Stockfish: Our lawsuit against ChessBase

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

connor_mcmonigle
Full name: Connor McMonigle

Re: Stockfish: Our lawsuit against ChessBase

Post by connor_mcmonigle »

dkappe wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:49 am
connor_mcmonigle wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:44 am Desiring to see a company which has repeatedly violated your license fail is natural. This is only really problematic if the intent of the lawsuit was to see to the failure of the offending company. However, clearly, the intent of the lawsuit is to enforce the GPL and the consequences of its termination on account of the license violations. To suggest otherwise would be to misrepresent what has been stated.
I encourage you to review noob’s statements here and elsewhere. I suppose one might make the argument that he hasn’t been a part of or a leader in the stockfish project. I don’t think that will wash, do you?
I have looked over what was written. Your interpretations or suggestions for what noob meant seem like wishful thinking to me. In any case, it seems to me it would be unwise for Stockfish copyright holders to discuss this topic here or on any public forum.
dkappe
Full name: Dietrich Kappe

Post by dkappe »

I’m impressed by the speed of your review. :D
connor_mcmonigle wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:00 am In any case, it seems to me it would be unwise for Stockfish copyright holders to discuss this topic here or on any public forum.
I couldn’t agree more. Do you think they can resist?
Fat Titz by Stockfish, the engine with the bodaciously big net. Remember: size matters. If you want to learn more about this engine just google for "Fat Titz".
noobpwnftw

Post by noobpwnftw »

IIRC the lawsuit is about GPL compliance and consequences of a repeated offense, so, unable to distribute SF will fail ChessBase or you mean like me could just talk them into failure? Which one is it, I don't quite follow.

Oh, btw, good luck proving your conspiracy theory in court.
AndrewGrant
Full name: Andrew Grant

Post by AndrewGrant »

Graham Banks wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:39 am
AndrewGrant wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:28 am......I am apart of the Stockfish project to a degree.
Do you mean a part of or apart from?
A part of -- as in I have contributed in various ways -- my mistake on the English.
#WeAreAllDraude #JusticeForDraude #RememberDraude #LeptirBigUltra
"Those who can't do, clone instead" - Eduard ( A real life friend, not this forum's Eduard )
AndrewGrant

Post by AndrewGrant »

dkappe wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:37 am
AndrewGrant wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:28 am
We = You in this case. And I am apart of the Stockfish project to a degree.
Excellent! Glad to hear it.
I also think that Chessbase is intentionally marketing their products towards a demographic that is not aware of the origins of the product to a higher degree than English, German, and Russian speakers. Which I find profoundly racist, and for that they deserve to lose their position in the marketplace.
Tell me more. :D
Maybe discovery will tell us all more :)
"Those who can't do, clone instead" - Eduard ( A real life friend, not this forum's Eduard )
dkappe

Post by dkappe »

noobpwnftw wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:22 am IIRC the lawsuit is about GPL compliance and consequences of a repeated offense, so, unable to distribute SF will fail ChessBase or you mean like me could just talk them into failure? Which one is it, I don't quite follow.
I don’t follow either. Can you elaborate?
Oh, btw, good luck proving your conspiracy theory in court.
Which court?
Fat Titz by Stockfish, the engine with the bodaciously big net. Remember: size matters. If you want to learn more about this engine just google for "Fat Titz".
dkappe

Post by dkappe »

AndrewGrant wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:25 am
You seemed so confident a moment ago. Why so meek all of a sudden? Are you afraid your case might not be so strong after all? You seem to hang an awful lot of hope on that ChessBase communication to it’s dealers. Was an official communication made more than 30 days prior to that date? Inquiring minds want to know.
noobpwnftw

Post by noobpwnftw »

No idea, why are you so eager to get sued?
AndrewGrant

Post by AndrewGrant »

dkappe wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:30 am
AndrewGrant wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:25 am
You seemed so confident a moment ago. Why so meek all of a sudden? Are you afraid your case might not be so strong after all? You seem to hang an awful lot of hope on that ChessBase communication to it’s dealers. Was an official communication made more than 30 days prior to that date? Inquiring minds want to know.
I enjoy the dopamine hits I get from reading your posts. Keep 'em coming.
dkappe

Post by dkappe »

noobpwnftw wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:33 am No idea, why are you so eager to get sued?
By whom and for what?