Stockfish: Our lawsuit against ChessBase

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Modern Times

Re: Stockfish: Our lawsuit against ChessBase

Post by Modern Times »

Going to court should resolve this situation one way or another, so that can only be a good thing.
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Graham Banks wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:37 am It's just saddens me when lawsuits or other types of divisive action occur.
Just curious, if CB loses, will you remove FF from the CCRL list?
90% of coding is debugging, the other 10% is writing bugs.
AndrewGrant
Full name: Andrew Grant

Post by AndrewGrant »

Rebel wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:14 am
Graham Banks wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:37 am It's just saddens me when lawsuits or other types of divisive action occur.
ChessBase already conceded selling Houdini, and Houdini is still there. So the answer is no I suspect.
#WeAreAllDraude #JusticeForDraude #RememberDraude #LeptirBigUltra
"Those who can't do, clone instead" - Eduard ( A real life friend, not this forum's Eduard )
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

AndrewGrant wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:23 am
ChessBase already conceded selling Houdini, and Houdini is still there. So the answer is no I suspect.
Removing something from sale that probably nobody is buying anymore is probably not conceding anything. Just a pragmatic response. If I'm wrong and Chessbase have acknowledged in writing that Houdini is a breach of the GPL, let us all know.
Raphexon
Full name: Henk Drost

Post by Raphexon »

At the very least Houdini 5/6 should have a big fat separate tag that signifies it's an illegal clone (explicitly) and that if it's still on the list, it's only for legacy reasons.
AndrewGrant

Post by AndrewGrant »

Modern Times wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:45 am
Removing something from sale that probably nobody is buying anymore is probably not conceding anything. Just a pragmatic response. If I'm wrong and Chessbase have acknowledged in writing that Houdini is a breach of the GPL, let us all know.
From the Stockfish Blog Posting: (Emphasis Mine)
In the past four months, we, supported by a certified copyright and media law attorney in Germany, went through a long process to enforce our license. Even though we had our first successes, leading to a recall of the Fat Fritz 2 DVD and the termination of the sales of Houdini 6, we were unable to finalize our dispute out of court. Due to Chessbase’s repeated license violations, leading developers of Stockfish have terminated their GPL license with ChessBase permanently. However, ChessBase is ignoring the fact that they no longer have the right to distribute Stockfish, modified or unmodified, as part of their products.
That sounds like concession to me. They clearly conceded that FF2 DVD was in violation of the GPL (quoted below), while also removing Houdini in the same stroke. Can you remove Houdini from CCRL now?
Dem Titel Fat Fritz 2.0 (DVD) liegen leider nicht die vollständigen GPL3-Lizenzbedingungen bei. Aus diesem Grund sind wir gezwungen, den Titel zurückzurufen und den Verkauf der DVD-Version zu stoppen. Bitte beenden Sie den Verkauf der DVD-Version am Mittwoch, den 31. März 2021. Fat Fritz 2.0 (DVD) darf ab dem 31. März 2021 nicht weiter verkauft werden.
"Those who can't do, clone instead" - Eduard ( A real life friend, not this forum's Eduard )
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

AndrewGrant wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:23 am ChessBase already conceded selling Houdini, and Houdini is still there. So the answer is no I suspect.
And besides, Chessbase is not the only company selling Houdini 6.

Let the courts decide.
smatovic
Full name: Srdja Matovic

Post by smatovic »

Raphexon wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:49 am
At the very least Houdini 5/6 should have a big fat separate tag that signifies it's an illegal clone (explicitly) and that if it's still on the list, it's only for legacy reasons.
Just curious, who defines that it is an illegal clone? Which authority? In what kind of process? Did you take Houdart to court? Did Team SF come up with a clone-planel?

--
Srdja
Last edited by smatovic on Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
AndrewGrant

Post by AndrewGrant »

Modern Times wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:53 am
AndrewGrant wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:23 am ChessBase already conceded selling Houdini, and Houdini is still there. So the answer is no I suspect.
And besides, Chessbase is not the only company selling Houdini 6.
Goal posts moved immediately :roll: Time for OpenBench to make a rating list.
AndrewGrant

Post by AndrewGrant »

smatovic wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:55 am
Raphexon wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:49 am
Just curious, who defines that is an illegal clone? Which authoroty? In what kind of process? Did you take Houdart to court? Did Team SF come up with a clone-planel?

--
Srdja
Very lazy way to avoid any real argument. Devoid of intellectual merit. Who defines anything? Who says what you are experiencing is not only in your own mind? Who says the air you breath is real?