Stockfish: Our lawsuit against ChessBase

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

dkappe
Full name: Dietrich Kappe

Re: Stockfish: Our lawsuit against ChessBase

Post by dkappe »

dkappe wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:01 am (Emphasis mine.)
AndrewGrant wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:36 am Stockfish team is demonstrating a pattern of GPL violations with Houdini and FF2, for their claims.
I guess that means that Cucumber will have to be deposed about a crime he may have committed. Oh dear.
Just in case anyone forgot, this is the thread where cucumber discussed obtaining the code for Houdini. http://talkchess.com/forum3/viewtopic.p ... ni#p835054
Fat Titz by Stockfish, the engine with the bodaciously big net. Remember: size matters. If you want to learn more about this engine just google for "Fat Titz".
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

To be honest: there is IMO to much copy+past in computerchess in recent years.

Computerchess makes not much fun when engine A is clone of B and new engine C is clone of A or B too.

Cam we go back to the times of closed sources?!
Last edited by mclane on Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
connor_mcmonigle
Full name: Connor McMonigle

Post by connor_mcmonigle »

AndrewGrant wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:36 am Stockfish team is demonstrating a pattern of GPL violations with Houdini and FF2, for their claims.
I guess that means that Cucumber will have to be deposed about a crime he may have committed. Oh dear.
This is mentioned in the blog post. In my understanding, the Stockfish team has already been successful in obligating ChessBase to terminate its sale of Houdini. Perhaps there exists alternative evidence which is sufficient to demonstrate a GPL violation? In any case, the repeated license violations are the means by which the Stockfish team will seek to ensure ChessBase terminates its sale of Fat Fritz 2 in my understanding.
dkappe

Post by dkappe »

connor_mcmonigle wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:23 am Perhaps there exists alternative evidence which is sufficient to demonstrate a GPL violation?
I just hope the SF counsel didn’t include this in a filing or that someone shares this with ChessBase counsel. Remember, boy and girls: don’t break into other people’s servers. Nothing good will come of that.
Fat Titz by Stockfish, the engine with the bodaciously big net. Remember: size matters. If you want to learn more about this engine just google for "Fat Titz".
frcha

Post by frcha »

dkappe wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:29 am
connor_mcmonigle wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:23 am Perhaps there exists alternative evidence which is sufficient to demonstrate a GPL violation?
I just hope the SF counsel didn’t include this in a filing or that someone shares this with ChessBase counsel. Remember, boy and girls: don’t break into other people’s servers. Nothing good will come of that.
The alternative possibility is that those are Rev. Eng. sources as was done quite well before in Robodini to demonstrate that its a derivative. In which case the cucumber simply lied which is not a crime.

Is everyone here really believing that a person who copy pastes stockfish + throw in rev. eng. Komodo keeps his source code in server with easily guessable pswd?
Also if messing around with SF intending to keep as base - there should be some changes in code just while playing around with it even if resulting code accomplishes same thing - not some stupid translation job. The official story that these are original sources just doesn't make sense.

Rev. Eng clone will be almost identical to the real thing so this possibility is far more plausible.
noobpwnftw

Post by noobpwnftw »

There is probably no need even to prove Houdini is a clone if ChessBase already admitted it and took it down from their shop. :D

In terms of GPL compliance, mission achieved. Now it is more of a public shaming and if SF happens to win the case in a few years, ChessBase will not be able to redistribute any form of SF but I'm sure they'll find some other photographer to do it for them.
AndrewGrant
Full name: Andrew Grant

Post by AndrewGrant »

dkappe wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:29 am
Another good tip is to not put your private server on a easily guessed URL, behind a login with your username as your name, and your password as a short-hand version of your name,
#WeAreAllDraude #JusticeForDraude #RememberDraude #LeptirBigUltra
"Those who can't do, clone instead" - Eduard ( A real life friend, not this forum's Eduard )
noobpwnftw

Post by noobpwnftw »

https://perlenvombodensee.de/2021/07/21 ... chessbase/
Dem Titel Fat Fritz 2.0 (DVD) liegen leider nicht die vollständigen GPL3-Lizenzbedingungen bei. Aus diesem Grund sind wir gezwungen, den Titel zurückzurufen und den Verkauf der DVD-Version zu stoppen. Bitte beenden Sie den Verkauf der DVD-Version am Mittwoch, den 31. März 2021. Fat Fritz 2.0 (DVD) darf ab dem 31. März 2021 nicht weiter verkauft werden.
Urban rumor has it that ChessBase wrote this to every reseller around mid-March.
gaard
Full name: Martin W

Post by gaard »

This is only more wishful speculation on your part.
dkappe

Post by dkappe »

noobpwnftw wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:30 am https://perlenvombodensee.de/2021/07/21 ... chessbase/
Dem Titel Fat Fritz 2.0 (DVD) liegen leider nicht die vollständigen GPL3-Lizenzbedingungen bei. Aus diesem Grund sind wir gezwungen, den Titel zurückzurufen und den Verkauf der DVD-Version zu stoppen. Bitte beenden Sie den Verkauf der DVD-Version am Mittwoch, den 31. März 2021. Fat Fritz 2.0 (DVD) darf ab dem 31. März 2021 nicht weiter verkauft werden.
Urban rumor has it that ChessBase wrote this to every reseller around mid-March.
What do you make of it?