, different hardware specs and OS for renting on demand.

--
Srdja
Due to my location I can not access some of these cloud platforms. Even if I could , I suspect the price is not so cheap for me to pay.
Sorry, I did not check your location, so Western clouds are not an option, I would suggest to use OpenBench by Andrew Grant et al., but it seems it uses GitHub to distribute the source code, again no option for your project...
I have a GitHub account. Who are the testers behind OpenBench ; some volunteers or I have to find someone ?
Farewell.
smatovic
Full name: Srdja Matovic

Post by smatovic »

Look wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:38 pm
smatovic wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:20 am It might not solve your current issues, but in general Google Cloud Platform, AWS, MS Azure offer VM with remote access, different hardware specs and OS for renting on demand.

--
Srdja
Due to my location I can not access some of these cloud platforms. Even if I could , I suspect the price is not so cheap for me to pay.
Sorry, I did not check your location, so Western clouds are not an option, I would suggest to use OpenBench by Andrew Grant et al., but it seems it uses GitHub to distribute the source code, again no option for your project...
I have a GitHub account. Who are the testers behind OpenBench ; some volunteers or I have to find someone ?
I am not into the details, never used it on my own, there seem to be several volunteers contributing CPU time, not sure who runs the show in the back and what the conditions are to join:

https://www.chessprogramming.org/OpenBench

http://chess.grantnet.us/index/

--
Srdja
AndrewGrant
Full name: Andrew Grant

Post by AndrewGrant »

smatovic wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:53 pm
Look wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:38 pm

--
Srdja
I am not into the details, never used it on my own, there seem to be several volunteers contributing CPU time, not sure who runs the show in the back and what the conditions are to join:

https://www.chessprogramming.org/OpenBench

http://chess.grantnet.us/index/

--
Srdja
So I would be the person to contact (and he has). OpenBench is for testing public, open source engines. Private repos and engines simply cannot be done, unless you want the OpenBench client to have access to it, in which case its not private.

Additionally, I have no interest in Stockfish forks, or Stockfish itself. They have their own framework running. I'm maintaining this testing aperatus for the little guys. And Noobpwnftw is generously having his machines hop around two different openbench instances, and his own workloads, in order to make this hobby possible for us.

There are no clear rules on what I will add. I'm a dictator. Likely its gotta be open source, original, doing something different internally than the norm, and has a code base with clarity that can be "of use" to someone else. OpenBench is a very community oriented thing. Weiss author will write a patch, and I'll say wow that looks interesting let me try a few versions of that in Ethereal. And if it works in Ethereal too, then everyone will hop on board and give the idea a change to some degree. If patches are written to an engine with an ungodly code base, it serves no benefit to others.
#WeAreAllDraude #JusticeForDraude #RememberDraude #LeptirBigUltra
"Those who can't do, clone instead" - Eduard ( A real life friend, not this forum's Eduard )
Look

Post by Look »

[...]
AndrewGrant wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:20 pm
So I would be the person to contact (and he has). OpenBench is for testing public, open source engines. Private repos and engines simply cannot be done, unless you want the OpenBench client to have access to it, in which case its not private.
The code needs a bit of cleanup. That was real reason I wanted it private. After some work , I can have the fork public too.
Additionally, I have no interest in Stockfish forks, or Stockfish itself. They have their own framework running. I'm maintaining this testing aperatus for the little guys. And Noobpwnftw is generously having his machines hop around two different openbench instances, and his own workloads, in order to make this hobby possible for us.
It seems to me that they do not test Cfish.
There are no clear rules on what I will add. I'm a dictator. Likely its gotta be open source, original, doing something different internally than the norm, and has a code base with clarity that can be "of use" to someone else. OpenBench is a very community oriented thing. Weiss author will write a patch, and I'll say wow that looks interesting let me try a few versions of that in Ethereal. And if it works in Ethereal too, then everyone will hop on board and give the idea a change to some degree. If patches are written to an engine with an ungodly code base, it serves no benefit to others.
I have to accept your decision anyhow. If some other people are interested to test the fork , inform me.
Farewell.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Gabor Szots wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:09 am
Look wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:02 am We received notice from electricity company to use less electricity.
That's odd. Normally, if you pay your bills you use as much electricity as you wish.
He is based in Iran. Electricity can be a problem there.
Look

Post by Look »

Cfish has GPL 3 license. I suppose it means we have to supply code with binaries and also GPL license. But there is the possibility of receiving donations too. I may pay some of donations to tester in case of success in this project.
Farewell.