Moderator Elections (Comments)

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

AndrewGrant
Full name: Andrew Grant

Re: Moderator Elections (Comments)

Post by AndrewGrant »

Am I crazy for liking the idea of having both HGM and Rebel as moderators? The two disagree with each other. Constantly. Over everything. Seems that relationship is dated. -- But that means things they agree on are probably things that are sensible. The overlap of posts which HGM is against, and the posts that Rebel is against, is probably a strict subset of what I am against...
#WeAreAllDraude #JusticeForDraude #RememberDraude #LeptirBigUltra
"Those who can't do, clone instead" - Eduard ( A real life friend, not this forum's Eduard )
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

hgm wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:43 am
Rebel wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:25 am
lithander wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:22 am
dannyb wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:15 am The same Ed Schroder who will most likely reopen the Chess Thinker Forum.
I have heard the CTF mentioned a few times already. Could anyone fill me in on the controversy around it?

Personally my vote (do I have a vote?) will go to anyone who will keep this place about chess and chess programming only.
It's a lie, the red.
That is a bit of an unwarranted accusation, please keep it civilized. A speculation can never be a lie, even if it is wrong, and the word 'likely' clearly indicates that this is just speculation. And not a far-fetched one, as at the time you were quite vocal in trying to keep CTF open. So it is understandable that people eye your candidacy with suspicion.

Just don't forget to address this clearly in your policy statement.
What are you talking about, the majority has decided to close CTF, it's a done deal.
90% of coding is debugging, the other 10% is writing bugs.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

I was talking about your use of the word 'lie' for what is merely a speculation that happens to be wrong.
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

May the mud / dirt battle begin, yeah !
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
KLc
Full name: Kurt Lanc

Post by KLc »

I don’t want to have anything to do with this. But there’s a “Report an abuse” link at the bottom of the forum and the terms of service has a section on “prohibited content and behavior”. I don’t know who’s a moderator or responsible of this forum and who’s posting there, but if they happen to be European citizens, this may be a handle for some very serious trouble.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

I am moderator here, and in that capacity I urged the participants to this discussion to keep it civilized. Some people seem to have a strange notion of what 'civilized' means, though.

Not sure what being a European citizen has to do with it. Civilization is not an entirely unknown phenomenon outside of Europe...

To quote Ghandi when he was asked what he thought of Western Civilization: "That would be an excellent idea!".
KLc
Full name: Kurt Lanc

Post by KLc »

hgm wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:23 pm Not sure what being a European citizen has to do with it. Civilization is not an entirely unknown phenomenon outside of Europe...
I should have said EU, and it's laws that make the difference (people still think using a US or Russian server makes a difference, but no it doesn't). I was just mentioning this because I looked into this thread about moderator elections, saw the reply by karger, didn't (and still don't) know what's going on and just wanted to point this out in case it's really as bad as it was said.
willmorton
Full name: William Morton

Post by willmorton »

lithander wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:22 am
dannyb wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:15 am The same Ed Schroder who will most likely reopen the Chess Thinker Forum.
I have heard the CTF mentioned a few times already. Could anyone fill me in on the controversy around it?

Personally my vote (do I have a vote?) will go to anyone who will keep this place about chess and chess programming only.
CTF was Talkchess off-topic forum. You could often find there attacks on people based on religion, nationality, skin colour, ....
Last year we got rid of it. Some people (like Chris Wittington and Ed Schroder, who then opened his own forum) were very vocal against its closure like HGM reminded. They even wanted CTF active users only to have the right to vote.
Beware the forum has not been deleted, it's just hidden, it could be opened again and since I think Talkchess should be about chess and computer chess only, I'll always vote, when I have the right, for mods that want to keep it closed, like the current ones.
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

The racistic stuff was in the forum because the moderators in charge did not delete it nor did they ban the racists.
Thats why some people demanded new elections. And a campaign from CCC members was started to shut the forum down.

Again: the moderators in CTF did not delete the racistic stuff or stopped the people in charge for the mess.
Thats why elections were demanded.
To get rid of the mods and help on the situation.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
Enzo

Post by Enzo »

When the only active moderator habitually acts in a partisan, hypocritical and autocratic manner, that's when he's not being outright rude or aggressive, while regularly demonstrating that both his relevant knowledge and his general intelligence leave so much to be desired (oh, what an understatement....), the decision would appear to be simple.

And there's no need for another who has felt the lash of moderation to DM me messages about "Heinrich". On October 31, 2013, Reuters published conclusive evidence even of the cemetery in which he has lain for 76 years. There lies a twist to the tale, but not too relevant to this forum. We can rest assured we are not experiencing the same chap. For one thing, HM was highly intelligent. And Resurrection is a myth (sorry, Ed).

But then what do I know, as a perpetual newbie? 0:-)

I would be prepared to be moderator, if the egos of the rebels could stand the crushing.