A New Name for Doch....

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

sockmonkey

Re: A New Name for Doch....

Post by sockmonkey »

Kirk wrote:Or how about names after the movie "The Last Don" :)
Fredo
The Don

some others (for no particular reason, in no particular order)

Pops
Miranda (more Shakespeare, but maybe mob-inspired, too!)
Lomax
CRoberson

Post by CRoberson »

Don wrote:
fern wrote:If you have played as much as i have done this new program by Don, you will agree with me that it is too strong and special to have such vacuous name as it has now. Maybe we could propose some alternatives and perhaps Don could be tempted by one of them.
In my case, considering the crushing ability to get you fast, I would call it "Killer".
Surely there are many other better names.
Your bet?

Fern
Hi Fernando!

If you come up with a good name I might indeed be tempted. I never intended to stick with the name "Doch" anyway.
Shredder is a very good program and also the name of a nemesis of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. The TMNT always beat
Shredder in the end, so pick your name from that. They were Leonardo, Michelangelo, Donatello and Raphael. Their mentor was
named Splinter. You might decide the name based on their weapon of choice or just use a weapon name. Katana sounds good.
Also, Katana brings to thought some interesting chess images. Then again, why not use the name of a weapon European sword:
Sabre, Claymore, ..... A short name based on a weapon. Sabre and Katana sound better than Claymore from that perspective.

Then again the name of a famous knight or warrior would work. Its a game where you do battle; a battle of wits.

If you want to be elegant then Escher. You really have to wrap your head around some positions.

Those are some quick thoughts for names.
noctiferus

Re: Achilles ...

Post by noctiferus »

Frank Quisinsky wrote:Hi,

yes, I understand ...

The same problem Germans have with "doch" English speakers have with "Achilles".

Perhaps Achilles have an other english notation.

I mean the greatest Greek hero of the Trojan War.
Achilles - Greek Hero at Troy.

Best
Frank
Yes , he's the same one, invulnerable except than in his heel... :P
Thomas Mayer

Post by Thomas Mayer »

Don wrote:And I want to stay away from mythology and gods and goddesses and such.
what about Alfred ? Or "Me Worry ?" ? ;) Or just "E" ? Just get that idea looking at your avatar... ;)

Greets, Thomas
Paloma
Full name: Herbert L

Post by Paloma »

my suggestion: Donkau 8-)
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Don wrote:
Kirk wrote:Wasn't Plato a student of Socrates? :)
I think I had a program we called plato at one time. It was not released under that name but we were sticking with that theme.

I'm looking for something different now. Something friendlier and less pretentious. And I want to stay away from mythology and gods and goddesses and such.

Don
Python or Cobra. :P
gbanksnz at gmail.com
sockmonkey

Post by sockmonkey »

Graham Banks wrote:
Don wrote:
I think I had a program we called plato at one time. It was not released under that name but we were sticking with that theme.

I'm looking for something different now. Something friendlier and less pretentious. And I want to stay away from mythology and gods and goddesses and such.

Don
Python's a programming language, and Cobra is the evil organization that GI Joe fights against (at least in the 80's cartoons). But, you made me think of another one!

kiwi :D

Actually a nice, if left-field, name for a chess engine.

jb
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

sockmonkey wrote:
Python's a programming language, and Cobra is the evil organization that GI Joe fights against (at least in the 80's cartoons). But, you made me think of another one!

jb
Kiwi has already been taken as an engine name.

Cheers,
Graham.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
noctiferus

Post by noctiferus »

Weka?
Edit: Wekachess? (Weka is already use for a well known datamining tool.)
Last edited by noctiferus on Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas Mayer

Post by Thomas Mayer »

sockmonkey wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:
Don wrote:

Don

jb
As far as I know Kiwi does exist as an engines name. Afaik it's an engine of Alessandro Scotti. Seems it isn't so easy to find an engine name that wasn't used before nowadays ;) But at least Kiwi is a name that would fulfill Dons wish for a friendly name - that was my main idea behind the name Alfred, but anyway as someone else has already pointed out in that thread, in Dons position I would stay with Doch, imho the name isn't that bad. AND unique... ;)

Greets, Thomas