Anyone know how to fix an DGT e-piece?

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

JohnW

Anyone know how to fix an DGT e-piece?

Post by JohnW »

I have a DGT Bluetooth chessboard and one of my white Bishops no longer registers. Anyone know if there is a way to fix it?
I sent an email to DGT but they are slow to answer.

Thank you,

John
mvanthoor
Full name: Marcel Vanthoor

Re: Anyone know how to fix an DGT e-piece?

Post by mvanthoor »

DGT sells chips that can be put into the pieces. An entire set costs €125 (for all pieces; intended to modify normal unweighted pieces to become DGT pieces). Maybe they also sell those chips one by one.

If your board is not too old, you could buy a single piece from them, but even then, you always run the risk of getting a piece that doesn't match. I just sold my old DGT USB-board from 2007 (with a Hirose USB connector) and replaced it with the current USB-board. Both were walnut boards with timeless pieces, but the colors were VERY different. (And to be honest, I liked the older colors better; more reddish brown instead of chocolate brown. But you can't expect DGT to keep producing from the same tree for 15 years...)
Author of Rustic, an engine written in Rust.
Releases | Code | Docs | Progress | CCRL
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Thanks. I was able to buy a replacement piece from ChessHouse.com for $15. I would love to know why it would just stop working.
mvanthoor
Full name: Marcel Vanthoor

Post by mvanthoor »

Normally it wouldn't; it's just a chip that reacts to electric/magnetic fields. Normally it would only stop working if it breaks; aka, if you drop the piece too hard or too often. It's the one thing that have to be taken in mind with DGT-pieces (at least, the older ones): don't drop them, or slam them on the board. For the rest they can be handled like normal chess pieces.
Author of Rustic, an engine written in Rust.
Releases | Code | Docs | Progress | CCRL