Myracle GUI

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderator: Ras

Modern Times
Posts: 3954
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:02 pm

Re: Myracle GUI

Post by Modern Times »

mar wrote: ↑Tue Oct 06, 2026 8:40 am what happened was that Andres simply installed a new princhess over the old,
Ah - I have never done that in more than 20 years of running chess engines, and with greatest respect to Andres it is not a wise thing to do as he found out :) Always uninstall and re-install is best practice :wink:
mar
Posts: 3037
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:00 pm
Location: Czech Republic
Full name: Martin Sedlak

Re: Myracle GUI

Post by mar »

Modern Times wrote: ↑Tue Oct 06, 2026 8:54 am Ah - I have never done that in more than 20 years of running chess engines, and with greatest respect to Andres it is not a wise thing to do as he found out :) Always uninstall and re-install is best practice :wink:
well, my apologies to Andres :)

yes I also always create a new folder and install new versions as new engines - but people do all sorts of things with engines and GUIs
I'm simply trying to minimize possible user error, but it's impossible to catch everything.

which reminds me that I recently found some rogue crafty 25.2 binary, no idea where I got it from (660992 bytes, dates 29 oct 2016)
that when it receives the memory command (like memory 256) it allocates 48 gigabytes of RAM instead
(found it by accident in some test tournament with hash overrides enabled)
another 25.2 binary from Michael Byrne works fine however

no idea how to prevent this from happening (it can easily ruin any tournament it participates in) - while I do monitor process memory usage, it's not 100% reliable and may include cached memory mapped syzygy etc. - so I won't do anything about it.

ditto if an engine decides to spin all the available cores no matter what, can't prevent it either. or if someone packs a malware with the engine (which is btw why I refused to implement features like installing a folder of engines - seemed way too dangerous)

on a side note, ran 1m games (1sec sudden death) in a single go with build 141, it ran flawlessly,
producing 2.2gb uncompressed pgn and ~20mb tour file, so that's pretty efficient I think. peak GUI memory usage was around 300MB, that's good too with a schedule this huge, no memory leaks, no crashes. I think we're reaching pretty good stability now.
Modern Times
Posts: 3954
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:02 pm

Re: Myracle GUI

Post by Modern Times »

mar wrote: ↑Tue Oct 06, 2026 9:29 am on a side note, ran 1m games (1sec sudden death) in a single go with build 141, it ran flawlessly,
producing 2.2gb uncompressed pgn and ~20mb tour file, so that's pretty efficient I think. peak GUI memory usage was around 300MB, that's good too with a schedule this huge, no memory leaks, no crashes. I think we're reaching pretty good stability now.
Amazing - yes you've nailed this :)