Your opinions about the Rybka Cluster Rental

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

tano-urayoan

Your opinions about the Rybka Cluster Rental

Post by tano-urayoan »

Extract from the Rybka forum:
The Rybka Cluster is a high-performance supercomputer located in Minden/Westfalen, Germany. Combining software and hardware engineering, the Rybka Cluster features exclusive Rybka versions not available to the public running on customized hardware built with the specific goal of providing top Rybka performance at an affordable price.

Starting on February 1, 2011, the Rybka Cluster will be available to the public for the first time under the Rybka Cluster Rental Program.
A Rybka Cluster 40 consists of 40 physical cores and can be rented for 238 Euro (incl. VAT) per day, or 200 Euro (without VAT) per day for customers outside the EU or businesses outside Germany. The minimum continuous Rybka Cluster 40 rental time is 5 days.

A Rybka Cluster 100 consists of 100 physical cores and can be rented for 595 Euro (incl. VAT) per day, or 500 Euro (without VAT) per day for customers outside the EU or businesses outside Germany. The minimum continuous Rybka Cluster 100 rental time is 2 days.
tomgdrums

Re: Your opinions about the Rybka Cluster Rental

Post by tomgdrums »

tano-urayoan wrote:Extract from the Rybka forum:
The Rybka Cluster is a high-performance supercomputer located in Minden/Westfalen, Germany. Combining software and hardware engineering, the Rybka Cluster features exclusive Rybka versions not available to the public running on customized hardware built with the specific goal of providing top Rybka performance at an affordable price.

Starting on February 1, 2011, the Rybka Cluster will be available to the public for the first time under the Rybka Cluster Rental Program.
A Rybka Cluster 40 consists of 40 physical cores and can be rented for 238 Euro (incl. VAT) per day, or 200 Euro (without VAT) per day for customers outside the EU or businesses outside Germany. The minimum continuous Rybka Cluster 40 rental time is 5 days.

A Rybka Cluster 100 consists of 100 physical cores and can be rented for 595 Euro (incl. VAT) per day, or 500 Euro (without VAT) per day for customers outside the EU or businesses outside Germany. The minimum continuous Rybka Cluster 100 rental time is 2 days.

I won't be a customer.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

tomgdrums wrote:I won't be a customer.
If I had that sort of money, I'd rather buy a new high end computer! :lol:
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

Graham Banks wrote:
or 500 dedicated computers
:shock: Regards
Steve
michiguel

Post by michiguel »

tano-urayoan wrote:Extract from the Rybka forum:

Haiku:

Clone whores in hell dine
Rybka cloud can be rented
Gaviota is mine

Another:

Some Ippos are there
Want to fry a bigger fish
I don't frying care

Miguel
tomgdrums

Post by tomgdrums »

Graham Banks wrote:

If I had that sort of money I would be vacationing in Hawaii right now not thinking too much about computer chess at all. :)
JuLieN
Full name: Julien Marcel

Post by JuLieN »

tomgdrums wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:

If I had that sort of money I would be vacationing in Hawaii right now not thinking too much about computer chess at all. :)
Well that's sad... :?
"The only good bug is a dead bug." (Don Dailey)
[Blog: http://tinyurl.com/predateur ] [Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/fbpredateur ] [MacEngines: http://tinyurl.com/macengines ]
tomgdrums

Post by tomgdrums »

JuLieN wrote:
tomgdrums wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:

Well that's sad... :?
No not sad at all! Because when I came back from vacation i would be so refreshed I would enter a gazillion tournaments! :)
Peter Skinner
Full name: Peter Skinner

Post by Peter Skinner »

If Vas can get people to pay that amount, then all the power to him.

Look at how many people whine over the cost of Windows, yet still purchase it...

In all reality, I hope he gets it 100% rented for the next 5 years. I would wish the same for anyone striking out on a venture and trying something that no one has either done or thought about :)

Peter
I was kicked out of Chapters because I moved all the Bibles to the fiction section.
shiv

Post by shiv »

Hmm, if the goal is for chess analysis and not for playing games, why cant we use a map reduce solution?

Essentially this can mean only one machine (can be multicore) can analyze a unique bunch of positions and machines all output analysis to the shared opening book. This is essentially the idea behind rybka aquarium.

Now the costs are much more reasonable. If we have a 40 machine cluster under Amazon's EC2 environment using their cheapest instance type, it will cost merely 80 cents per hour (each machine is just 2 cents per hour). This is far more affordable.

Chess engines essentially will treat machines as cores in this model.

I know that multi cpu is the way to go for computer chess events. However, for analysis where you have more time on your hands, it makes more sense to scale to more machines and pay less.