Alpha-Emanuel-Beta Search -- Enormous Improvement of Alpha-Beta!

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

R. Tomasi
Full name: Roland Tomasi

Re: Alpha-Emanuel-Beta Search -- Enormous Improvement of Alpha-Beta!

Post by R. Tomasi »

smatovic wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:45 pm @Daniel: this guy is talking obv. nonsense since his last three Emanuel-inventions posted here. And he doesn't get it. So let's have som fun and figure out together how we get this Emanuel Pruning thingy running? ;)

--
Srdja
I second that. I mean, yeah, obviously all the emanuel-inventions are blatant nonsense. I am inclined to advocate not banning people for being unable to realize that they are talking nonsense - I don't see any malign intentions in what he's doing. However I would strongly suggest to klx that he maybe tries to actually write his own engine, or try to incorporate his ideas into an existing open-source engine. He may see then that it's maybe not that easy to come up with revolutionary new ideas that actually work and tone it down a little.
klx
Full name: Emanuel Torres

Post by klx »

Daniel Shawul wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:59 am Weren't you harping about how it is a safe/sound pruning strategy that improves alpha-beta enormously ??
Now you say it is shannon type B for one side, when I already pointed to you there is nothing better than alpha-beta that is still safe.
The original propostiion was, "a safe/sound pruning strategy that gives exponential reduction over alpha-beta".
Instead of calling this nonsense out, you helped him divert to a different claim ..
I have not changed my claim, it's always been the same: it's safe pruning for one side only, that's how I achieve exponential improvement.

(The clever part then is that I can just reverse the hypothesis to prove the other side.)

Respectfully, I feel like I've told you this several times, and even posted pseudo code from the very beginning. If my algorithm is not clear to you by now, I humbly ask that you stand down and wait for my full implementation. I see that you have an open source engine yourself. I may very well choose your engine as the beneficiary of my innovation.
R. Tomasi wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:42 pm I would strongly suggest to klx that he maybe tries to actually write his own engine, or try to incorporate his ideas into an existing open-source engine.
You will not see me writing an engine from scratch, since I consider learning all the rules of chess and writing the move generator a waste of time, time that is better spent innovating. I will however select a lucky open source engine and add my algorithm there.
[Moderation warning] This signature violated the rule against commercial exhortations.
Cardoso
Full name: Alvaro Cardoso

Post by Cardoso »

Thank you Emanuel for you enthusiasm, we sure need new ideas.
This sub forum it's usually used by programmers, well there are exceptions of course.
Usually we not only discuss new/old ideas but we also test them.
But when we come up with new ideas we also try them, with or without success.
So that is the step I suggest you to take. Implement your idea in to an existing open source engine.
I think it's the fastest way to test you ideas.
Again your name Emanuel Torres, is a perfectly usual portuguese name.
Are you sure someone in your family isn't from Portugal? :D

best wishes,
Alvaro
klx

Post by klx »

Cardoso wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:33 am Thank you Emanuel for you enthusiasm, we sure need new ideas.
So that is the step I suggest you to take. Implement your idea in to an existing open source engine.
Thank you, I appreciate your kind feedback and advice. I'll do my best to add it to another engine very soon!
[Moderation warning] This signature violated the rule against commercial exhortations.
lucasart
Full name: lucasart

Post by lucasart »

klx wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:16 am
AndrewGrant wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:51 am How about you take this idea, and add it to an existing engine, to demonstrate that 1. It works, and 2. Its not terrible
Sure, I can do it tomorrow.

Emanuereal.
Talk is cheap. Show us the code…
Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.
lucasart
Full name: lucasart

Post by lucasart »

lucasart wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:46 am
AndrewGrant wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:51 am How about you take this idea, and add it to an existing engine, to demonstrate that 1. It works, and 2. Its not terrible

Emanuereal.
Silence has spoken.
Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.
Karlo Bala
Full name: Karlo Balla

Post by Karlo Bala »

lucasart wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:00 am

Emanuereal.
Silence has spoken.
I think he is someone who knows a lot about CC, but decided to troll the board.
Best Regards,
Karlo Balla Jr.
klx

Post by klx »

lucasart wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:00 am

Emanuereal.
Silence has spoken.
Well actually I posted the pseudo-code already, and abundant description of my algorithm. I don't understand why the burden of proof needs to be so high for my inventions? Did John McCarthy post source code when he invented Alpha-Beta? Did Donald Knuth? No, that's right, they posted pseudo-code. Just like me. And we don't question them.

Besides, I did go ahead and add my algorithm to the abovementioned engine, but wasn't able to produce any sensible results. Quoting my wise father Emanuel who said: "son, if you tie a decorative bow around a piece of shit, underneath that bow, there will still be a piece of shit". It's a bit strong wording, but you get the point. I'll try another engine and report back the results. Get ready to have your little minds boggled!
R. Tomasi
Full name: Roland Tomasi

Post by R. Tomasi »

Can we keep him for entertainment value, please? :lol:
BrokenKeyboard
Full name: Het Satasiya

Post by BrokenKeyboard »

What do you mean "sensible results"? Results are results. The fact that they exist is what matters, not however shitty or not they may be.