M1 Apple Silicon for Chess?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

AlexChess
Full name: Alex Morales

Re: M1 Apple Silicon for Chess?

Post by AlexChess »

wickedpotus wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:50 am
AlexChess wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 7:10 pm
Can malware use this vulnerability to take over my computer?
No.
(true not by the flaw itself)
AlexChess wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 7:10 pm Can malware use this vulnerability to steal my private information?
No.
Wrong.. letting unprivileged supposedly sandboxed applications communicate is a perfect way for keyloggers, browser-malware, NSA-style spying orgs, etc. to steal and transmit private information.
AlexChess wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 7:10 pm Can malware use this vulnerability to rickroll me?
Yes. I mean, it could also rickroll you without using it.
These kinds of basic fail from Apple to follow design guidelines from ARM do not help security in any way, and as it is unfixable it will be an added tool in the toolkit for the North-Koreans out there :-)
AlexChess wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 7:10 pm Can this be exploited from Javascript on a website?
No.
If you simply assume that the browser, OS, javascript implementation, and webassembly implementation is 100% flawless and bulletproof then this added security defect won't be possible to exploit... But ... ...
AlexChess wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 7:10 pm Can this be exploited from Java apps?
Wait, people still use Java?
Java is most definitively used more than any Swift or even MacOS as a whole.
AlexChess wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 7:10 pm Can this be exploited from Flash applets?
Please stop.
I thought your argument about why security is not a problem on Apple products could not get any worse... But you managed to sink the rhetoric lower :-)
They aren't my toughts, I'm only referring the opinions of a security expert, if you read his post until the conclusions.
Chess engines and dedicated chess computers fan since 1981 :D Mac mini M1 8GB-256GB, Windows 11 & Ubuntu ARM64.
ProteusSF Dev Forum TROLLS KINDERGARTEN
wickedpotus
Full name: Aron Rodgriges

Post by wickedpotus »

AlexChess wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:00 pm They aren't my toughts, I'm only referring the opinions of a security expert, if you read his post until the conclusions.
I have studied the CVE and proof of concept demo-code thoroughly, and your statements about "java" and "flash applets" (whatever that is :-P ) are just silly talk...

The most vulnerable people for hacks these days are usually the ones who rely on companies pushing "security by obscurity"... And think they are "safe" because they run a less popular OS, and thinks that flaws are "unlikely to be used" :-)

Just like the XcodeGhost Malware that Infected 100+ Million iOS Users and Apple .... Said Nothing ...

;.(
AlexChess

Post by AlexChess »

wickedpotus wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:25 pm
AlexChess wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:00 pm They aren't my toughts, I'm only referring the opinions of a security expert, if you read his post until the conclusions.
I have studied the CVE and proof of concept demo-code thoroughly, and your statements about "java" and "flash applets" (whatever that is :-P ) are just silly talk...

The most vulnerable people for hacks these days are usually the ones who rely on companies pushing "security by obscurity"... And think they are "safe" because they run a less popular OS, and thinks that flaws are "unlikely to be used" :-)

Just like the XcodeGhost Malware that Infected 100+ Million iOS Users and Apple .... Said Nothing ...

;.(
They aren't my toughts, I'm only referring the opinions of a security expert, if you read his post until the conclusions.
Chess engines and dedicated chess computers fan since 1981 :D Mac mini M1 8GB-256GB, Windows 11 & Ubuntu ARM64.
cpeters
Full name: Christian Petersen

Post by cpeters »

Direct your thoughts/objections to Hector (he's on twitter, you know), because he wrote about it in the first place (as he is the submitter/founder of the bug, too. He also provided the proof of concept which you can use for your endeavours. Again: can't you read?)!

https://m1racles.com/
What is it with you? How has introducing a security-bug in a chip design anything to do with a backdoored compiler? A compiler trojaned by some folks and made ready for download by them (and not apple); used by lazy idiots (don't they know checksums)? Downloading a COMPILER/developing suite from some random chinese site? How stupid can one be?

