CCCC Rapid games running

Discussion of computer chess matches and engine tournaments.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

kranium

CCCC Rapid games running

Post by kranium »

Hi all-

I've updated my computer chess tournament broadcast system (https://github.com/FireFather/cccc)
and am currently using it to run games here:
http://users.telenet.be/chesslogik/cccc/.

It uses a version of cutechess from 2016 that I modified to write to a pgn file after each move. -livepgnout
It writes short pgn comments for score, depth, and time used (+0.23 d23 7.1s). It also uses a custom version of pgn4web,
modified to display engine logo bitmaps.

It works in the usual fashion: the system uploads a pgn with the new move to the web server via a file 'watcher' calling an ftp script.
I think it gets about as close as possible to a real 'live' feeling when observing.

I started it running 2 rounds of 15s + 10s for 32 free engines (992 games) today at 2:45 pm CEST.
These 1st 2 rounds are 'no book', each engine plays each other engine twice, once as white and once as black,
...this will give a good look at what openings the engines choose. Afterwards I'll be using a short opening book to maintin variety.

I chose this TC because it's used for the FIDE World Rapid & Blitz Chess Championships, and makes for enjoyable viewing,
with little waiting between moves. Because of draw, resign, and endgame adjudication, the average game seems to be taking about 20 minutes.

When a game ends it stays on the screen until you refresh (which also updates the ratings list), so going to get a beer won't mean you've missed
the end of the game you were watching.

At this point it's kind of functioning as a 'live chess engine rapid rating list'. It uses Bayeselo, but can easily use Ordo instead.

My intention is to let it run for several months to garner plenty of games. My only concern is summer
heat, but it's a brand new Ryzen 9 3900X 32GB system with Corsair water cooling, and I currently have the case open with a fan blowing on it.

I'd like to offer this software this to anyone interested in using it...and would be willing to help with implementation guidance.
Some experience with cutechess-cli and it's engines.json configuration file would be very helpful.
You's also need a web server that you could access via ftp.

The updated version is not yet uploaded to github, but if you're interested, just send me an email (firefather@telenet.be)
or private message and I'll create a dropbox download.
Terje
Full name: Terje Kirstihagen

Re: CCCC Rapid games running

Post by Terje »

Please take Weiss out of your tournament.
amanjpro
Full name: Amanj Sherwany

Post by amanjpro »

Thanks for the tournament... and the package too

Any chances to include lower leagues for weaker engines? I'll be happy to see Zahak there ;)
xr_a_y

Post by xr_a_y »

Hi, there is probably a confusion in the name "Minic 5.1.0", I'm not there yet. Current version is more like 3.09.