Moderator Elections (Comments)

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Re: Moderator Elections (Comments)

Post by hgm »

Actually it seems that Sam has left us with a very good solution for limiting registration to humans. (We seem to have a captcha that requires chess knowledge to answer; I never tried it myself.) So the current procedure is simply to activate all acocunts that manage to complete the registration, and have given an unsuspect real name. Although there is a surprisingly large number of registrants who never post anything, I have yet to see the first spammer that got through this way. We had a few spam postings recently, but they where from an account that used to post genuine computer-chess stuff. So I suppose the guy's computer or account got hacked.

So it is not like an unbearably heavy job; it is more that a moderator here almost never has to do anything.
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Harvey, HGM -

I noticed you deleted posts, including mine. Care to explain about the why?

People have seen the false accusation and there are accusations and accusations so is live on internet fora but this one of Tony is way over the top and I want to properly defend myself against this mean accusation. Therefore I would appreciate it if you would put the deleted posts back. Meanwhile I contacted Tony with the wish that he publicly withdraws his accusation.

Meanwhile (2) - I am keeping a copy on - https://prodeo.actieforum.com/t462-elec ... n-ccc#3830
90% of coding is debugging, the other 10% is writing bugs.
Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Rebel wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:50 am Harvey, HGM -

I noticed you deleted posts, including mine. Care to explain about the why?

People have seen the false accusation and there are accusations and accusations so is live on internet fora but this one of Tony is way over the top and I want to properly defend myself against this mean accusation. Therefore I would appreciate it if you would put the deleted posts back. Meanwhile I contacted Tony with the wish that he publicly withdraws his accusation.

Meanwhile (2) - I am keeping a copy on - https://prodeo.actieforum.com/t462-elec ... n-ccc#3830
Because they were totally off topic. This thread is to discuss the election. Tony's post was also removed.
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Ok, I understand your good intentions.

However I do think it is on-topic, I would not vote for a person with such low standards.

YMMV.
hgm

Post by hgm »

An undocumented accusation is against the charter, so Harvey did a good job in removing it as soon as he saw it. The entire idea of having a moderated forum is to remove the necessity for people to discuss each other's alleged character flaws. Such discussions might seem important to the involved, but are very annoying for everyone else.

Normally I would keep removing any follow ups. But since you feel it has bearing on your suitability for moderator, I will leave up your 6:50am posting. This should suffice: you have told there that any accusation readers might have seen (but probably didn't...) is false, and the fact it was removed should tell the readers all they need to know. I don't think the accusation itself is fit for printing. But if you want to go into detail (which I think would be a mistake), you can do it on thr ProDeo forum, and I will leave the link to it that you already posted.
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Ok, thanks.
dkappe
Full name: Dietrich Kappe

Post by dkappe »

After all this back and forth, my dream ticket is now Rebel, HGM and Graham Banks (to keep the former two from coming to blows).
Fat Titz by Stockfish, the engine with the bodaciously big net. Remember: size matters. If you want to learn more about this engine just google for "Fat Titz".
Peter Berger

Post by Peter Berger »

dkappe wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:27 pm After all this back and forth, my dream ticket is now Rebel, HGM and Graham Banks (to keep the former two from coming to blows).
Probably the moderator question just doesn't matter that much.

IMHO hgm did his +very+ best to behave as useless as possible in his moderator role. This is supposed to be a personal judgement on his performance, he might of course be one of the nicest person IRL.

Did his behaviour make that much of a difference in the long run? Probably not.

But as this is supposed to be the comment section: Ed will be reasonable ( as proven in the past) , hgm will be useless ( as proven by his recent performance) , no idea what would qualify chrisw to moderate anything but his own posts .

Graham would probably be an asset for any potential team, he seems to be one of the people with a natural talent for such a job. No idea about others.

This is not the reason for my post though. I want to point out, that the working schedule has changed quite a lot if moderators have to take care of new applications, too, and it is essential that this is done in a competent way. It seems hgm did this recently. Who of the new candidates would be willing to deal with this task?

Peter
Henk

Post by Henk »

One can also put people with matching personalities in a team.
Devil invented enneagram says: type 5 match with 7, 1 with 9, 4 with 6 etcetera.
Or put people with similar cognitive functions in a team: ENTP + INTP, INTJ + ENTJ, ISTJ + ENFP etcetera.
hgm

Post by hgm »

Activating new registrations is not a moderator task. The board software is such that only an admin can do that. Moderators just have the privilege of editing, deleting or moving other people's postings, in the forum sections they are appointed to moderate.

BTW, now that CTF is closed, there is no reason to have multiple moderation teams, so the Chess Players Forum will also be placed under jurisdiction of the single team we will be electing.

In the interest of democracy and progress, I think it should be possible to decide on the organization of the forum (number of sections, and their intended content) through elections; a convenient method for doing this could be to allow moderator candidates to propose alterations to the forum structure in the policy statements they run with. Voting for a moderator then also means voting for the forum structure that moderator prefers. I could for instance imagine that a separate section of training and implementing neural networks would be useful.