Scorpio 3.0

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Daniel Shawul

Re: Scorpio 3.0

Post by Daniel Shawul »

Thanks for the bug report. There was a missing <string> header file which i have fixed now.

But note that you will not be able to use neural networks with it at the moment. It could be possible to use
tensorflow on mac in the future, however TensorRT does not support mac yet.

regards,
Daniel
Daniel Shawul

Post by Daniel Shawul »

tmokonen wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:43 am Well, that's a surprise for sure. Nice of Daniel to add that UCI support.
I have gone into the dark side Tony :)

There was no adapter for linux and windows wb2uci seem to cause time failures ..
Anyway I must say though UCI is a real pain so I don't know why so many are fixated on it.
For one, I still haven't figured out how pondering is supposed to work, because apparently i can not start
pondering after I made a move ... Also it sends the whole game to you after every move which is clumsy.
It is about 10-20 elo weaker right now compared to the xboard version.

Anyway, i recommend people to use the xboard protocol when they can.

Daniel
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

Good day,

I am getting the following error on Windows 10 with 2x GTX1060. Any ideas on how to correct this? Thanks

***UPDATE***

The problems appears to be with the syntax of the path on my windows machine. Not sure what is wrong, but when I copy the NN to the working directory of the engine then error goes away.

***ALSO***

Side note my GPU fans never seem to kick in when using Scorpio.
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by Max »

Daniel Shawul wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:21 pm But note that you will not be able to use neural networks with it at the moment. It could be possible to use
tensorflow on mac in the future, however TensorRT does not support mac yet.
Thanks for the fix. Scorpio 3.0.1 now compiles and runs here (within chess gui, which supports uci only). Looking forward to use neural networks with tensorflow in the future. :)
Hope we're not just the biological boot loader for digital super intelligence. Unfortunately, that is increasingly probable - Elon Musk
Daniel Shawul

Post by Daniel Shawul »

AdminX wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:53 pm Good day,

I am getting the following error on Windows 10 with 2x GTX1060. Any ideas on how to correct this? Thanks

***UPDATE***

The problems appears to be with the syntax of the path on my windows machine. Not sure what is wrong, but when I copy the NN to the working directory of the engine then error goes away.

***ALSO***

Please specify the full path when setting the nn_path to avoid issues with the script files.
Also remove the leading backslash, so a "nets-maddex/net-maddex.uff"

regards,
Daniel
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

Daniel Shawul wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:27 pm
AdminX wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:53 pm Good day,

***UPDATE***

***ALSO***

Please specify the full path when setting the nn_path to avoid issues with the script files.
Also remove the leading backslash, so a "nets-maddex/net-maddex.uff"

regards,
Daniel
What is the minimal hardware requirement Daniel?
From what I have read my GT710 will not be sufficient, but the cpu version also crashes at the same place
in the nnprobe.dll, no matter which network/float_type is set here.
(Old quadcore w/o popcount and SSE 4.1)
https://rwbc-chess.de

trollwatch:
Chessqueen + chessica + AlexChess + Eduard + Sylwy
Daniel Shawul

Post by Daniel Shawul »

There is no minimal GPU requirement that I know of. You won't be able to use HALF/INT8 precsion
on some gpus but FLOAT should work on any GPU even thought it will be slower. For > 10xx you can use INT8 that 4x faster than FLOAT.

On the other hand, running it on a CPU may require a modern cpu due to tensorflow dependency, but TensorRT should work on any GPU just fine.
The only issue right now is that the scropio binary is built with popcount -- I will add the no popcnt version later since the default version is now NN anyway.

Daniel
pohl4711
Full name: Stefan Pohl

Post by pohl4711 »

sadly the UCI-Scorpio is buggy. I installed it (completely new) and made all steps for INT8. When I start scorpio.bat in console-mode and type the UCI-command "go infinite" all works fine. But in the LittleBlitzerGUI, scorpio.bat can be installed as an engine, but does not make any move...I use the LBG since 2012 and that NEVER happend with any UCI-engine. So there must be a serious bug in scorpio-uci. I have to wait for a fix.

Stefan (SPCC)
Werner
Full name: Werner Schüle

Post by Werner »

What happens when you start scorpio-uci.bat instead of scorpio.bat?
Werner
pohl4711
Full name: Stefan Pohl

Post by pohl4711 »

Werner wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:56 am What happens when you start scorpio-uci.bat instead of scorpio.bat?
I used the install.bat file for Installation and in then bin/Windows folder is no "scorpio-uci.bat"...
Only scorpio.exe and scorpio.bat.
But scorpio.bat is definitly the uci-version, because it knows the commands "uci" and "go infinite". Which both work fine in console-mode.
But in LBG nothing happens.