Genius is free chess engine with free source

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Uri Blass

Genius is free chess engine with free source

Post by Uri Blass »

I found this link when I searched in google for genius chess engine.

http://thegenius.sourceforge.net/
fern

Re: Genius is free chess engine with free source

Post by fern »

Have you tested the program?
Fdo
Tony Thomas

Post by Tony Thomas »

It isnt the same as Chess Genius, you probably know that already. Above mentioned program was made by an Indian.
Linshark

Post by Linshark »

Latest release on June 27, 2003.
My gut feeling tells me that this chess
program isn't very interesting.

Martin.
tiger

Post by tiger »

Uri Blass wrote:I found this link when I searched in google for genius chess engine.

http://thegenius.sourceforge.net/

This guy deserves to be sued because he is using Genius as the name of a chess program. He is using the same name as Richard Lang's program, which existed long before and is known worldwide

I hope Richard Lang has been informed about it.

// Christophe
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

tiger wrote: This guy deserves to be sued because he is using Genius as the name of a chess program. He is using the same name as Richard Lang's program, which existed long before and is known worldwide

// Christophe
Could well be an innocent error Christophe.

Besides "The Genius" is surely different from "Chess Genius" ?

Regards, Graham.
tiger

Post by tiger »

Graham Banks wrote:
tiger wrote: This guy deserves to be sued because he is using Genius as the name of a chess program. He is using the same name as Richard Lang's program, which existed long before and is known worldwide

// Christophe

Regards, Graham.

An innocent error? Yeah, like the guy was living in a far far away village in india and has never got access to internet before! ;-)

OK, let's play it soft.

(begin gentle tone)
If it was not intentional, he should change the name of his engine as soon as he is informed.
(end gentle tone)

Anything that has the "Genius" word in his name and is a chess engine is a clear hijacking of a famous existing work by Richard Lang. I can't believe a court would decide otherwise.

I think it would be enough to inform Sourceforge about the trademark infringement and the project would be quickly removed from there.

// Christophe
Tony Thomas

Post by Tony Thomas »

tiger wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:

// Christophe

Regards, Graham.

An innocent error? Yeah, like the guy was living in a far far away village in india and has never got access to internet before! ;-)

OK, let's play it soft.

(begin gentle tone)
If it was not intentional, he should change the name of his engine as soon as he is informed.
(end gentle tone)

Anything that has the "Genius" word in his name and is a chess engine is a clear hijacking of a famous existing work by Richard Lang. I can't believe a court would decide otherwise.

I think it would be enough to inform Sourceforge about the trademark infringement and the project would be quickly removed from there.

// Christophe
Why do you take everything so seriously. Chess Genius isnt as well known as you think.
gerold

Post by gerold »

Tony Thomas wrote:
tiger wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:

// Christophe

Regards, Graham.

OK, let's play it soft.

(begin gentle tone)
(end gentle tone)

// Christophe
Why do you take everything so seriously. Chess Genius isnt as well known as you think.
This engine doesn't work. :)
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

Tony Thomas wrote:
tiger wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:

// Christophe

Regards, Graham.

OK, let's play it soft.

(begin gentle tone)
(end gentle tone)

// Christophe
You must be joking.....it's been around for 17 years, besides, that's not the point.

Of course the author knows.