Gary Kasparov 58 Years old is no longer 2812 use your engine

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Chessqueen
Full name: Jorge Picado

Gary Kasparov 58 Years old is no longer 2812 use your engine

Post by Chessqueen »

GM Kasparov is listed at 2812, but he has NOT played active for a long time and lost about 110 rating point at least, the most that Gary is at the moment is 2722. Use your engine to evaluate his position he was winning and due to the lack of practice and time control lost a winning game :roll:

Watch it Live ==>
Do NOT worry and be happy, we all live a short life :roll:
jdart

Re: Gary Kasparov 58 Years old is no longer 2812 use your engine

Post by jdart »

He scored only 0.5 points in the Croatian blitz tournament yesterday. But you have to remember, these are very strong GMs he is playing, including WC Candidate Nepomniachtchi, Grischuk, Giri, etc. And he's retired, and much older than they are. There are not a lot of players who could pop in and score well against that field.
mvanthoor
Full name: Marcel Vanthoor

Post by mvanthoor »

Personally I think Kasparov is just playing because he knows he can't be top 5 of the world anymore, but he also doesn't want to completely stop playing. So he plays in these rapid/blitz tournaments.

- It doesn't put his 2800+ retirement rating at risk.
- He can still play chess, against current-day players.
- If he plays well, everybody will cheer him on: "See that Garry can still hang with the current GM's when in form?!"
- If he doesn't play well, everybody will be like: "Aah, but he's 58, and retired, doesn't have a lot of practice."
- His self-professed mission is now to promote chess. How could he do that better than actually play chess?
- He'll probably get paid for it, because even when retired, a legend like that will attract attention.

It's a win-win for him all around, and for the tournaments as well. As long as he can keep finishing somewhere in the middle of the field or just above, I'll bet he'll keep doing this. He's probably never going to enter into a classical time control tournament again, and he'll stop doing the rapid/blitz thing when he starts finishing at the bottom of the field. At that point, his invitations will probably dry up as well. Nobody wants to pay big money for the old master to see him finish last (just in front of the new 15-y/o...) one tournament after another.

One person that still seems to be active in classical chess of which I didn't know about, who is even from the time before Kasparov is Jan Timman: the "Best of the West", who had his prime time between roughly 1979 and 1994. He's still playing in classical tournaments at the age of almost 70. (He's now 70, but obviously hasn't played in the last two years because of COVID.)

I always liked Timman's play. He had the a great tactical, risk-taking style. At the time where other top players were narrowing down their opening repertoire to the size of a large swimming pool, he played an ocean of openings. He played literally EVERYTHING. It's often said that, if he had specialized in some openings and cut down on the risk-taking, he would have had a chance to end up in the world championship finals in the 80's. He has been second behind Karpov, and then third behind Karpov and Kasparov for quite some time, so it seems plausible...

(A player in the same vein is Invanchuk. Pity he dropped out of the top 25 so fast, and seemingly lost interest in chess as he's now playing droughts, apparently..)
Author of Rustic, an engine written in Rust.
Releases | Code | Docs | Progress | CCRL
jdart

Post by jdart »

Viktor Korchnoi kept up a high rating for a very long time, even as an old man. He was in the top 100 at age 75.
Chessqueen

Post by Chessqueen »

mvanthoor wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:04 pm Personally I think Kasparov is just playing because he knows he can't be top 5 of the world anymore, but he also doesn't want to completely stop playing. So he plays in these rapid/blitz tournaments.

- It doesn't put his 2800+ retirement rating at risk.
- He can still play chess, against current-day players.
- If he plays well, everybody will cheer him on: "See that Garry can still hang with the current GM's when in form?!"
- If he doesn't play well, everybody will be like: "Aah, but he's 58, and retired, doesn't have a lot of practice."
- His self-professed mission is now to promote chess. How could he do that better than actually play chess?
- He'll probably get paid for it, because even when retired, a legend like that will attract attention.

It's a win-win for him all around, and for the tournaments as well. As long as he can keep finishing somewhere in the middle of the field or just above, I'll bet he'll keep doing this. He's probably never going to enter into a classical time control tournament again, and he'll stop doing the rapid/blitz thing when he starts finishing at the bottom of the field. At that point, his invitations will probably dry up as well. Nobody wants to pay big money for the old master to see him finish last (just in front of the new 15-y/o...) one tournament after another.
You are correct, but he can not even compete against this 16 years old in Blitz GM Nihal, what is the rule of touched pieces in Blitz do you have to play it, and when it is considered an adjustment ? GM Nihal touched his g pawn but moved his f Bishop to g2 or Bg2 ==>

Last edited by Chessqueen on Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mvanthoor
Full name: Marcel Vanthoor

Post by mvanthoor »

jdart wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:19 pm Viktor Korchnoi kept up a high rating for a very long time, even as an old man. He was in the top 100 at age 75.
I know. He was an impressive player in that regard. He kept playing competitive chess right up to his death.

Unfortunately, I never really liked his playing style. (I also never really liked Karpov's positional style.)
Author of Rustic, an engine written in Rust.
Releases | Code | Docs | Progress | CCRL
Chessqueen

Post by Chessqueen »

mvanthoor wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:40 pm
jdart wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:19 pm Viktor Korchnoi kept up a high rating for a very long time, even as an old man. He was in the top 100 at age 75.
I know. He was an impressive player in that regard. He kept playing competitive chess right up to his death.

Unfortunately, I never really liked his playing style. (I also never really liked Karpov's positional style.)
There was a chess player back in early 1900 that dressed like a clown and was a very decent player, I really like his dressing style, regardless how he played :roll:

Kasparov showing his age and inactivity
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

Thank allot, I had no clue I was turning 58 this year! :twisted: :twisted:
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."
Full name: Damir Desevac

Post by Damir »

Ted you age like an old wine... :wink: :wink:
Marek Soszynski

Post by Marek Soszynski »

Chessqueen wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:49 pm There was a chess player back in early 1900 that dressed like a clown and was a very decent player, I really like his dressing style, regardless how he played :roll:
Really? Who?

I remember a player who used to go to chess tournaments dressed in a white lab coat and rubber boots (wellingtons).
Marek Soszynski