Time to rethink what Vasik Rajlich has done?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Milos

Re: Time to rethink what Vasik Rajlich has done?

Post by Milos »

hgm wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:47 pm
Peter Berger wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:18 pmYou start with a wrong assumption here, namely that this rule would have been applied to every tournament entry.
Ah, yes, I forgot. It is perfectly OK to use doping in the Tour de France. Anyone who thinks differently goes from the wrong assumption that all participants will be tested for doping, and should have his mind fixed... :roll:
So you have a proof that not all participants are randomly tested at Tour de France and that some are privileged?
Milos

Post by Milos »

towforce wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:54 pm The events happened around 10 years. The source code no longer has any competitive or commercial value.

I am bewildered that people are fighting passionately for a man who, if innocent, could have cleared his name at the drop of a hat at any time in the last 10 years.

What evidence is there that there's no copied code in Rybka?
Ok, so I am accusing you of being pedophile, now go ahead bring evidence and prove that you are not. :lol:
What happened to you, logic reasoning suddenly dropped to a level of 3-year old one?
chrisw

Post by chrisw »

hgm wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:44 pm
Rebel wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:49 pmIT WAS NEVER ASKED [!]
How is that relevant?

Chris accused him of having no intention to give it, even when asked. That is a pretty damning accusation.
Not even wrong. Troll.
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

How is that relevant?
Well, it's you who said that we can't know. We can.
Chris accused him of having no intention to give it, even when asked. That is a pretty damning accusation.
As a commercial, someone who took the risk to make a living in the paper thin market of chess programming, it's one thing to show your secrets to the tournament director DURING a tournament without the risk of leaking, or to hand it over to competitors. In his situation I won't do it either. It's that what Chris was telling you. You act if you don't understand that calling it a damning accusation. You are lying. You did understand him.
90% of coding is debugging, the other 10% is writing bugs.
Michel

Post by Michel »

Rebel wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:59 pm
How is that relevant?
As a commercial, someone who took the risk to make a living in the paper thin market of chess programming, it's one thing to show your secrets to the tournament director DURING a tournament without the risk of leaking, or to hand it over to competitors. In his situation I won't do it either. It's that what Chris was telling you. You act if you don't understand that calling it a damning accusation. You are lying. You did understand him.
Come'on, the source code of R1.0b had no commercial value anymore (and there was already Strelka anyway).
Ideas=science. Simplification=engineering.
Without ideas there is nothing to simplify.
towforce

Post by towforce »

Milos wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:27 pmOk, so I am accusing you of being pedophile, now go ahead bring evidence and prove that you are not. :lol:

1. You have a clear motive for saying that: you're making a point

2. There's only one of you making the accusation - not several good people

3. The accusation is not backed up by a document of evidence

4. If I was being accused of being a paedophile by the CPS, and there was an obvious way to exonerate myself, I would probably take that option
Writing is the antidote to confusion.
It's not "how smart you are", it's "how are you smart".
Your brain doesn't work the way you want, so train it!
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Rebel wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:59 pm Well, it's you who said that we can't know. We can.
I don't think so. You were not with Vas all the time. That it wasn't asked is just your opinion. You have shown no proof.
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Michel wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:31 pm
Rebel wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:59 pm
How is that relevant?
Come'on, the source code of R1.0b had no commercial value anymore (and there was already Strelka anyway).
Exactly the reason why there was no demand.

But decompiled rybka1.exe + assumptions + errors ≠ source code.

Also if you compare the Strelka source code (with its zillion of tables) with Fruit (which has only one - King Safety), Strelka (bit-board) Fruit (mailbox) they look nothing alike because in the end Strelka also was a decompile based on assumed code, good assumed code nevertheless with errors by the words of Vas.
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

hgm wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:50 pm
Rebel wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:59 pm Well, it's you who said that we can't know. We can.
I don't think so. You were not with Vas all the time. That it wasn't asked is just your opinion. You have shown no proof.
So, if can find the posting(s) were Watkins, Wegner or Hyatt state there was no demand you will retract?
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

It would certainly help. But it would only prove that they did not demand it, right?