Stockfish: Our lawsuit against ChessBase

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

KLc
Full name: Kurt Lanc

Stockfish: Our lawsuit against ChessBase

Post by KLc »

OfekShochat
Full name: ghostway

Re: Stockfish: Our lawsuit against ChessBase

Post by OfekShochat »

albert (deleted), this isnt for you if you didnt notice :) (unless you want to be funny)
GAME IS ON PEOPLE

Moderation: The topic of the lawsuit is fine but personal attacks against Albert or anyone else will not be tolerated.
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

That is what happens when you get to close to the sun ...
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."
Full name: Mike Adams

Post by adams161 »

I've contended that Stockfish on iOS violates GPL as there is no way to comply with the requirements like ability to re-link etc and about all an iOS developer can do is attribute they use stockfish. But they haven't pursued that so far.
CMCanavessi

Post by CMCanavessi »

Is this the 1st time a chess-software-licence lawsuit is filled? If not, what are some previous instances?
Follow my tournament and some Leela gauntlets live at http://twitch.tv/ccls
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

What about loop and WII chess and jaap van den heriks protégée?!
The International Computer Games Association (ICGA) has received a formal complaint from Fabien Letouzey, the programmer of FRUIT, regarding the program LOOP. The allegation is that LOOP, which has participated in the World Computer Chess Championship, uses code derived from FRUIT, which placed second at the 2005 World Computer Chess Championship in Reykjavik....
Isn't "Loop" the follow-up program of List, which was accused to be a derivative in the 2003 WCCC?
I happen (now) to know more details, and there was indeed rather strong evidence that LIST, at least in some versions, was derivative of Crafty. This was presented to the ICGA with said complaint.
Last edited by mclane on Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
dkappe
Full name: Dietrich Kappe

Post by dkappe »

CMCanavessi wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:56 pm Is this the 1st time a chess-software-licence lawsuit is filled? If not, what are some previous instances?
There have been a few cases in Germany, specifically. This is the only that I’m aware of that came to a decision (as opposed to a settlement, etc.)
GPL has had a good history with regard to enforceability in the EU. As is often the case with these sorts of cases, however, the facts are the main point of contention. I’d expect a settlement, regardless of the merits, unless the case is dismissed.
Fat Titz by Stockfish, the engine with the bodaciously big net. Remember: size matters. If you want to learn more about this engine just google for "Fat Titz".
Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson »

I wonder if they have hired one of those firms that offers ‘No win no fee’ If so the lawyer must think they have a reasonable chance!?
dkappe
Full name: Dietrich Kappe

Post by dkappe »

Harvey Williamson wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:42 pm I wonder if they have hired one of those firms that offers ‘No win no fee’ If so the lawyer must think they have a reasonable chance!?
The firm is JBB Rechtsanwälte in Berlin. They are small to medium sized, maybe 25 employees. Looking at the backgrounds of some of their attorneys, they seem to have a some med malpractice, some licensing, some media law. Probably not deep pockets as far as pro bono or contingency stuff goes. Maybe the Stockfish project has a gofundme (is that even allowed for litigation in Germany)?

Grab your popcorn.
Fat Titz by Stockfish, the engine with the bodaciously big net. Remember: size matters. If you want to learn more about this engine just google for "Fat Titz".
AndrewGrant
Full name: Andrew Grant

Post by AndrewGrant »

Excellent news. About time that people stood up for their rights.
#WeAreAllDraude #JusticeForDraude #RememberDraude #LeptirBigUltra
"Those who can't do, clone instead" - Eduard ( A real life friend, not this forum's Eduard )