Stockfish: Our lawsuit against ChessBase

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

noobpwnftw

Re: Stockfish: Our lawsuit against ChessBase

Post by noobpwnftw »

Honestly IMO since FF2 recalls were made and Houdini taken down, all what the lawsuit can achieve(in a few years) is beating a corpse, however, from urban rumors, it is funny that should things go south for CB, they are eager to go after ASilver and Houdart themselves for the damages taken, I can't wait to see how that one plays out.
AndrewGrant
Full name: Andrew Grant

Post by AndrewGrant »

noobpwnftw wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:48 am Honestly IMO since FF2 recalls were made and Houdini taken down, all what the lawsuit can achieve(in a few years) is beating a corpse, however, from urban rumors, it is funny that should things go south for CB, they are eager to go after ASilver and Houdart themselves for the damages taken, I can't wait to see how that one plays out.
:shock:
#WeAreAllDraude #JusticeForDraude #RememberDraude #LeptirBigUltra
"Those who can't do, clone instead" - Eduard ( A real life friend, not this forum's Eduard )
dkappe
Full name: Dietrich Kappe

Post by dkappe »

noobpwnftw wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:48 am Honestly IMO since FF2 recalls were made and Houdini taken down, all what the lawsuit can achieve(in a few years) is beating a corpse, however, from urban rumors, it is funny that should things go south for CB, they are eager to go after ASilver and Houdart themselves for the damages taken, I can't wait to see how that one plays out.
As a major stockfish contributor, it’s odd that you would confess to having the goal of damaging CB’s reputation rather than enforce the license. Have I misunderstood what you are saying?
Fat Titz by Stockfish, the engine with the bodaciously big net. Remember: size matters. If you want to learn more about this engine just google for "Fat Titz".
noobpwnftw

Post by noobpwnftw »

Huh? People can read and they probably won't need an English to Garbage translator.
dkappe

Post by dkappe »

noobpwnftw wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:21 am Huh? People can read and they probably won't need an English to Garbage translator.
So that’s not what you were saying? In the presence of all this publicity, has the lawsuit actually been filed? Or did you guys jump the gun?
Fat Titz by Stockfish, the engine with the bodaciously big net. Remember: size matters. If you want to learn more about this engine just google for "Fat Titz".
noobpwnftw

Post by noobpwnftw »

Talking about jumping the gun, aren't you going to find it out in 2025?
dkappe

Post by dkappe »

noobpwnftw wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:24 am Talking about jumping the gun, aren't you going to find it out in 2025?
The outcome. I was hoping that as one of the major movers and shakers of the stockfish project you could shed some light on the suit. If there’s all this publicity about a lawsuit that hasn’t even been filed, well, it almost feels Trumpian.
AndrewGrant
Full name: Andrew Grant

Post by AndrewGrant »

dkappe wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:33 am
noobpwnftw wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:24 am Talking about jumping the gun, aren't you going to find it out in 2025?
The outcome. I was hoping that as one of the major movers and shakers of the stockfish project you could shed some light on the suit. If there’s all this publicity about a lawsuit that hasn’t even been filed, well, it almost feels Trumpian.
Denial <--- We are here
Anger
Bargaining
Depression
Acceptance
#WeAreAllDraude #JusticeForDraude #RememberDraude #LeptirBigUltra
"Those who can't do, clone instead" - Eduard ( A real life friend, not this forum's Eduard )
dkappe

Post by dkappe »

AndrewGrant wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:36 am
Denial <--- We are here
Anger
Bargaining
Depression
Acceptance
Neither you (to my knowledge, correct me if I’m wrong) nor I are involved with either the stockfish project or chessbase. Why would we be going through the 5 stages of grief about this?

I do have a rooting interest as I think the GPL violation claims about FF2 are without merit. I’m just perplexed about this publicity push and this seeming desire by noob to see ChessBase fail. He doesn’t seem to be willing to own up to it. If you want to continue to be his Greek chorus, be my guest.
DrCliche
Full name: Nickolas Reynolds

Post by DrCliche »

What's mysterious about wanting ChessBase to fail? They have repeatedly acted in bad faith, contravening both the spirit and the letter of the GPL. At some point, bad behavior becomes so severe that it's rational to believe that social welfare is maximized by removing entirely the ability of the bad actor to continue misbehaving. People may disagree on where that line is ... but even Norway jails people, some of them for life.