Stockfish: Our lawsuit against ChessBase

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

ChickenLogic
Full name: kek w

Re: Stockfish: Our lawsuit against ChessBase

Post by ChickenLogic »

Ah yes the great open source nonsense. The same nonsense that runs on virtually all servers (Linux Kernel/GRUB boot loaders). That nonsense that runs on more than a BILLION cell phones. The same nonsense that gives you the very tools you use to test engines (cutechess GUI/cli, c-chess-cli, Banksia, elo calculation tools (ordo, bayes elo etc)). The same nonsense that gave us new life in the computer chess community (Leela). The same nonsense that boosted SF by much over 130 elo (NNUE, which was ported to SF by a Shogi engine author SPECIFICALLY TO HELP SF since they use SF's search. In his own words "I wanted to give something back to SF").
If it wasn't for openness the covid-19 vaccine probably wouldn't be ready yet (the companies did share all their test results and methods and it greatly accelerated the development). So yeah, the reason you can walk outside again is literally caused by sharing ideas, methods and results OPENLY.

And you know what? If it wasn't for SF your beloved clones wouldn't exist at all. Komodo, Fire, Rubi, Ethereal and basically any other engine now using NNUE would be more than 150 elo weaker. So how about you stop bitching around and pull that stick out of your a**?
dkappe
Full name: Dietrich Kappe

Post by dkappe »

ChickenLogic wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:28 am If it wasn't for openness the covid-19 vaccine probably wouldn't be ready yet (the companies did share all their test results and methods and it greatly accelerated the development). So yeah, the reason you can walk outside again is literally caused by sharing ideas, methods and results OPENLY.
SF is responsible for the covid vaccines? I had no idea! I thought it was patented compounds and processes. And we all know how much the FSF loves patents. :D
Fat Titz by Stockfish, the engine with the bodaciously big net. Remember: size matters. If you want to learn more about this engine just google for "Fat Titz".
ChickenLogic
Full name: kek w

Post by ChickenLogic »

"If it wasn't for openness"

How about revisiting primary school and learn to read?

I'm just kidding. You're a troll who has nothing better to do then trying to cause trouble in a small community. Frankly speaking, you disgust me.
AlexChess
Full name: Alex Morales

Post by AlexChess »

Sopel wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:22 pm
mclane wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:12 pm A product?!
A clone is no „product“
A clone is stolen copyright material.
It's only stolen if you don't respect the license. Nothing wrong with clones, some are actually useful. Like crystal or brainlearn for example.

I'm also happy to see that Fisherov is now compliant with GPLv3 too, good that other people are taking a stance.
+1 Also Cfish, CorChess, ShashChess, SugaR, Honey, Black Diamond, BlueFish, Oki Maguro and Harmon are perfectly GPLv3 compliants. Sharing their code and new ideas could be very useful also for Stockfish.
Chess engines and dedicated chess computers fan since 1981 :D Mac mini M1 8GB-256GB, Windows 11 & Ubuntu ARM64.
ProteusSF Dev Forum: https://shorturl.at/bpvI1
marsell

Post by marsell »

ChickenLogic wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:04 am "If it wasn't for openness"

I'm just kidding. You're a troll who has nothing better to do then trying to cause trouble in a small community. Frankly speaking, you disgust me.
+1
marsell

Post by marsell »

ChickenLogic wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:28 am Ah yes the great open source nonsense. The same nonsense that runs on virtually all servers (Linux Kernel/GRUB boot loaders). That nonsense that runs on more than a BILLION cell phones. The same nonsense that gives you the very tools you use to test engines (cutechess GUI/cli, c-chess-cli, Banksia, elo calculation tools (ordo, bayes elo etc)). The same nonsense that gave us new life in the computer chess community (Leela). The same nonsense that boosted SF by much over 130 elo (NNUE, which was ported to SF by a Shogi engine author SPECIFICALLY TO HELP SF since they use SF's search. In his own words "I wanted to give something back to SF").
If it wasn't for openness the covid-19 vaccine probably wouldn't be ready yet (the companies did share all their test results and methods and it greatly accelerated the development). So yeah, the reason you can walk outside again is literally caused by sharing ideas, methods and results OPENLY.

And you know what? If it wasn't for SF your beloved clones wouldn't exist at all. Komodo, Fire, Rubi, Ethereal and basically any other engine now using NNUE would be more than 150 elo weaker. So how about you stop bitching around and pull that stick out of your a**?
+1
dkappe
Full name: Dietrich Kappe

Post by dkappe »

You have a peculiar sense of what “openness” means.
Fat Titz by Stockfish, the engine with the bodaciously big net. Remember: size matters. If you want to learn more about this engine just google for "Fat Titz".
amanjpro
Full name: Amanj Sherwany

Post by amanjpro »

Making a mistake is perfectly fine (you attribute covid vaccine indirectly to open source, citing openness). But it would have been awesome if you have corrected the mistake instead of attacking dkappe personally because he pointed out your mistake.

Open source doesn't need fake attributions to be appealing, it is already appealing as per the many examples you enumerated
AlexChess
Full name: Alex Morales

Post by AlexChess »

Note: Using customized NNUe like dkappe's Night Nurse CF and Dark Horse CF or Zeus.nn on all supported clones is perfectly allowed by GPLv3. It's not clear if a GPLv3 engine can lock NNUE offering it only in the commercial version.

How does GPL apply to neural network models?
https://opensource.stackexchange.com/qu ... ork-models
Chess engines and dedicated chess computers fan since 1981 :D Mac mini M1 8GB-256GB, Windows 11 & Ubuntu ARM64.
ProteusSF Dev Forum: https://shorturl.at/bpvI1
wickedpotus
Full name: Aron Rodgriges

Post by wickedpotus »

dkappe wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:09 am I checked with my family friend in Germany on Tuesday. Nothing has been filed against ChessBase in a civil court, so we’ll have to wait and see.
"Family friend" LMAO :roll: