Banksia GUI released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

AdminX

Re: Banksia GUI released

Post by AdminX »

phhnguyen wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:35 am
AdminX wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:23 pm ...
PS: You can rock a gold look with the following:
PS: Not for me however. :D
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Perhaps, I should say "me too".

However, I have experience about that. A long time ago, I released a freeware chess Java Applet with highly customizable. One of the busy websites used that applet but supprised me much since it didn't use any themes I built carefully and showed in the demo nor somethings closed but a strong plain gold color instead. That made me doubt much about my art ability for a while :wink:
If you modify the following:

White Cell #e0e0e0

Black Cell #a0a0a0

Lowering Opacity

You can get this with the Metal Theme: https://i.ibb.co/fr6vMKC/2020-08-31-8-25-17.jpg
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by Rowen »

Is Banksia a portable program?
phhnguyen
Full name: Nguyen Hong Pham

Post by phhnguyen »

Rowen wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:48 pm Is Banksia a portable program?
Yes, it can run on Win64, macOS, Linux systems. Just download, unzip and click on program to run (don’t require installing).
https://banksiagui.com
The most features chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager
giorgio

Post by giorgio »

Hi phhnguyen,
first of all, congratulations for the great job you are doing.
After some days I'm using Banksia, I would have to report a bug and, if possible, some suggestions.

The bug occurs when I run a tournament. If I pause it (concurrency = 0) and exit the application as soon as the current game is over, I get an application error.
To avoid this I have to clean all the remaining information from the last game (Engine info, Moves and Score graph).
If I open a new game tab (human vs human) the information of those panels are still there, and again, if I exit the application, the error occurs.
If I open a second tab, those panels finally get clear and I can now exit without problems.
It seems that some information of the last game remains allocated and it cause an exception on exit.
My system has Win7 home edition, CPU i7 and 8GB of ram.

Suggestions (sorted by preference)
1) Assign a default elo (e.g. 2000 or 3000) when a new engine is created. Then apply the changes to any engine elo, based on the performance achieved in tournaments. It would be like an overall and historical performance indicator for its engine.
2) When a new tournament is created, sort the game list so that each engine has played at least one game before any other engine plays the second one. It would be like in a real live tournament. For example, in the simplest case, if there are 4 players, the current game list (without shuffling) is P1-P2 P1-P3 P1-P4 P2-P3 P2-P4 P3-P4, my proposal is to get P1-P2 P3-P4 P1-P3 P2-P4 P1-P4 P2-P3.
2) Remember, on application restart, which tab was selected in the tournament result panel, or save this information with the layout. Otherwise, make it possible to change the order of the tabs and save it.
4) Draw the whole crosstable of the tournament since the start, with all the cells empty of course.
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

Here is a collection of transparent PNG's that I am using with Banksia.

Examples:

Download Link:

Post by IanKennedy »

I am still getting no polyglot book applied in r2 onwards in Swiss tournament format, I reported this before (possibly I also mentioned knockout which had the same problem)... can you please check all tournament types use the book in all rounds thanks.
Author of the actively developed PSYCHO chess engine
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

Bug Report:

I have noticed on my Windows System that if view a live PGN game (TCEC for Example) in Banksia that once the game ends and I want to view the next game in the series, that even if I exit Banksia completely and then go back to open live url and enter the very same url, it will not open it and show be the next game.

What I have to do is open a new game setup (human vs human), then close the 1st open tab and then when I open the live url will it give me a new tab window displaying the current live url game. I wonder if this is related to the reason why when I try to start a local network game that the local network game tab has not been opening on the remote system because I am sure the the two systems see each other.

Post by JohnW »

I was wondering if you could consider adding functionality to the gui that would provide ratings to the engines based on the games\tournaments played.
I currently use a program called Ordo which works well but it's tedious to do manually.

Would be amazing if you could add that functionality! Thanks for your consideration..

https://sites.google.com/site/gaviotachessengine/ordo
BrendanJNorman
Full name: Brendan J Norman

Post by BrendanJNorman »

AdminX wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:10 pm Here is a collection of transparent PNG's that I am using with Banksia.

Examples:

Download Link:
These are beautiful, but any chance of sharing those lovely engine logos you're using? :lol:
Steppenwolf
Full name: Sven Steppenwolf

Post by Steppenwolf »

NEW FEATURE REQUEST PLEASE:

Can you implement in your GUI to read and use the Chessbase Megabase Format CBH as well as the Fritz Powerbook CTG?
That is planned in the next HCE release: http://www.hiarcs.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9768
That would be great for a free GUI for several platforms!
Keep going on with your nice tool!