Why Adjudicate Chess games by LeleaChess0, lc0, et al?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

BogStandard

Why Adjudicate Chess games by LeleaChess0, lc0, et al?

Post by BogStandard »

NB: I have revised this post, having received some "Peer Reviews" on another site (thankyou) and taking on board from there, the suggestion, that there may be a wider audience for this opinion.

When chess is played, as a game under time control rules, the adjudicator intervenes under specific circumstances according to the rules, and international laws, of chess.

So, whilst LeelaChess variants are still learning, why are games allowed to be adjudicated under the GUI? (Arena, cutechess, etc)

If you (as a chess player) are OK after the opening you are into the complex bit. If you get to the endgame there are a whole lot of other things to learn.

Games that I have viewed that I ran under the the LeelaChess project did go the full distance. So here I am referring to adjudicated games played (by fora members) and posted on chess websites.

LeelaChess should always be left to see if it can finish (an otherwise adjudicated) game. So please turn OFF adjudication on your own tournaments to properly test the whole-game abilitity of LeelaChess.

In summary, please DON'T Adjudicate a (3000+) learner.

Regards,

BogStandard
Uri Blass

Re: Why Adjudicate Chess games by LeleaChess0, lc0, et al?

Post by Uri Blass »

The reason for adjudication is to save time and without adjudication games will take more time.
People who do their own tournaments prefer that the tournaments will take less time even if in rare cases it means changing the result of the game.
yanquis1972

Post by yanquis1972 »

because the games don't matter any more than you make them, & as uri says, time is a universal factor.

if you are talking about properly testing ELO, that's another matter.
jp

Post by jp »

BogStandard wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:30 am In summary, please DON'T Adjudicate a (3000+) learner.
Who do you think is doing this? I think most people are letting it run to the end. Maybe because Leela is so bad at endgames.