@CPW contributors

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

smatovic
Full name: Srdja Matovic

Re: @CPW contributors

Post by smatovic »

Viz wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 3:00 pm Info on CPW is mostly extremely old and misleading.
[....]
Maybe view CPW meanwhile as a matter of interest of computer chess history, CPW covers retrograde analysis from 1912 to NNUE 2020.

--
Srdja
Viz
Full name: Michael Chaly

Post by Viz »

smatovic wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 7:42 pm
Viz wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 3:00 pm Info on CPW is mostly extremely old and misleading.
[....]
Maybe view CPW meanwhile as a matter of interest of computer chess history, CPW covers retrograde analysis from 1912 to NNUE 2020.

--
Srdja
Well, a lot of things I've mentioned was known in 2020. Almost everything actually.
Some articles look like they were written in 1980 more or less.
smatovic

Post by smatovic »

Viz wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 7:56 pm Well, a lot of things I've mentioned was known in 2020. Almost everything actually.
Some articles look like they were written in 1980 more or less.
I did add a link to TC thread with Discord channels on the CPW main page, I think people will get the message:

https://www.chessprogramming.org/Main_Page
Up-To-Date Best Practices

Since mid 2022 the Chess Programming Wiki contributions lowered to occasionally updates, and over time the Zeitgeist of the computer chess community moved on from usenet to bulletin boards to meanwhile chat groups like Discord channels. Computer chess programming is actively discussed in several Discord channels:

Discord Channels by Srdja Matovic on CCC, October 11, 2023
--
Srdja
shawn
Full name: Shawn Xu

Post by shawn »

Hi,
I am Shawn Xu, the developer of Serendipity (#1 Java Engine) and a part-time Stockfish Contributor. I'm interesting in keeping some search topics up-to-date in CPW, what would be the process of becoming a contributor?

Shawn
smatovic

Post by smatovic »

Hi Shawn,

I can not tell, I was invited by Gerd Isenberg to CPW to work on the GPU article, Gerd is since mid-2022 not active anymore, and I have no admin rights to add or invite other users to that MediaWiki.

--
Srdja
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

smatovic wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2024 9:52 am Hi Shawn,

I can not tell, I was invited by Gerd Isenberg to CPW to work on the GPU article, Gerd is since mid-2022 not active anymore, and I have no admin rights to add or invite other users to that MediaWiki.

--
Srdja
I thought he had died?
gbanksnz at gmail.com
smatovic

Post by smatovic »

Graham Banks wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2024 10:06 am [...]
I thought he had died?
I didn't know, sad news for me, rest in peace Gerd Isenberg, the community is missing you.

--
Srdja
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

smatovic wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2024 10:08 am
Graham Banks wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2024 10:06 am [...]
I thought he had died?
I didn't know, sad news for me, rest in peace Gerd Isenberg, the community is missing you.

--
Srdja
I hope I'm right, as it would be a horrible thing to be wrong about.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
towforce

Post by towforce »

smatovic wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2024 9:52 am Hi Shawn,

--
Srdja

Whatever the reason he's not active, the problem now becomes how to take ownership of the CPW website. If this is infeasible, then the problem becomes how to copy the content to a new website.
The simple reveals itself after the complex has been exhausted.
smatovic

Post by smatovic »

towforce wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2024 11:03 am [...]
Whatever the reason he's not active, the problem now becomes how to take ownership of the CPW website. If this is infeasible, then the problem becomes how to copy the content to a new website.
I will not engage in such an operation*, the website is still up and running, there must be other admins out there, therefore this post, it is the job of the CPW admins** to keep it alive, or to hand it over to an active community. If CPW is to shut down, the TalkChess Founders might be able to co-host an archive on TC server***.

*to save CPW is above my pay grade, a job for top engine programmers/contributors
**and I do not even know, who these are
***this should be pretty straight forward, if Founders agree, and we have web-files+database

--
Srdja