Commercial Release of Ethereal 13.00 (NNUE) for AVX2 Systems

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Damir
Full name: Damir Desevac

Re: Commercial Release of Ethereal 13.00 (NNUE) for AVX2 Systems

Post by Damir »

pohl4711 wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:38 am
Milos wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:14 am
Wolfgang wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:01 am
JohnW wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:11 am ....
Just get a pre-paid Visa card at a store.
I'm pretty sure that this is NOT possible in Germany, where Stefan and me as well come from. At least not "at a store", you have to go to a bank...
Concerning credit cards, prepaid cards etc. we have a completely different infrastructure than the USA :)
Don't be a dinosaur. You don't have to go to the bank. There are ton of online "banks" (available in Europe and Germany) where you can get a pre-paid credit-card with a few clicks of a mouse.
Using credit-cards means being a dinosaur.
I suppose you are investing in crypto currencies, but such currencies are for the future and are not fully accepted by the majority of the people. :) :)
AlexChess
Full name: Alex Morales

Post by AlexChess »

supersharp77 wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:39 am
AndrewGrant wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:21 pm Please see: http://chess.grantnet.us/Ethereal/

Ethereal 13 has been released, with both a free (Standard) version and a commercial NNUE (Efficiently-Updated Neural Network) version which requires an AVX2 compatible system. The free version is available on Github, and offers minor elo gains over the previous version, with increased functionality for analysis. Ethereal continues its legacy of stability and reliability for analysis and engine play.
Checked github site a couple of times and as of this time there is no sign of a "Ethereal 13 Free Version with different win 64
Compiles"...There was nothing but source code...(at least so far)...Thx AR :) :wink:
Ethereal 13 NNUE has already been tested in one of the many rating lists? Should be at least 50 Elo stronger than Stockfish and derivatives on the same hardware to be interesting to buy...
Chess engines and dedicated chess computers fan since 1981 :D Mac mini M1 8GB-256GB, Windows 11 & Ubuntu ARM64.
ProteusSF Dev Forum TROLLS KINDERGARTEN
AndrewGrant
Full name: Andrew Grant

Post by AndrewGrant »

Hi all,

I'm in the process of setting up a second vendor, likely Shoppy.gg, which works with Paypal and even Crypto. I'm a big noob at this, so its taking me some time. I was trying Paypal initially, but it simply was not working as I had desired it to. Its not a question of automation -- I still have a human step in the process right now -- but a question of functionality on the buying side.

Also, I got more interest than I expected, and some offers from individuals to help me out by leveraging their sites / access in order to present Ethereal to more people. As a result, I'm seeing what I can do to include support for AVX, and SSSE3 systems. According to Valve's hardware survey, 99.23% of all CPUs have SSSE3 support (And actually Windows 8 requires SSSE3, I am told).

If/when I get a working, but optimal, solution for AVX and SSSE3, I will send out a mailer to everyone who has already gotten an AVX2 copy, in the event that they have other, older machines on which they want to run Ethereal. And actually, for first and second generation Ryzens, the AVX2 and AVX versions will likely be quite similar in speed.
#WeAreAllDraude #JusticeForDraude #RememberDraude #LeptirBigUltra
"Those who can't do, clone instead" - Eduard ( A real life friend, not this forum's Eduard )
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

AlexChess wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:56 pm
supersharp77 wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:39 am
AndrewGrant wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:21 pm Please see: http://chess.grantnet.us/Ethereal/

Ethereal 13 has been released, with both a free (Standard) version and a commercial NNUE (Efficiently-Updated Neural Network) version which requires an AVX2 compatible system. The free version is available on Github, and offers minor elo gains over the previous version, with increased functionality for analysis. Ethereal continues its legacy of stability and reliability for analysis and engine play.
Checked github site a couple of times and as of this time there is no sign of a "Ethereal 13 Free Version with different win 64
Compiles"...There was nothing but source code...(at least so far)...Thx AR :) :wink:
Ethereal 13 NNUE has already been tested in one of the many rating lists? Should be at least 50 Elo stronger than Stockfish and derivatives on the same hardware to be interesting to buy...
I guess that for that purpose you need to pay people in the stockfish team to stop devoting computer time for stockfish.

