Lczero setup help

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Robert Flesher

Lczero setup help

Post by Robert Flesher »

I am struggling to get LCZero running on my machine. If anyone can provide help I'd be most grateful. A screenshot of their setup would be ideal. I can use Arena, Scid vs PC , Hiarcs Chess Explorer, Shredder GUI, or Fritz 13. I have followed the instructions for all the GUI's without luck.
Albert Silver

Re: Lczero setup help

Post by Albert Silver »

Robert Flesher wrote:I am struggling to get LCZero running on my machine. If anyone can provide help I'd be most grateful. A screenshot of their setup would be ideal. I can use Arena, Scid vs PC , Hiarcs Chess Explorer, Shredder GUI, or Fritz 13. I have followed the instructions for all the GUI's without luck.
Are you going to use a GPU or CPU?
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
Robert Flesher

Post by Robert Flesher »

Albert Silver wrote:
Robert Flesher wrote:I am struggling to get LCZero running on my machine. If anyone can provide help I'd be most grateful. A screenshot of their setup would be ideal. I can use Arena, Scid vs PC , Hiarcs Chess Explorer, Shredder GUI, or Fritz 13. I have followed the instructions for all the GUI's without luck.

Good chance, I will use both of them.
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

Robert Flesher wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:

Good chance, I will use both of them.
Take a look at this thread. http://talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=67094
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."
Full name: Stefan Pohl

Post by pohl4711 »

Since v0.7 no adapter is needed (inBetween, polyglot) for running leela in FritzGUI or ShredderGUI
Just do this:

1) Create a Leela-folder somewhere on your PC in a folder, which is not write protected
(normally C:\ProgramFiles\ChessBase\Engines is writeprotected!) - I created it in my documents-folder.
2) download the Windows GPU Leela files here: https://github.com/glinscott/leela-chess/releases
3) Unzip all files in your leela-folder
4) Download the Network-file here (but NOT the first on top of the list (the newest)):
http://162.217.248.187/networks
5) unpack the network-file, you get a folder. In it a file. Rename it to weights.txt
6) Copy the weights.txt file in your leela-folder
7) start the lczero.exe -file one time with mouse-double-click. That creates a file called "leelaz_opencl_tuning", which is needed! (If you want to run Leela faster, create a small .bat file with one line in it "lczero.exe -w weights.txt --full-tuner" and start that .bat file with double-click. Then you have to wait around 20-30 minutes, while Leela tries around 5000 GPU-configurations in order to find the fastest.)
8) Start FritzGUI or ShredderGUI and create UCI-engine with lczero.exe. It is recommended, to set the number of Threads to the number of CPUs of your system, that makes Leela a little bit faster, although she uses the GPU for main calculations. (Thread is 2 by default)
velmarin

Post by velmarin »

You don't mention it, but it's probably the best choice for lczero.
Cutechess GUI.

Download here:
https://github.com/cutechess/cutechess/releases

Install lczero by changing network1 to the name of the network to use.

Robert Flesher

Post by Robert Flesher »

Thanks for all the reply folks. I tried all the methods here, and still no luck. It did install in Cutechess, however, it still does not run. :evil:
smatovic
Full name: Srdja Matovic

Post by smatovic »

it still does not run
maybe you can try in command line in LCzero's directory:

Code: Select all

lczero --tune-only
this should show your present OpenCL devices,
if no devices are shown,
then you will need some OpenCL drivers maybe.

--
Srdja
Robert Flesher

Post by Robert Flesher »

Well I decided to delete everything and re-install, now the damned thing works fine. Good! Thanks for all the help folks. :D
Robert Flesher

Post by Robert Flesher »

Robert Flesher wrote:Well I decided to delete everything and re-install, now the damned thing works fine. Good! Thanks for all the help folks. :D

Has anyone notice Lczero does not allow castling? At least in Cutechess?