MCEC anyone?

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

lithander
Full name: Thomas Jahn

Re: MCEC anyone?

Post by lithander »

Hello Amanj,

I was a bit disappointed by the performance of MMC 0.4.9 so far and so I fed some of the positions to my local copy of 0.4.9 and I think you're not running 0.4.9 really but maybe still 0.4.5?

For example the copy you run still takes 40s to search 13 plys deep on a position like: position fen 8/1p6/1p5P/3kPp2/1P1b1P2/3K2r1/P7/7R w - - 4 38
But locally I can search the position to depth 18 in 36s. And 13 plys was already doable with 0.4.5. So it seems like the Transposition table is not used at all!?

If you run the executable it should print a version number and it should read 0.4.9! Does it?
Minimal Chess (simple, open source, C#) - Youtube & Github
Leorik (competitive, in active development, C#) - Github & Lichess
amanjpro
Full name: Amanj Sherwany

Post by amanjpro »

You are absolutely right. I was running the older version. Sorry for this mistake :(

I replaced the binary, and not sure whta to do. If you call for it I will restart the tournament
lithander

Post by lithander »

amanjpro wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:24 pm I replaced the binary, and not sure whta to do. If you call for it I will restart the tournament
Only 10% of the total games are played so far and so MMC might still have a chance to win the promotion by playing well in the remaining 90%. The race for the promotion isn't yet lost!

But maybe, if I miss the promotion by a very very tiny margin then the fact that MMC wasn't allowed to use it's TT in the first few games will have caused a different outcome! That would damage the credibility of the tournament a little... and so, personally I would restart it. But it's your tournament and I'm absolutely not going to be mad if you prefer to keep it going.
amanjpro

Post by amanjpro »

lithander wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:35 pm
amanjpro wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:24 pm I replaced the binary, and not sure whta to do. If you call for it I will restart the tournament
Only 10% of the total games are played so far and so MMC might still have a chance to win the promotion by playing well in the remaining 90%. The race for the promotion isn't yet lost!

But maybe, if I miss the promotion by a very very tiny margin then the fact that MMC wasn't allowed to use it's TT in the first few games will have caused a different outcome! That would damage the credibility of the tournament a little... and so, personally I would restart it. But it's your tournament and I'm absolutely not going to be mad if you prefer to keep it going.
I have a different deal for you. If MMC lost the race by 2 points or less, I'll promote it too to the Super League. That way all the engines that have done great so far, will keep their good results. And MMC will be compensated too... The only "penalty" that we pay is we will have 1 more engine in the super league than planned
lithander

Post by lithander »

amanjpro wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:26 pm I have a different deal for you. If MMC lost the race by 2 points or less, I'll promote it too to the Super League.
Sounds good! :)
amanjpro

Post by amanjpro »

The super league for season two has started, details here

https://zahak.amanj.me/posts/zatour-sup ... -season-2/

Broadcasted here: https://zatour.amanj.me