Stockfish: Our lawsuit against ChessBase

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

wickedpotus
Full name: Aron Rodgriges

Re: Stockfish: Our lawsuit against ChessBase

Post by wickedpotus »

amanjpro wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:38 am Making a mistake is perfectly fine (you attribute covid vaccine indirectly to open source, citing openness). But it would have been awesome if you have corrected the mistake instead of attacking dkappe personally because he pointed out your mistake.

Open source doesn't need fake attributions to be appealing, it is already appealing as per the many examples you enumerated
Most normal people have no problem understanding what he tried to convey about openness and sharing in general. Anything can be misunderstood if you try extremely hard :-(
ChickenLogic wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:04 am "If it wasn't for openness"
How about revisiting primary school and learn to read?
I'm just kidding. You're a troll who has nothing better to do then trying to cause trouble in a small community. Frankly speaking, you disgust me.
+1
amanjpro
Full name: Amanj Sherwany

Post by amanjpro »

wickedpotus wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:20 pm
amanjpro wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:38 am Making a mistake is perfectly fine (you attribute covid vaccine indirectly to open source, citing openness). But it would have been awesome if you have corrected the mistake instead of attacking dkappe personally because he pointed out your mistake.

Open source doesn't need fake attributions to be appealing, it is already appealing as per the many examples you enumerated
Most normal people have no problem understanding what he tried to convey about openness and sharing in general. Anything can be misunderstood if you try extremely hard :-(
I'm just kidding. You're a troll who has nothing better to do then trying to cause trouble in a small community. Frankly speaking, you disgust me.
+1
Well, you need to have made a thorough survey to know that, the moment I saw the post I saw the issue... But this is besides the point... The message was inaccurate, dkappe pointed out, chicken logic should admit instead of attacking him personally, that is that simple. You make a mistake, you admit it...
ChickenLogic
Full name: kek w

Post by ChickenLogic »

amanjpro wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:38 am

Making a mistake is perfectly fine (you attribute covid vaccine indirectly to open source, citing openness). But it would have been awesome if you have corrected the mistake instead of attacking dkappe personally because he pointed out your mistake.

There is no mistake. I did it on purpose. I didn't even say open source software. I said open source. Each company is a source of information and they were open to each other. This is the first time a vaccine was ever developed so fast and the first time they shared this much information. Science does work the best the more brains you throw at it. If you deny this simple fact then I don't even know anymore.
wickedpotus

Post by wickedpotus »

amanjpro wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:45 pm

+1
Well, you need to have made a thorough survey to know that, the moment I saw the post I saw the issue... But this is besides the point... The message was inaccurate, dkappe pointed out, chicken logic should admit instead of attacking him personally, that is that simple. You make a mistake, you admit it...
The moment I saw the post I understood exactly the argument for openness in general and open-source in particular. I still dont agree with yours and dkappes assesion that is was "innacurate".

If we want to resort down to a nit-picking level or pointing out grammar or spelling errors, rather than trying to have real discussions. We are going down troll-land in my humble opinion.

I don't really like when people just trying to be "smart" and not trying to foster good communication-
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

ChickenLogic wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:28 am And you know what? If it wasn't for SF your beloved clones wouldn't exist at all. Komodo, Fire, Rubi, Ethereal and basically any other engine now using NNUE would be more than 150 elo weaker.
NNUE didn't originate with SF nor was it even created for it.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
connor_mcmonigle
Full name: Connor McMonigle

Post by connor_mcmonigle »

Albert Silver wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:00 pm
ChickenLogic wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:28 am And you know what? If it wasn't for SF your beloved clones wouldn't exist at all. Komodo, Fire, Rubi, Ethereal and basically any other engine now using NNUE would be more than 150 elo weaker.
As per NodChip himself, the many Shogi developers responsible for NNUE were happy to see NNUE used in Stockfish. They viewed it as a way of contributing back to the Stockfish project as the top Shogi engine relies on an adapted version of Stockfish's search.

Furthermore, as this thread has devolved into pedantry, it's only fitting to point out that nowhere did ChickenLogic state that NNUE originated from Stockfish in your quoted text.
wickedpotus

Post by wickedpotus »

I think it is fair to state that NNUE originated with the nodchip implementation using Stockfish in the chess-engine /clone content. I am also sure you understood the intention of the quote perfectly well and I truly wonder what reaction you expect from pointing out that NNUE existed outside the chess world before it got implemented in Chess-engines (just like NNs and deep learning existed before it was used in the stronger chess engines).
amanjpro
Full name: Amanj Sherwany

Post by amanjpro »

wickedpotus wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:53 pm
amanjpro wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:45 pm

+1
The moment I saw the post I understood exactly the argument for openness in general and open-source in particular. I still dont agree with yours and dkappes assesion that is was "innacurate".

If we want to resort down to a nit-picking level or pointing out grammar or spelling errors, rather than trying to have real discussions. We are going down troll-land in my humble opinion.

I don't really like when people just trying to be "smart" and not trying to foster good communication-
That is where we diverge, openness != open source... but that is the whole discussion in itself. I am content to leave it here...

All I say is, people can be nicer when interacting with each other, and there is no need to call people names, no matter what is the reason, what seems obvious to you, might not be to another, we just need to respect each other
wickedpotus

Post by wickedpotus »

amanjpro wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:53 pm That is where we diverge, openness != open source... but that is the whole discussion in itself. I am content to leave it here...
I would argue that open source surely has a spirit of openness attached to it as a concept, as opposed to the opposite that would be closedness, which would more be a property of closed / non-shared source. So I still think openness and open-source are heavily related even though they not the "same". I still don't see your problem with his comment, and I agree let's just leave it at that :-)
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

wickedpotus wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:42 pm
I think it is fair to state that NNUE originated with the nodchip implementation using Stockfish in the chess-engine /clone content. I am also sure you understood the intention of the quote perfectly well and I truly wonder what reaction you expect from pointing out that NNUE existed outside the chess world before it got implemented in Chess-engines (just like NNs and deep learning existed before it was used in the stronger chess engines).
Why should I be expecting anything, much less a reaction? His statement was clear: Komodo, Fire, Rubichess and more owe a debt to SF for their use of NNUE, when this is quite incorrect. The effectiveness of NNUE in chess was certainly first demonstrated by Nodchip, when he more or less copy-and-pasted vast swathes of the Shogi NNUE code into a SF branch (which he then spent a lot of time debugging) but their implementations are not taken from SF.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."