Chess for Android and Electronic ChessBoards

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

abik
Full name: Aart Bik

Re: Chess for Android and Electronic ChessBoards

Post by abik »

abik wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:24 pm I have been away for a while, deeply focusing on work.
And focused on new work, I clearly was not paying attention to the changes going on in Android :-)

For all Android users that enjoy running engines but don't typically read the technical part of this forum, please have a look at this posting, since, if my understanding is right, this may impact the chess eco system on Android quite a bit....
Cornfed
Full name: Brian D. Smith

Post by Cornfed »

I so miss my OTB chess...most 3d gui's are just not very realistic.

So, on CyberMonday I was searching for a REASONABLY priced stand along computer chess game. One that you can play a decent game...say with a rating of 2000 and above - just something to spar against.

Does anyone know of such a device? Lets say under $200 USD?
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

Cornfed wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:25 pm I so miss my OTB chess...most 3d gui's are just not very realistic.

So, on CyberMonday I was searching for a REASONABLY priced stand along computer chess game. One that you can play a decent game...say with a rating of 2000 and above - just something to spar against.

I come in over your budget, but for $175 more I would recommend Millenium King Performance. ($375 USD on Amazon)

However you might find the DGT Plastic Chessboard with Pieces a better value at that price point. ($359 USD on Amazon)

On a side note, I feel the DGT Centaur (This is not the DGT Plastic Chessboard with Pieces (Different Product)) is overpriced at $359 USD and a value of $200 USD would be a great bargain.
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by PeterO »

Hi Aart,

have you seen Maia-chess? Veryyyyyyyy interesting!!!
Does it run on CFA? - how?

Peter
abik

Post by abik »

PeterO wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:42 pm have you seen Maia-chess? Veryyyyyyyy interesting!!!
Does it run on CFA? - how?
Peter,

If it is UCI/CECP that compiles for ARM, most likely, yes :-)

But have you been following this discussion? That will have a profound impact on chess engine distribution post API 29. All engines will have to be pre-packaged in their own chess package app first (assuming you follow the regular channels of installing the chess gui itself through Google Play; with sideloading for the time being other solutions are possible).
PeterO

Post by PeterO »

Hi Aart,

frankly speaking I read your words - but did NOT fully understand the consequences because of a language/technikal understanding. Api 29 ist for me a chinese word - with no meaning. :oops:

1. What can I do to avoid this problems? Not update my Android 9 phone?
2. Install CfA + engines in another way - NOT PLAYSTORE.

:?: :?: :?:

Peter
abik

Post by abik »

PeterO wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:31 pm What can I do to avoid this problems?
This issue will impact Android 10 (API 29) onwards. Also it only impacts apps that target API 29. Since this is a new requirement enforced by Google Play, all new apps or apps that want to post updates will be affected.

If you are on an older Android, you are good for now. Also, apps that have not updated and still target API 28 or lower are not impacted yet. I believe Droidfish is still on a lower level, as may others. So, as much as it pains me :-), I may have to refer you to those great apps.

As for Chess for Android, I may have to start offering an alternative download on my website for sideloading. I am still hopeful an Andoid-provided solution will present itself. I have proposed making W^X violation an explicit permission that users can grant to apps they trust.
PeterO

Post by PeterO »

Hi Aart,
Those apps may be great - but they DONT support my Millennium board. So NO alternative to „Chess for Android“.

Sideloading sounds good for me. Also hoping for a Android-provided solution. Please inform us when the problems are solved Aart!

Thank you

Peter
Cornfed

Post by Cornfed »

AdminX wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:59 am
Cornfed wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:25 pm I so miss my OTB chess...most 3d gui's are just not very realistic.

I come in over your budget, but for $175 more I would recommend Millenium King Performance. ($375 USD on Amazon)

However you might find the DGT Plastic Chessboard with Pieces a better value at that price point. ($359 USD on Amazon)

On a side note, I feel the DGT Centaur (This is not the DGT Plastic Chessboard with Pieces (Different Product)) is overpriced at $359 USD and a value of $200 USD would be a great bargain.
Well, I can afford far more...but can't justify paying so much for an electronic chess playing machine. I remember when I was a kid (mid-80's I think) getting a Fidelity Excellence and it was maybe a little over $100. Strange how electronics 'go down in price'...but not these things.
Cornfed

Post by Cornfed »

Cornfed wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:11 am
AdminX wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:59 am

Well, I can afford far more...but can't justify paying so much for an electronic chess playing machine. I remember when I was a kid (mid-80's I think) getting a Fidelity Excellence and it was maybe a little over $100. Strange how electronics 'go down in price'...but not these things.
Well, I did find the Millennimum ChessGenius (Richard Lang's program)...$169 and there are discounts out there this time of the year.
Just about 2200 USCF which so that's reasonable level to sparr against...for another $80 there is a 2400 USCF level version. Not bad looking and big enough to carry around, maybe lay in bed at night or take out on the deck and play a game or two.

https://www.uscfsales.com/chess-compute ... puter.html