ICGA's 2015 World Computer Chess Championship/Events

Discussion of computer chess matches and engine tournaments.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

lucasart
Full name: lucasart

Re: ICGA's 2015 World Computer Chess Championship/Events

Post by lucasart »

mcostalba wrote: P.S: Even your signature sentence

Code: Select all

Ideas=science. Simplification=engineering.
Without ideas there is nothing to simplify.
reveals that you are many centuries behind and a real cleric.
He wrote this signature as a response to mine:
Theory and practice sometimes clash. When that happens, theory loses. Every single time!
This quote (from Linus Torvalds) is only stating the obvious. Only a troll could dispute this. If a theory is not compatible with reality, then the theory is wrong. It's not reality that is wrong.

Some people on this forum still don't understand that, and keep trying to lecture us with their dogmatic theories, that fail the reality test. This quote is specially dedicated to them :lol:
Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.
Henk

Post by Henk »

lucasart wrote:
mcostalba wrote: P.S: Even your signature sentence

Code: Select all

reveals that you are many centuries behind and a real cleric.
He wrote this signature as a response to mine:
Theory and practice sometimes clash. When that happens, theory loses. Every single time!
This quote (from Linus Torvalds) is only stating the obvious. Only a troll could dispute this. If a theory is not compatible with reality, then the theory is wrong. It's not reality that is wrong.

Some people on this forum still don't understand that, and keep trying to lecture us with their dogmatic theories, that fail the reality test. This quote is specially dedicated to them :lol:
Sometimes one can change reality.

How many dots per inch makes it realistic. One can zoom in until infinity.
Main interest of realism is war.
Last edited by Henk on Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Frank Quisinsky
Full name: Frank Quisinsky

Re: cpw

Post by Frank Quisinsky »

Hi Gerd,

BTW:
I will give you my biggest compliment I can do.
cpw is for myself the best contribution / most important work computer chess ever have seen. It must be a enormous work. Really perfect for reading, searching and I can find so many information I don't have.

So you get +1.000.000 from myself.

THANKS !!

Best
Frank
Michel

Post by Michel »

You are another person that has no clue. I am now starting to believe that cluelessness and the casual use of insults in conversation are directly correlated.

The foundation of scientific thinking is that a scientific theory is _never_ "right" (look up "falsifiability"). Any theory should be viewed as only an approximation to reality. But the aim is to make this approximation better and better in an organized way.

Like I did with Marco let me point you to Wikipedia so that you can also learn.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_method
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

mcostalba wrote:
Adam Hair wrote: So, you do not believe that the following was an intemperate post, even after Mark's explanation:
No, sorry, but I will not abjure :-)
Classic :wink:

And anything else would be boring.

But I understand, nowadays 30 elo points is just 1% of the rating but that 1% is pure emotion and the cherry on the pie.

Long live SF and Komodo.
mcostalba

Post by mcostalba »

Michel wrote: Think about nuclear energy. It was predicted by Einstein on purely theoretical grounds.
If I would be a cleric like you are, I could continue argumenting that the quantum mechanics, at the base of nuclear physics, has started when Max Planck tried to reconcile with some strange experimental results about black-body radiation. But I am not a cleric and I don't enjoy this type of void and self-centered rhetoric. I leave this medieval age philosophical pedantry to you, that seem very inclined, and I happily jump back into the 21th century :-)
Michel

Post by Michel »

I could continue argumenting that the quantum mechanics, at the base of nuclear physics, has started when Max Planck tried to reconcile with some strange experimental results about black-body radiation
You didn't pick a good example since blackbody radiation was a purely theoretical contradiction between classical physics and electromagnetism! This was one of the problems resolved by the creation of quantum mechanics.

But it doesn't matter. What we see here is the scientific method at work. A problem is resolved by refining an existing theory.
cdani

Post by cdani »

Whenever you fix your truth at one point, sooner or later you will see your error.
Michel

Post by Michel »

If I would be a cleric like you are,
BTW I have absolutely no clue why you insist on calling me a cleric...
mcostalba

Post by mcostalba »

Michel wrote: You didn't pick a good example since blackbody radiation was a purely theoretical contradiction between classical physics and electromagnetism! This was one of the problems resolved by the creation of quantum mechanics.
There was not an issue of unexplained experimental results ?!?!?

Wow, you can even beat this one, hands down:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPLKSI5grFY