Moderator Elections (Comments)

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

dkappe
Full name: Dietrich Kappe

Re: Moderator Elections (Comments)

Post by dkappe »

AndrewGrant wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:46 am Am I crazy for liking the idea of having both HGM and Rebel as moderators? The two disagree with each other. Constantly. Over everything. Seems that relationship is dated. -- But that means things they agree on are probably things that are sensible. The overlap of posts which HGM is against, and the posts that Rebel is against, is probably a strict subset of what I am against...
+1
Fat Titz by Stockfish, the engine with the bodaciously big net. Remember: size matters. If you want to learn more about this engine just google for "Fat Titz".
Alexander Schmidt

Post by Alexander Schmidt »

karger wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:56 am The forum you linked to has a post in it's humor section about Hitler being humorous. I am of German Jewish descent & found that disgusting & will never post on your forum , much less vote for a moderator. Shame on your entire forum. John Karger.
You take this completely out of context, suggesting Ed Schröder tolerates Hitler supporters. Shame on you.
karger wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:37 am Get over it , Junior ... 😢
Looks more to me like you should get over it. Concentrate on the problems we have right now in the world.
willmorton
Full name: William Morton

Re: Moderator Elections

Post by willmorton »

hgm wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:51 am I had not set a deadline yet; first I wanted to see how eager people were to propose candidates. We want to have both a reasonable number of (accepting) candidates, and a reasonable amount of time for everyone to react. So I wanted to wait until we have 8-10 candidates, and then announce, say one more week for anyone else to come forward.
Seems fair.
One more question...who can vote?
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

The most internet „users“ are in fact internet „victims“.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

It's not a question of fair. Since the foundation of this forum in November 1997 moderators have always been with 3 to ensure a majority vote. Since 6-7 weeks there is no majority vote since moderator Dann resigned. Hence we have new elections.
90% of coding is debugging, the other 10% is writing bugs.
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

Rebel wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:35 pm It's not a question of fair. Since the foundation of this forum in November 1997 moderators have always been with 3 to ensure a majority vote. Since 6-7 weeks there is no majority vote since moderator Dann resigned. Hence we have new elections.
Well said
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

hgm wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:51 am I had not set a deadline yet; first I wanted to see how eager people were to propose candidates. We want to have both a reasonable number of (accepting) candidates, and a reasonable amount of time for everyone to react. So I wanted to wait until we have 8-10 candidates, and then announce, say one more week for anyone else to come forward.
8-10 candidates never was an issue, the lack of a majority vote is.

And perhaps you can spell Chris name right in the OP.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

I cannot recall we ever had to vote in all the time that I have been CCC moderator.

Actually being CCC moderator is not a very taxing job. On average once a week a posting gets reported, the majority for an obviously nonsensical reason (e.g. because the plaintiff does not agree with the claims made in the posting). Actual charter violations are usually quite obvious. Sometimes a thread is hijacked, and has to be split. Sometimes posters report their own postings, with a request to delete it (or a duplicat) or lock the thread.
Enzo

Post by Enzo »

What about the case when the moderator is an intolerant, ignorant bully?

Just asking.
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

The forum back in 1997 was founded on democratic principles, (1) the forum is owned by its members and the members decide who is going to rule over them by majority vote and likewise (2) all actions of the moderators by majority vote. It's how democracy works and has been practiced since 1997. Your words gives me the impression you want to let go on (2), I hope not.

The question has been raised who is allowed to vote, can you answer that?

And related, normally TCADMIN (Sam Hull) is in charge with the organization of the election, is Sam no longer around?