Komodo CCT release

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Werewolf

Re: Komodo CCT release

Post by Werewolf »

ah ok, 64 cores, that's excellent.

With Komodo CCT, is the elo gain mainly from evaluation improvements or search improvements or an equal mix of both?
syzygy

Post by syzygy »

Jesse Gersenson wrote:
Werewolf wrote:Can I ask: how many cores does Komodo 5.1 MP support, and how many do you aim to support in Nov?
Currently supports 64 cores.

http://komodochess.com/store/pages.php?cmsid=9
Then I suppose it's not using any "Lazy MP" approach as hinted at here?
tomgdrums

Post by tomgdrums »

Is the evaluation much different? Just wondering if the money is going to be well spent. Love Komodo. (actually kind of partial to Komodo 4!)

But only want to purchase if I think it gives a good alternative analysis.
Norbert Raimund Leisner

Post by Norbert Raimund Leisner »

As far I know, Komodo 5 r1 from 2012 can be used for Windows and Linux.
I think Komodo CCT is the successor of the r1 edition, isn´t it?
But what about the Mac OS X and Android version, Don?

Best wishes,
Norbert
starmaerker

Post by starmaerker »

The 64 bit version is almost ten times smaller then the 32 bit. Why is it so?

regards
Don

Post by Don »

Norbert Raimund Leisner wrote:As far I know, Komodo 5 r1 from 2012 can be used for Windows and Linux.
I think Komodo CCT is the successor of the r1 edition, isn´t it?
But what about the Mac OS X and Android version, Don?

Best wishes,
Norbert
Yes, this is a continuation of that program but we have made substantial changes to it. And to answer another question the evaluation has been improved too but I would say the search has changed more than the evaluation.

Komodo 5.1 MP is a rewrite and will be our first program using this new code base.
Capital punishment would be more effective as a preventive measure if it were administered prior to the crime.
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

tomgdrums wrote:Is the evaluation much different? Just wondering if the money is going to be well spent. Love Komodo. (actually kind of partial to Komodo 4!)

But only want to purchase if I think it gives a good alternative analysis.
In general our advice is that if you normally use your engines in MP mode, wait for Komodo MP, but if you normally use them in SP mode, get Komodo CCT. Even if the evaluation is not "much" different from Komodo 5, the overall strength increaase (apparently about 30 elo, as we estimated) is pretty substantial. You can think of it as the rough equivalent of running Komodo 5 on 1.5 cores, if such a thing were possible.
Don

Post by Don »

starmaerker wrote:The 64 bit version is almost ten times smaller then the 32 bit. Why is it so?

regards
The 64 bit compile is a Jim Ablett compile - and I forgot to give him credit for that but it is much appreciated. He squeezed slightly more performance out of it than I could.

The size of the executable is not that relevant though, it is working great so far.
Capital punishment would be more effective as a preventive measure if it were administered prior to the crime.
Tom Likens

Post by Tom Likens »

Don,

I'm also curious, neglecting the new built-in multiprocessor support, are you using C++11 as a "better C" or are you going the whole nine yards and using all the dark corners of the language? I (long ago) moved from C to C++ because I wanted stronger type checking, a real string class, inline functions etc. There were other advantages too, but I definitely use it as a better C, (although I do use its data abstraction features much more now then when I originally made the switch).

regards,
--tom
Don

Post by Don »

Tom Likens wrote:Don,

I'm also curious, neglecting the new built-in multiprocessor support, are you using C++11 as a "better C" or are you going the whole nine yards and using all the dark corners of the language? I (long ago) moved from C to C++ because I wanted stronger type checking, a real string class, inline functions etc. There were other advantages too, but I definitely use it as a better C, (although I do use its data abstraction features much more now then when I originally made the switch).

regards,
--tom
I'm not using every dark corner of the language, I just wanted to learn C++ and was planning a major code cleanup anyway. In particular this is more like a C++ program than C++11 and the position state is now a class, I like the new for loops which is c++11 specific and templates are nice. Probably more than anything I wanted to use the c++ standardized threading model and the "chrono" stuff for consistent time handling which is quite awesome. There is not that much difference in windows threads and pthreads but it's great having completely portable source code.