Engines that could catch up Houdini 3 in 2013

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Which engine will catch up Houdini 3 Pro in 2013?

Komodo MP
34%
Deep Rybka 5
20%
Critter
13%
Strelka
11%
Stockfish
7%
Other engine - please specify it
16%

Total votes: 56

michiguel

Re: Engines that could catch up Houdini 3 in 2013

Post by michiguel »

JuLieN wrote:
Adam Hair wrote:
michiguel wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:Houdini will be surpassed during 2013....

And the winner is......

You'll have to wait a little bit yet regards,
Dr.D
Bird, fish, reptile, or mammal? or an undefined critter?

Miguel
A flesh-eating Argentine seagull. They have become mean.

Beware! It may develop a taste for fish, reptiles, other gulls, any sort of critter! :shock:

Amazing! :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: Why am I not surprised? ;)
I DON'T ALWAYS DRINK BEER, BUT WHEN I DO
I PREFER A WHALE ON THE SIDE
Adam Hair

Post by Adam Hair »

michiguel wrote:
JuLieN wrote:
Adam Hair wrote:
michiguel wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:Houdini will be surpassed during 2013....

And the winner is......

You'll have to wait a little bit yet regards,
Dr.D
Bird, fish, reptile, or mammal? or an undefined critter?

Miguel
A flesh-eating Argentine seagull. They have become mean.

Beware! It may develop a taste for fish, reptiles, other gulls, any sort of critter! :shock:

Amazing! :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: Why am I not surprised? ;)
I DON'T ALWAYS DRINK BEER, BUT WHEN I DO
I PREFER A WHALE ON THE SIDE

Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

S.Taylor wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Lavir wrote:
S.Taylor wrote: Someone said a few weeks a go that Rybka bought a huge piece of chess programming which he will incorporate in his next version, which is alot stronger than Houdini.
You mean the tale of the Indian genius that died of celebral malaria that developed the engine that Vas bought?

Well, I suppose that Houdini is already in the past then... oh wait! shouldn't that happen before the end of 2012? I suppose the ghost of the guy come to pacts with the maya that they would posticipate the apocalypse if he didn't reveal the last bit of codes to Vas during the usual seance until after 2013, elsewhere all that work was for nothing.
I don't buy this story either......
Dr.D
You mean it's a joke theme?
Genius, best chess program ever/cerebral malaria. Looks like opposites.
But then,
dead!
And then,
Vas has it, and paid alot of money for it!

And who wrote this? Someone not in this thread?
Exactly :wink:
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Uri

Post by Uri »

The next version of Deep Hiarcs probably could and maybe even the next version of Deep Junior. Also the next version of Vitrovius could maybe too.

There are many powerful commerical chess engines on the market to choose from today and their playing strength becomes even better in each new generation.

I don't think we are that far off from perfect play actually. It probably would take another 600 Elo points from Houdini 3 before engines will start to play perfect chess.
Tomcass

Post by Tomcass »

kranium wrote:
FriedmannC wrote:Which engine will catch up Houdini 3 in 2013?
IvanHoe
(or whatever the new name is)

a bunch of brilliant young engine programmers with a real cause...
(= motivation)

the most significant open-source code release since Fruit in 2005,
and the basis of many/most of todays strongest engine(s)
I agree with you, Norman. My four potential candidates -none of them in TalkChess list!- are:

- Panchess (Peterpan)
- Bouquet (Velmarin)
- QuoVadis (QuocVuong) and
- Amitis (Mahya).

None of them is even close from Houdini 3.0 Pro at this moment, but these four programmers are brilliant. The progression of their engines, working on the Ivanhoe and Stockfish basis is impressive. My guess that one of them will reach the second place in the world ranking, perhaps at Houdini 3.0 Pro level.

I wish a WONDERFUL 2013 to all the TalkChess community.

Tom.
JuLieN
Full name: Julien Marcel

Post by JuLieN »

Tomcass wrote:I agree with you, Norman. My four potential candidates -none of them in TalkChess list!-
Considering that Talkchess is a totally neutral zone that has no official position in any debate, you probably meant "Teodoriu's list"? :)
"The only good bug is a dead bug." (Don Dailey)
[Blog: http://tinyurl.com/predateur ] [Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/fbpredateur ] [MacEngines: http://tinyurl.com/macengines ]
K I Hyams

Post by K I Hyams »

Uri wrote:The next version of Deep Hiarcs probably could and maybe even the next version of Deep Junior. Also the next version of Vitrovius could maybe too.

There are many powerful commerical chess engines on the market to choose from today and their playing strength becomes even better in each new generation.

I don't think we are that far off from perfect play actually. It probably would take another 600 Elo points from Houdini 3 before engines will start to play perfect chess.
Over the last 30 years, we have seen an increase in strength of the engines/hardware combination of close to 1000 Elo. Many of the weaknesses that we saw in the eighties are still there; they are very difficult to rectify. If positional knowledge could be added that eliminated a substantial number of those weaknesses, the consequences of those additions would be that an overall increase of more than 600 Elo would be realised.

You can't "start to play perfect chess" anymore than you can start to be dead. Correspondence chess GM Robin Smith, who is now, very regrettably, totally dead, once said that if an opponent relied entirely on Rybka, he could always beat him. Hardly surprising, because he was adding GM knowledge, technique and judgment to the attributes of Rybka. While I wouldn't claim that his input was adding 600 Elo to the Rybka output, it was adding a considerable amount and the combined output of the two was still a long way from perfect.

Incidentally, a few days ago, I saw the groundless and fanciful claim that an engine would have to reach 16000 Elo before it could play perfect chess.
velmarin

Post by velmarin »

If every new idea in an engine,
corresponds to 5 or 10 points ELO.

I need 20 good new ideas.

Or a good stroke of luck.

Other engines see them in the same conditions.
Hopefully I'm wrong.
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Uri wrote:The next version of Deep Hiarcs probably could and maybe even the next version of Deep Junior. Also the next version of Vitrovius could maybe too.

I think that no one knows for sure the exact Elo needed to reach the perfect chess........
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
kranium

Post by kranium »

Lavir wrote:
kranium wrote: IvanHoe
(or whatever the new name is)

a bunch of brilliant young engine programmers with a real cause...
(= motivation)

the most significant open-source code release since Fruit in 2005,
and the basis of many/most of todays strongest engine(s)
If you and/or your friends would have been able to, you would already done so, much before (via RE or whatever). You couldn't neither catch Houdini 2 no matter what, so of what are you talking about is beyond me.
but Fabio,
the last release of IvanHoe (999946 Beta) was Oct. 31, 2011,
and Houdini 2.0 was released Feb. 24, 2012!
Lavir wrote: and then you blame Robert for "copying", it's hypocrisy time!
well, many find this stuff quite convincing:
http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopi ... t&start=44
http://www.open-chess.org/viewtopic.php ... 7&start=10

everyone should draw their own conclusion, and is entitled to their own perception, no matter what...
i can accept that

regards,
Norm