I am so tired of the knockoffs ...

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

AdminX

I am so tired of the knockoffs ...

Post by AdminX »

I am so tired of the fish knockoffs, very few of which offer anything of real value. Aren't you people tired of only having fish on the menu. Where is the beef or something with some pork on it's bones. I mean really synthetic food only goes so far. :evil: Please change the menu!
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."
Full name: Andrew Grant

Re: I am so tired of the knockoffs ...

Post by AndrewGrant »

AdminX wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:27 am I am so tired of the fish knockoffs, very few of which offer anything of real value. Aren't you people tired of only having fish on the menu. Where is the beef or something with some pork on it's bones. I mean really synthetic food only goes so far. :evil: Please change the menu!
The highest quality beef right now is in Slowchess & Seer. Next best you can do is Ethereal and Koivisto. Most informed readers know by now that, aside from some user improvements, there is nothing of interest about the Stockfish forks. There is 1. Stockfish, and 2. CFish if you want a bit faster, and maybe 3. Crystal, but I'm not sold. Everything else is a wash.
#WeAreAllDraude #JusticeForDraude #RememberDraude #LeptirBigUltra
"Those who can't do, clone instead" - Eduard ( A real life friend, not this forum's Eduard )
amanjpro
Full name: Amanj Sherwany

Post by amanjpro »

Try Zahak, it is made of snake meat : 😂

But seriously, I find no issue if one wants to learn programming or chess programming and reimpliments some other engine... But those engines should really be just that a personal project, that is not meant for rating lists and competitions...

But to each their preferences. I have learnt to just ignore them
Koivisto
Full name: Kim Kahre

Post by Koivisto »

amanjpro wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:45 am Try Zahak, it is made of snake meat : 😂

But seriously, I find no issue if one wants to learn programming or chess programming and reimpliments some other engine... But those engines should really be just that a personal project, that is not meant for rating lists and competitions...

But to each their preferences. I have learnt to just ignore them
A simpler engine would be better for learning, but yeah people should do what they find interesting and fun :)
supersharp77

Post by supersharp77 »

AdminX wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:27 am I am so tired of the fish knockoffs, very few of which offer anything of real value. Aren't you people tired of only having fish on the menu. Where is the beef or something with some pork on it's bones. I mean really synthetic food only goes so far. :evil: Please change the menu!
Well anything that has a old NN.bin file I find interesting because people have trained quite a few nn.bin files with interesting styles Harmon.bin Human.bin.. Toga1.bin... Darkhorse.bin White"".bin.. Nightnurse.bin..Lc0.bin.....Plus with Cfish you can add engine books to enhance playability....Same with Honey and Beth Harmon.....Ethereal is now a "Commercial Project" so it now falls into a category with Komodo and Hiarcs and Fritz..."Pay To Play".. :) :wink: