Spike is a great blitzer!! Rybka doesn't win?!

Discussion of computer chess matches and engine tournaments.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Kirill Kryukov

Re: Spike is a great blitzer!! Rybka doesn't win?!

Post by Kirill Kryukov »

eriq wrote:Just a small tourney to test arena, but very surprising as to the results :shock: I used little arena book for all.

1: GrapeFruit1beta 4.0/6 ·· =1 0= 11 9.50
2: Spike 1.2 4.0/6 =0 ·· 1= 11 8.50
3: Rybka 2.2 32 bit 3.0/6 1= 0= ·· 10 9.00
4: ProDeo 1.5 1.0/6 00 00 01 ·· 3.00

12 games played / Tournament is finished
Name of the tournament: Arena tournament
Site/ Country: OSIRIS, United States
Level: Blitz 5/0
Hardware: AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-60 with 2,944 MB Memory
Operating system: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Edition Service Pack 1 (Build 6001)
I don't think that you can make any conclusions based on the results you report. Will you also post a :shock: smiley based on a single game, if the stronger engine did not win it?
eriq wrote:Yes in fact I watched most of the games and was very disappointed in the
opening book, however this was not a test of engines, so much as, a test of a so-called finished product :roll: (Arena 2.0)
If you want to test engines as a "finished product" you should use engines with their own opening books. If you want to understand how strong the engines are by themselves, you need to use a much shorter general book (limited to 7 or 8 moves per side, or at most 12). If you test "Arena 2.0" as a finished product, then reporting engine-engine results is irrelevant?

Best,
Kirill
eriq

Post by eriq »

ok, what part of this was just a quick trial of arena don't you understand??

What makes you think this was some serious attempt at showing off engines?? Also I do not judge engines by their results only, Spike played very well in many different kinds of positions and was a pleasure to watch.

If you would like a professional test of something then do it yourself, you have my vote for best tester :roll:

lastly, hint: this was done for my benefit not anyone else s, I was just kind enough to display the results and I am glad I did. I learned a lot

1. arena needs better book
2. arena is stable ( i hope also in linux via wine, my next test )
3. I need to find a good small book for arena or create one
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

eriq wrote:ok, what part of this was just a quick trial of arena don't you understand??

What makes you think this was some serious attempt at showing off engines?? Also I do not judge engines by their results only, Spike played very well in many different kinds of positions and was a pleasure to watch.

If you would like a professional test of something then do it yourself, you have my vote for best tester :roll:

lastly, hint: this was done for my benefit not anyone else s, I was just kind enough to display the results and I am glad I did. I learned a lot

Don't get offended Eriq,Kirill is a good guy :D
Now for your 3 notes:
1.Definitely,it doesn't have one yet,although there is a big advertisement going on for years now....
2.Yes,it's stable,but still has nasty bugs living in it....
3.What do you mean by small book :!: :?:
I can help you out in this manner....
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Marc Lacrosse

Post by Marc Lacrosse »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote: 1. arena needs better boo
(...)
1.Definitely,it doesn't have one yet,although there is a big advertisement going on for years now....

Arena book-making functions are ....
... completely undocumented
... very poor to say the least

Polyglot books are light-years ahead regarding tools, documentation and power !

There is only one possible conclusion : forget this abk books and do use polyglot books through polyglot under arena!

Marc
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Marc Lacrosse wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote: 1. arena needs better boo
(...)

Arena book-making functions are ....
... completely undocumented
... very poor to say the least

Polyglot books are light-years ahead regarding tools, documentation and power !

There is only one possible conclusion : forget this abk books and do use polyglot books through polyglot under arena!

Marc

I totaly agree Marc,but I lack the knowledge to make and use polyglot opening books under Arena....
A link to a good documentation easy to understand is much appreciated :D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Kirill Kryukov

Post by Kirill Kryukov »

eriq wrote:ok, what part of this was just a quick trial of arena don't you understand??

Hi Eriq, sorry if I sounded negative. I just did not understand the point of the original post and I thought there was no reason to be surprised. Thanks for clarifying it for me.

I too believe that all test results are valuable.

Best,
Kirill
Mike S.

Post by Mike S. »

eriq wrote:I need to find a good small book for arena or create one
The Balanced-14.abk has 219.639 moves, ~6 MB (zip: ~1 MB only):

http://remixshare.com/?file=t1uo6hcg1u

The predecessor Xmas2640.abk is even smaller (152.491 moves, ~ 4 MB) , but doesn't have as many variations as the Balanced-14. Maximal variation length is 14 full moves, for both. I think the (default) adjustments of the book settings I found for the Balanced-14, are a bit better. Both are meant for "same book for all" engine vs. engine tests.

http://members.aon.at/computerschach/li ... #downloads

(both include readme files with more info)
Regards, Mike
pichy

Post by pichy »

Mike S. wrote:
eriq wrote:I need to find a good small book for arena or create one
The Balanced-14.abk has 219.639 moves, ~6 MB (zip: ~1 MB only):

http://remixshare.com/?file=t1uo6hcg1u

After testing for almost 3 weeks with different arena's openings, I found the Balanced-14.abk to be the best and most recent opening book for testing engine vs engine:wink:

Pichard
eriq

Post by eriq »

It's ok, I just got another book xmas2640 and will run event again.

I don't really take these things to seriously because of the total number of games is too low to come to any conclusion anyway.
eriq

Post by eriq »

I am replacing the new rebel w/ ruffian hopefully it will do better.

Wish I had more engines.