Moderator Elections (Comments)

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Re: Moderator Elections (Comments)

Post by hgm »

dkappe wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:27 pm After all this back and forth, my dream ticket is now Rebel, HGM and Graham Banks (to keep the former two from coming to blows).
People who think moderation is a show periodically performed for an audience are likely to get severely disappointed. Moderators simply judge whether reported postings violate the charter, and make sure they disappear from view if they do. If there is any disagreement between moderators (never happened on my shift...) they simply vote. Sometimes (in particular when there is a risk for repetition) they leave a warning on deleting an offending posting, to urge people to respect the charter.

Ideally, postings that violate the charter silently disappear, and people that appear to be able to only produce such postings silently disappear. So that chess afficionados can enjoy discussions on chess topics free of mud slinging.
Ras
Full name: Rasmus Althoff

Post by Ras »

Since the idea of a team with both HGM and Rebel came up more than once: would both of you even agree to such a constellation?

If not, it may make more sense to hold the election team-wise, not individually.
Rasmus Althoff
https://www.ct800.net
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

If nominatons stay limited to the current 6 candidates, I think the most sensible way to do the elections is indeed to just put two teams on the ballots: Ed/Chris/Graham vs Harvey/Rasmus/H.G. That pre-emptively disappoints those who would like to turn this place into a circus.
Peter Berger

Post by Peter Berger »

hgm wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:30 pm If nominatons stay limited to the current 6 candidates, I think the most sensible way to do the elections is indeed to just put two teams on the ballots: Ed/Chris/Graham vs Harvey/Rasmus/H.G. That pre-emptively disappoints those who would like to turn this place into a circus.
+1

This is definitely a very reasonable idea.
Henk

Post by Henk »

hgm wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:22 pm .. Voting for a moderator then also means voting for the forum structure that moderator prefers. I could for instance imagine that a separate section of training and implementing neural networks would be useful.
Maybe split up the side in a autistic division and a neurotypical division.
There is evidence that an autist understands other autists as well as a neurotypical understands other neurotypicals.
So this might reduce some moderation problems although there are many different types of autists like there are in the neurotypical world.
Henk

Post by Henk »

I did not follow. On which candidate do I have to vote to shut talkchess.com down.
I don't like to be dependent on two sites. One site (Prodeo.actieforum) is enough.