Dragon Human Personality

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

KLc
Full name: Kurt Lanc

Dragon Human Personality

Post by KLc »

I was playing around with the Human personality of the Dragon engine (in MCTS mode). Why are the evaluations so exaggerated? For example for the Scandinavian 1. e4 d5 I get +1.6. And then when I take 2. exd5 the score drops to around 0. Is this normal? Also, how realistic is the Human personality actually?
lkaufman

Re: Dragon Human Personality

Post by lkaufman »

KLc wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:21 am I was playing around with the Human personality of the Dragon engine (in MCTS mode). Why are the evaluations so exaggerated? For example for the Scandinavian 1. e4 d5 I get +1.6. And then when I take 2. exd5 the score drops to around 0. Is this normal? Also, how realistic is the Human personality actually?
The personalities (such as "Human") use non-standard parameter settings, in particular "Human" uses a high Contempt setting (you might say it is emulating a conceited or cocky human, not an average one!). So it thinks White is much better than his real advantage when it is White, and it thinks Black is much better off than in reality when it is Black. Note that the personalities don't use NNUE ("dragon mode") since they depend on parameters that are not used by NNUE. The personalities came before NNUE; in my personal opinion NNUE already plays more like a human than the Human mode does, because it plays by patterns somewhat like humans do. Also MCTS mode makes it even more like a human as the search does not assume that it can always predict the opponent's reply. But the Skill levels don't work with MCTS, something we can address in the future perhaps.
Komodo rules!
KLc
Full name: Kurt Lanc

Post by KLc »

OK, thanks for the explanations! (Maybe you can add this to the official documentation?)
n4k3dw4ff13s
Full name: Ifti Ram

Post by n4k3dw4ff13s »

lkaufman wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:21 pm
KLc wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:21 am I was playing around with the Human personality of the Dragon engine (in MCTS mode). Why are the evaluations so exaggerated? For example for the Scandinavian 1. e4 d5 I get +1.6. And then when I take 2. exd5 the score drops to around 0. Is this normal? Also, how realistic is the Human personality actually?
The personalities (such as "Human") use non-standard parameter settings, in particular "Human" uses a high Contempt setting (you might say it is emulating a conceited or cocky human, not an average one!). So it thinks White is much better than his real advantage when it is White, and it thinks Black is much better off than in reality when it is Black. Note that the personalities don't use NNUE ("dragon mode") since they depend on parameters that are not used by NNUE. The personalities came before NNUE; in my personal opinion NNUE already plays more like a human than the Human mode does, because it plays by patterns somewhat like humans do. Also MCTS mode makes it even more like a human as the search does not assume that it can always predict the opponent's reply. But the Skill levels don't work with MCTS, something we can address in the future perhaps.
Has this been updated or changed in anyway? Do the personalities work with NNUE now and does skill level work with MCTS now?
n4k3dw4ff13s

Post by n4k3dw4ff13s »

Has this been updated in anyway? Do the personalities work with NNUE now and does the MCTS work with skill level now?
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

n4k3dw4ff13s wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:14 am
Has this been updated in anyway? Do the personalities work with NNUE now and does the MCTS work with skill level now?
No, this is still current info. The personalities really can't work with NNUE since NNUE doesn't provide the information needed to favor various aspects of a personality.
Komodo rules!
n4k3dw4ff13s

Post by n4k3dw4ff13s »

Thanks for the update!
Fritz 0
Full name: Branislav Đošić

Post by Fritz 0 »

Regarding this, does MCTS mode work properly at fixed depth, as a GUI option? If it does, that actually combines MCTS and skill levels.
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

Fritz 0 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:04 pm
Regarding this, does MCTS mode work properly at fixed depth, as a GUI option? If it does, that actually combines MCTS and skill levels.
No, depth is not a real figure for mcts, we just use a function of the mcts node count to display. We could define levels by this function, but even a one mcts node search would play in or near GM level, so this isn’t suitable.
Komodo rules!
Chessqueen
Full name: Jorge Picado

Post by Chessqueen »

lkaufman wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:16 am
Fritz 0 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:04 pm
No, depth is not a real figure for mcts, we just use a function of the mcts node count to display. We could define levels by this function, but even a one mcts node search would play in or near GM level, so this isn’t suitable.
I purchased Dragon 3.2 for my nephew yesterday, and he asked me today why the Minimum Elo is NOT as low as 1000, he just started to play chess 3 months ago, but the Minimum Elo that you can set Dragon is = 1320 which is too high for him :?:
Do NOT worry and be happy, we all live a short life :roll: