Stockfish: Our lawsuit against ChessBase

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

dkappe
Full name: Dietrich Kappe

Re: Stockfish: Our lawsuit against ChessBase

Post by dkappe »

DrCliche wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:04 am What's mysterious about wanting ChessBase to fail? They have repeatedly acted in bad faith, contravening both the spirit and the letter of the GPL. At some point, bad behavior becomes so severe that it's rational to believe that social welfare is maximized by removing entirely the ability of the bad actor to continue misbehaving. People may disagree on where that line is ... but even Norway jails people, some of them for life.
If your organization files a lawsuit with the primary intention of hurting the reputation of the defendant, that’s problematic, especially if you make public statements to that effect.
Fat Titz by Stockfish, the engine with the bodaciously big net. Remember: size matters. If you want to learn more about this engine just google for "Fat Titz".
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

dkappe wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:09 am
DrCliche wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:04 am What's mysterious about wanting ChessBase to fail? They have repeatedly acted in bad faith, contravening both the spirit and the letter of the GPL. At some point, bad behavior becomes so severe that it's rational to believe that social welfare is maximized by removing entirely the ability of the bad actor to continue misbehaving. People may disagree on where that line is ... but even Norway jails people, some of them for life.
If your organization files a lawsuit with the primary intention of hurting the reputation of the defendant, that’s problematic, especially if you make public statements to that effect.
Why is computer chess so full of nasty, spiteful people?
Quite sad really.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
noobpwnftw

Post by noobpwnftw »

So among all things it is the publicity that you cared most about, no wonder.

Me likes to see ChessBase fail? Funny, if only one assumes scamming and copyright infringement is all they do, then sure.

That's why I find it entertaining if ChessBase ends up going after Houdart or ASilver, oh man I'll trade my soul for them jumping the gun on this.
noobpwnftw

Post by noobpwnftw »

Graham Banks wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:10 am Why is computer chess so full of nasty, spiteful people?
Quite sad really.
Have I worked hard enough to be on that list? Quite curious.

...what what? You got a list of nasty, spiteful computer chess people?
dkappe

Post by dkappe »

noobpwnftw wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:11 am So among all things it is the publicity that you cared most about, no wonder.

Me likes to see ChessBase fail? Funny, if only one assumes scamming and copyright infringement is all they do, then sure.

That's why I find it entertaining if ChessBase ends up going after Houdart or ASilver, oh man I'll trade my soul for them jumping the gun on this.
Do I care about the publicity? No, not particularly. I just really expected that the attorneys would have told you to put a sock in it by now. :D

What do you mean by “scamming?”
Fat Titz by Stockfish, the engine with the bodaciously big net. Remember: size matters. If you want to learn more about this engine just google for "Fat Titz".
AndrewGrant
Full name: Andrew Grant

Post by AndrewGrant »

dkappe wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:48 am
AndrewGrant wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:36 am
Denial <--- We are here
Anger
Bargaining
Depression
Acceptance
Neither you (to my knowledge, correct me if I’m wrong) nor I are involved with either the stockfish project or chessbase. Why would we be going through the 5 stages of grief about this?

I do have a rooting interest as I think the GPL violation claims about FF2 are without merit. I’m just perplexed about this publicity push and this seeming desire by noob to see ChessBase fail. He doesn’t seem to be willing to own up to it. If you want to continue to be his Greek chorus, be my guest.
We = You in this case. And I am apart of the Stockfish project to a degree.
I also think that Chessbase is intentionally marketing their products towards a demographic that is not aware of the origins of the product to a higher degree than English, German, and Russian speakers. Which I find profoundly racist, and for that they deserve to lose their position in the marketplace.
#WeAreAllDraude #JusticeForDraude #RememberDraude #LeptirBigUltra
"Those who can't do, clone instead" - Eduard ( A real life friend, not this forum's Eduard )
dkappe

Post by dkappe »

AndrewGrant wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:28 am
We = You in this case. And I am apart of the Stockfish project to a degree.
Excellent! Glad to hear it.
I also think that Chessbase is intentionally marketing their products towards a demographic that is not aware of the origins of the product to a higher degree than English, German, and Russian speakers. Which I find profoundly racist, and for that they deserve to lose their position in the marketplace.
Tell me more. :D
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

AndrewGrant wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:28 am......I am apart of the Stockfish project to a degree.
Do you mean a part of or apart from?
gbanksnz at gmail.com
connor_mcmonigle
Full name: Connor McMonigle

Post by connor_mcmonigle »

Desiring to see a company which has repeatedly violated your license fail is natural. This is only really problematic if the intent of the lawsuit was to see to the failure of the offending company. However, clearly, the intent of the lawsuit is to enforce the GPL and the consequences of its termination on account of the license violations. To suggest otherwise would be to misrepresent what has been stated.
dkappe

Post by dkappe »

connor_mcmonigle wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:44 am Desiring to see a company which has repeatedly violated your license fail is natural. This is only really problematic if the intent of the lawsuit was to see to the failure of the offending company. However, clearly, the intent of the lawsuit is to enforce the GPL and the consequences of its termination on account of the license violations. To suggest otherwise would be to misrepresent what has been stated.
I encourage you to review noob’s statements here and elsewhere. I suppose one might make the argument that he hasn’t been a part of or a leader in the stockfish project. I don’t think that will wash, do you?