For those with very slow PC to run your Engines Ryzen Mini PC

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Chessqueen
Full name: Jorge Picado

For those with very slow PC to run your Engines Ryzen Mini PC

Post by Chessqueen »

Do NOT worry and be happy, we all live a short life :roll:
Chessqueen

Re: For those with very slow PC to run your Engines Ryzen Mini PC

Post by Chessqueen »

Chessqueen wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:11 pm
It is almost as fast as an intel i7 3.40 GHz for only $450.00
wickedpotus
Full name: Aron Rodgriges

Post by wickedpotus »

Thats a pretty old mini-PC..

You can get newer much faster mini-PCs for a little more, that are balzingly fast for Chess engines..

Chessqueen

Post by Chessqueen »

wickedpotus wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:54 pm Thats a pretty old mini-PC..

You can get newer much faster mini-PCs for a little more, that are balzingly fast for Chess engines..

Where can you get it faster for less than $600.00, remember this is an alternative instead of upgrading your current PC with a faster CPU or GPU :roll:
wickedpotus

Post by wickedpotus »

Chessqueen wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:01 pm

Where can you get it faster for less than $600.00, remember this is an alternative instead of upgrading your current PC with a faster CPU or GPU :roll:
I found ASRock 4x4 BOX-4800U AMD online for 580usd. Why is there a "hard" cap on price,.. You Kind of get what you pay for and with chip shortages things are not free today...
Chessqueen

Post by Chessqueen »

wickedpotus wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:45 pm

I found ASRock 4x4 BOX-4800U AMD online for 580usd. Why is there a "hard" cap on price,.. You Kind of get what you pay for and with chip shortages things are not free today...
I understand that you pay what you get for, but the issue here is weather to replace your current old chip on your old PC or to get an alternative for the same price or close to it and get the same performance as upgrading your CPU or GPU for the Money.
https://www.newegg.com/asrock-4x4-box-4 ... lsrc=aw.ds
wickedpotus

Post by wickedpotus »

Chessqueen wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:02 pm

I understand that you pay what you get for, but the issue here is weather to replace your current old chip on your old PC or to get an alternative for the same price or close to it and get the same performance as upgrading your CPU or GPU for the Money.
It's impossible to have a single answer about this as it depends what machine you have to begin with, have what upgrade options there are (based on system-board etc) and what price you can get for a new mini-PC... Even by buying a "new" PC you could reuse for example SSD and/or DRAM from the old one etc.
Chessqueen

Post by Chessqueen »

wickedpotus wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:14 am
Chessqueen wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:02 pm

It's impossible to have a single answer about this as it depends what machine you have to begin with, have what upgrade options there are (based on system-board etc) and what price you can get for a new mini-PC... Even by buying a "new" PC you could reuse for example SSD and/or DRAM from the old one etc.
I believe it all depends if you have a PC which is or Perform equal or less than an intel i7 4770 3.40 GHz, which you can only purchase for less than $350.00 as a refurbished, if NOT to get this ASRock 4x4 BOX-4800U AMD is a great alternative :roll:
Chessqueen

Post by Chessqueen »

https://www.geekbuying.com/item/Minisfo ... 26887.html
It is stronger than an intel i7 3.40 GHz and for the prize you can NOT go wrong
wickedpotus

Post by wickedpotus »

Chessqueen wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:41 pm

https://www.geekbuying.com/item/Minisfo ... 26887.html
It is stronger than an intel i7 3.40 GHz and for the prize you can NOT go wrong
Absolutely... Anyone interested in Price/perfomance for Chess should look no further than AMD-based machines these days, Intel and Apple are lagging big-time in both price and performance.. And if GPU-engines are used - expansion with Nvidia-GPU is king.