Moderator Elections - Candidates and Statements (Only)

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

AndrewGrant
Full name: Andrew Grant

Moderator Elections - Candidates and Statements (Only)

Post by AndrewGrant »

Policy Statement:

I think that right now the way talkchess is moderated is generally sufficient. It appears to me that most actions are taken by HGM as he is the most active, and I seldom disagree with the moderation actions he takes. There is a small small group of posters which account for a very high percentage of created threads, that I believe have an unusually low level of interest and importance. I would like to see that cleaned up to an extent.

However, I do support everyone's right to argue and debate -- especially when I disagree with their positions. Those who read the forums know that there are a few members who I often get into spats with, and I would see that continue. Moderation should not be heavy handed in my view, and the vast majority of content here need not be moderated, aside from potentially splitting threads when discussion strays for long periods of time in order to keep threads on topic.

For anyone concerned that I would moderate in a way they see unsavory, know that HGM and I tend to disagree fairly often. Meaning that moderation actions would require differing minds to come to agreement. Likewise, should you be someone who believes that HGM is not a good moderator, I would exist to balance that out. I believe that the overlap of posts that I, and the moderation team I suspect will be voted in, will find in need of moderation, will be ones which most all users can agree on.

Finally, I would like to continue supporting the talkchess charter's rules on stolen/illegal content. Currently, (despite all arguing), I do not believe there are any users on this forum that are engaging in these bad actions at this time, except for Robert Houdart who is no longer active. Whether it be Ethereal, or Fire, or Fat Fritz 2, all the code is out there, allowing sufficient basis for debate and differing conclusions.
#WeAreAllDraude #JusticeForDraude #RememberDraude #LeptirBigUltra
"Those who can't do, clone instead" - Eduard ( A real life friend, not this forum's Eduard )
Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

Re: Moderator Elections - Candidates and Statements (Only)

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Nominated:
Chris Whittington (accepted)
Graham Banks (withdrawn)
Ed Schroder (accepted)
H.G. Muller (accepted)
Harvey Williamson (accepted)
Rasmus Althoff (accepted)
Dietrich Kappe (withdrawn)
Andrew Grant (accepted)

This thread is only for the candidates to post their moderation statement any other posts will be deleted.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

I dislike offensive language, personal attacks and insinuations, and would take whatever action was agreed upon by my fellow moderators against these.

I like a forum in which people speak to each other in a respectful manner, no matter what their differences might be.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
dkappe
Full name: Dietrich Kappe

Post by dkappe »

While I too dislike offensive language, bullying and the like, I think the letter of the charter covers these eventualities. The real question is how it is enforced through moderation. Even a few trolls can spoil an otherwise excellent forum. If elected, I would work in consensus with my fellow moderators to develop a policy that reduces the amount of incivility in this forum.
Fat Titz by Stockfish, the engine with the bodaciously big net. Remember: size matters. If you want to learn more about this engine just google for "Fat Titz".
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

I'm withdrawing from being a moderator candidate.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Graham Banks wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:00 pm I'm withdrawing from being a moderator candidate.
I think the election has to be postponed and the entire process started again if/when we have a working forum.