Having 3473 cores on testing stockfish at the same time means too many cores for the opponents to compete.

https://tests.stockfishchess.org/tests
Chessqueen
Full name: Jorge Picado

Post by Chessqueen »

AndrewGrant wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:04 pm Hi all,

I'm in the process of setting up a second vendor, likely Shoppy.gg, which works with Paypal and even Crypto. I'm a big noob at this, so its taking me some time. I was trying Paypal initially, but it simply was not working as I had desired it to. Its not a question of automation -- I still have a human step in the process right now -- but a question of functionality on the buying side.

Also, I got more interest than I expected, and some offers from individuals to help me out by leveraging their sites / access in order to present Ethereal to more people. As a result, I'm seeing what I can do to include support for AVX, and SSSE3 systems. According to Valve's hardware survey, 99.23% of all CPUs have SSSE3 support (And actually Windows 8 requires SSSE3, I am told).

If/when I get a working, but optimal, solution for AVX and SSSE3, I will send out a mailer to everyone who has already gotten an AVX2 copy, in the event that they have other, older machines on which they want to run Ethereal. And actually, for first and second generation Ryzens, the AVX2 and AVX versions will likely be quite similar in speed.
What would you say that your new NNUE engine is rated around ?
Do NOT worry and be happy, we all live a short life :roll:
AndrewGrant

Post by AndrewGrant »

Alright, I have gone ahead and added support for AVX. Website is updated to reflect this. I am still in the process of sorting out another commerce platform to deal with Paypal...

To give an idea about the slowdown (for all NNUE engines really), here is AVX vs AVX2.

Code: Select all

Ryzen 1950x (Only has 128-bit support, despite being AVX2)
./Ethereal-popcnt-avx  bench => 1323394 nps
./Ethereal-popcnt-avx2 bench => 1339972 nps

Code: Select all

Ryzen 3700x (Has 256-bit support, AVX, AVX2, FMA)
$ ./Ethereal-popcnt-avx  bench => 1529139 nps
$ ./Ethereal-popcnt-avx2 bench => 1955453 nps
"Those who can't do, clone instead" - Eduard ( A real life friend, not this forum's Eduard )
Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

Nonsense
Cornfed
Full name: Brian D. Smith

Post by Cornfed »

Werewolf wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:35 pm

Nonsense
Does seem a bit far fetched... :roll:
AndrewGrant

Post by AndrewGrant »

Cornfed wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:26 am
Werewolf wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:35 pm
AlexChess wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:56 pm Ethereal 13 NNUE has already been tested in one of the many rating lists? Should be at least 50 Elo stronger than Stockfish and derivatives on the same hardware to be interesting to buy...
Nonsense
Does seem a bit far fetched... :roll:
If something comes out that is +50 to Stockfish, and is not derived from Stockfish...
Well I think everyone in the chess world would be opening their wallets for that one.
kranium

Post by kranium »

AndrewGrant wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:03 pm
pohl4711 wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:21 pm I do not have a credit card (and dont want to get one). So, without the possibility to pay with PayPal or GooglePay, I cannot buy Ethereal 13 and cannot test it.
I am in the process of getting Paypal to work. Originally I was planning to use Paypal, as it has greater name recognition, and charges lower fees on my end, where as Stripe takes a fair chunk for non US transactions. Paypal integration seemed like it was only meant for sending physical products, not making digital purchases. As a last resort, I might end up adding a Paypal link which will not be a "sale" page, but simply a money transfer page. Downside is that I will not be able to automate the process as well.
top testing sites shouldn't have to pay for it...
spcc, fastgm, ccrl, & cegt all deserve a free professional 'courtesy' copy IMO