How perform stockfish 14 in odd match?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Marcus9
Full name: Marco Giorgio

How perform stockfish 14 in odd match?

Post by Marcus9 »

Quoting the description of stockfish 14: "the new network is not only larger, but more importantly, it deals better with large material imbalances".
Has anyone done any tests versus other engines? What is expected of the outcome against humans? Is now a good competitor against Dragon 2 MCTS in odd match?
MikeB

Re: How perform stockfish 14 in odd match?

Post by MikeB »

Marcus9 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:56 pm Quoting the description of stockfish 14: "the new network is not only larger, but more importantly, it deals better with large material imbalances".
Has anyone done any tests versus other engines? What is expected of the outcome against humans? Is now a good competitor against Dragon 2 MCTS in odd match?
What is expected of the outcome against humans?
Stockfish will win.

I will let others answer your other questions.
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

MikeB wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:16 am
Marcus9 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:56 pm Quoting the description of stockfish 14: "the new network is not only larger, but more importantly, it deals better with large material imbalances".
Stockfish will win.

I think he was asking how Stockfish 14 would do against strong human players giving them knight odds, as we have been doing lately. Of course the answer depends on who the players are, and the time limit. Were you answering this question or just stating the obvious fact that Stockfish will win without a handicap? Perhaps I'll play against SF 14 myself at knight odds in Rapid to see for myself; I'm pretty even with Dragon that way, roughly 1/3 wins, 1/3 losses, 1/3 draws.
Komodo rules!
Chessqueen
Full name: Jorge Picado

Re: How would stockfish 14 perform in odd match?

Post by Chessqueen »

I believe that the latest Stockfish 14 with the newer NET might perform as good as Komodo MCTS 2 but unless somebody test it in a match against the same opponent such as IM TOTH with Knight odds we will never know the answer :roll:
Do NOT worry and be happy, we all live a short life :roll:
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

lkaufman wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:22 am
Stockfish will win.

I think he was asking how Stockfish 14 would do against strong human players giving them knight odds, as we have been doing lately. Of course the answer depends on who the players are, and the time limit. Were you answering this question or just stating the obvious fact that Stockfish will win without a handicap? Perhaps I'll play against SF 14 myself at knight odds in Rapid to see for myself; I'm pretty even with Dragon that way, roughly 1/3 wins, 1/3 losses, 1/3 draws.
Indeed , my bad for noticing the word "odd".
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

MikeB wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:06 pm
lkaufman wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:22 am
Stockfish will win.

Indeed , my bad for noticing the word "odd".
I suppose the missing "s" (the word should be "odds") threw you. Anyway, as I noted in another thread, SF 14 doesn't seem to know that trading pieces is bad when it is down a piece, so I could beat it easily at knight odds even in blitz. Lc0 is pretty good at giving knight odds now, so Dragon does has some competition in this arena, but not from Stockfish.
Komodo rules!