Developing on a cracked operating system can shaft you and your customers thoroughly? Really? Who would have known...

How would the people from the GCC-team (not speaking about a hacked repository here..) responsible for such an incidence?

Wrong.. letting unprivileged supposedly sandboxed applications communicate is a perfect way for keyloggers, browser-malware, NSA-style spying orgs, etc. to steal and transmit private information.
Pineapple of idiocy.
Letting one NSA-KEYLOGGER (through zer0-day, but, yeah, sandboxed, and, drumroll, unprivileged) *speak* to another MALWARE (whoowhoo, a sandboxed one!) can own you? Goldstar! You've struck garlic!
Do you earn your income through doing "security" things?

This thread is for "M1 silicon for chess" btw. If you want to write about CVEs, obscurity, too less RAM/CPU-/GPU-power on their devices, please open a new thing about the shitty (apple)OS+hardware!

Thank you!
wickedpotus

Post by wickedpotus »

cpeters wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:41 pm This thread is for "M1 silicon for chess" btw. If you want to write about CVEs, obscurity, too less RAM/CPU-/GPU-power on their devices, please open a new thing about the shitty (apple)OS+hardware!

Thank you!
Great then lead by example, yourself, and stop posting these lenghty (much longer post than the orignal short note) big rants of how insignificant you believe the hw vulnerabilites of this chipset is (the developer Hector who stumbled on the flaw obivously have his own commersially vested selfish interest to downplay the risks of the vulnerability as a founder of a software-company in bed with Apple ) :-)
AlexChess

Post by AlexChess »

Hi Acepoint,

Ethereal 13.00 has just been released by Andy Grant on GitHub. Could you please compile it for Silicon M1 Neon?

https://github.com/AndyGrant/Ethereal/r ... tag/v13.00

Regard, AlexChess

PS: also Corchess 1.4 NNUE 210604 has been released.
cpeters
Full name: Christian Petersen

Post by cpeters »

Hector who stumbled on the flaw obivously have his own commersially vested selfish interest to downplay the risks of the vulnerability as a founder of a software-company in bed with Apple
Which software-company do you have in mind?

greetings
wickedpotus

Post by wickedpotus »

A quick Summary of Apple M1 for chess compared to some AMD mobile options.

AlexChess

Post by AlexChess »

Tomorrow at WDCC21 Apple will show new Silicon Mx devices 2-3 times faster, but still slims, silents and freshes. AMD like INTEL and Microsoft with Windows 11 are moving to ARM, that is the future :wink:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ster-chips

https://www.xda-developers.com/windows-11/

Note that, as Windows Insider, I'm already using x64 chess engines emulated since 6 months and ARM64 Igel 3.0.5 native (while others will follow) on Windows 10 ARM64, and it is perfecty stable. Same for Ubuntu ARM64.
wickedpotus

Post by wickedpotus »

AlexChess wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:00 am Tomorrow at WDCC21 Apple will show new Silicon Mx devices 2-3 times faster, but still slims, silents and freshes. AMD like INTEL and Microsoft with Windows 11 are moving to ARM, that is the future :wink:

Note that, as Windows Insider, I'm already using x64 chess engines emulated since 6 months and ARM64 Igel 3.0.5 native (while others will follow) on Windows 10 ARM64, and it is perfecty stable. Same for Ubuntu ARM64.
The most interesting part will be to know if the new Apple computers will have options of an added on-board GPU-chipset (Nvidia or AMD) apart from the on-chip apple-silicone-one (which pretty much sucks for Chess/AI).

They have to come out with at least 8+4 cores (8 full speed 4 low-power) if they are going to be somewhat competitive with previous AMD offerings hitting the price level of the M1, for chess use.

It will be interesting to see if they can provide performance at least on par with a low-powered 5800U at a price point not significantly higher than today's M1 alternatives.

Let's not forget AMD already has 5700G CPU released with stellar performance, extremely good power efficiency and with killer graphics on-chip.

I would be extremeley suprised if Apple's M2 will even come close to the 5700G on chess engines perf.