Andscacs

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Alayan
Full name: Alayan Feh

Re: Andscacs

Post by Alayan »

Incorrect, the last open source version was 0.921 ; while the latest released version was 0.95 (~20-25 elo stronger).

I downloaded the 0.921 sources a few days before andscacs.com went down ; I could upload them if other people are interested and don't have them.
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

Alayan wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:14 pm Incorrect, the last open source version was 0.921 ; while the latest released version was 0.95 (~20-25 elo stronger).
Well, here's the plan:

1. Add some ~20-25 elo so it goes up to 0.95's strength.

2. Pretend this new engine was the last one before Daniel quit.

3. Add another ~20-25 elo and call it Andscacs 1.0.

4. The torch lives on!

Seriously though, the community has done amazing things with open source software, I'd be much more sad if this was closed source and doomed (like so many other chess projects that people abandoned without opening the source).
Alayan

Post by Alayan »

If someone wanted to make live on a dead open source engine, it would be easier to take Laser and build on it. Source in english and stronger.
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

I didn't know Laser was abandoned. I never had time to check it at all. But yes, in general I'd like to see a revival of old dead projects, for old time's sake. Open sourcing is a great tool and it'd be a shame if most open source engines were never visited again by someone in the future and being open was useless.
Roland Chastain
Full name: Roland Chastain

Post by Roland Chastain »

Alayan wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:14 pm Incorrect, the last open source version was 0.921 ; while the latest released version was 0.95 (~20-25 elo stronger).

I downloaded the 0.921 sources a few days before andscacs.com went down ; I could upload them if other people are interested and don't have them.
I would be interested. :wink:
Qui trop embrasse mal étreint.
jpqy

Post by jpqy »

You can check here and work on these engines when interested :

http://chess.grantnet.us/

Would be nice if more open sources engines could be included in this testframe.
supersharp77

Post by supersharp77 »

cdani wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:01 am Hello!
Yes, unless I had magically access to hundreds of cpus, I don't plan to continue with it. Or maybe in some years with much more powerful computers, who knows...
Many thanks to all for these nice years!
Best regards.
Your engine Andscacs..has reached the top levels in my tourneys for the past couple of years...style is solid but a bt too careful/ cautious..Engine depth is excellent....A bit more aggressive tone (slightly) will yield the results you are looking for...AR :) :wink:
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

supersharp77 wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:42 pm style is solid but a bt too careful/ cautious
I think my favorite style was from Andscacs 0.91, it was great to see it get stronger while keeping up with it. But it might have been impossible to make it stronger without style sacrificing. I also wonder if these subjective statements about style are real or they wouldn't hold up when measured, but I did notice a change ("fewer original move choices") starting from 0.92, understandable if those moves were making it play weaker.
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

Alayan wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:15 pm If someone wanted to make live on a dead open source engine, it would be easier to take Laser and build on it. Source in english and stronger.
I don't think that Laser is dead/abandoned. A beta is actually playing @ TCEC
https://wiki.chessdom.org/TCEC_Season_17_Engines#CPUL1
Best
Wolfgang
CEGT-Team
www.cegt.net
www.cegt.forumieren.com
Alayan

Post by Alayan »