Hiarcs FREE Legacy Site Now Up And Running

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Steve B

Re: 1981 Hiarcs - A possible winner!

Post by Steve B »

Harvey Williamson wrote:Hi Steve,

Alain is the formal winner of challenge 1. He is very close to being declared the winner of challenge 2 and then a brand new Citrine.

Will announce here as soon as the jury confirm regards!

Harvey
Thanks for the update Harvey

Nail Biting Regards
Steve
fern

Post by fern »

This is outrageous!!!!
I wrote, years ago, many articles about chess computer and NOBODY gave me any credit , lot less a Citrine.
Alan is a great guy but he ONLY re-wrote a code, an easy task to a programmer savvy.
And me???
WHAT ABOUT ME?????
Do I not deserve not even a chess challenger 9 capable of working?
Am I so deep in despise from you?

With My Browning already in my temple regards

Fernando
Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson »

fern wrote:This is outrageous!!!!
I wrote, years ago, many articles about chess computer and NOBODY gave me any credit , lot less a Citrine.
Alan is a great guy but he ONLY re-wrote a code, an easy task to a programmer savvy.
And me???
WHAT ABOUT ME?????
Do I not deserve not even a chess challenger 9 capable of working?
Am I so deep in despise from you?

With My Browning already in my temple regards

Fernando
Hi Fern,

Yes you are deeply despised by both the Hiarcs team and by Steve. I suggest you contact my lawyer details are here http://216.25.93.108/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 426#115426

Steves Lawyers are also listed in that thread.

If you have more serious browning issues. I can supply you with the brown trousers I bought for the Hiarcs 3 v reserection fruit match - they are only slightly stained as Hiarcs managed to hold the draw.

Despised Regards,

Team Hiarcs :wink:
fern

Post by fern »

I see....insult over vexation. Well, William, lawyers you are not to see from my side, but some very tall guys and heavily bad humored to say the least
Any time on of these days you will meet them.
watch your back.
Do not walk alone.
Beware of cars running smoothly at your side.

You are a dead man walking regards
Fernando
Harvey Williamson

fern wrote:I see....insult over vexation. Well, William, lawyers you are not to see from my side, but some very tall guys and heavily bad humored to say the least
Any time on of these days you will meet them.
watch your back.
Do not walk alone.
Beware of cars running smoothly at your side.

You are a dead man walking regards
Fernando

Looks like i better keep the brown trousers :shock:
Harvey Williamson

We have a winner!! + comments from Mark

Hello All,

I can confirm that the 1st person to get the 1981 and 1983 versions of Hiarcs working is Alain Zanchetta.

Many congratulations to him!!

Some thoughts from Mark on this and the match to be played soon 1981 Hiarcs v Chess Challenger 3 operated by Collectors Corner guru Steve Blincoe!

For me it
has been very nostalgic and a lot of fun to see my old code working again
after such a long time. Thank you!

Hiarcs 0.3 and 0.5 both now run and I will be putting setup installers for
them on the website so anyone interested can run them. They are very
primitive, but are eager to challenge the famous Challenger 3!?

Both 0.3 and 0.5 have played a number of old dedicated computers like Chess
Challenger 10, Voice and a nice old Boris. This last computer was the first
to display messages like "Is that a trap?" which was later used in the
Sargon 2.5 from the same company. Did you know Boris was written by one of
the famous "Chess" team, David Slate I believe and I think he predates even
Bob Hyatt!

Now 0.3 and 0.5 are in training camp at high altitude awaiting news of the
date of the match of the century. They are on a strict diet of old great
chess computers for sparring (but NOT CC3). I have considered feeding them
my old Chess Champion Mk1 but that is a mighty foe and I don't want to dent
their confidence so close to such an important event.

Steve B

Re: We have a winner!! + comments from Mark

Post by Steve B »

hi Harvey

i also add my congrats to Alain
not only is Alain a top chess computer collector who maintains a premiere web site for the old computers , but as the author of CEBoard and now the official converter of the Hiarcs Legacy versions ..he can only be called a "True Man For All Seasons"!

it should aslo be noted that Alain has DECLINED the prize of the Citrine as he already has one and he has gracefully offered it to the Hiarcs Team for any other future contests they might decide to hold
so we can also add "Altruism "to the long list of Alains traits

i of course have none of these higher qualities and i am simply overjoyed with happiness to be let "off the hook " this way and not have to actually PAY for the Citrine
:wink:

as to the match....

I Challenge Team Hiarc's to face my Chess Challenger 3 for two games...this Sunday 11am Chess Base Server Time(5AM EST USA)
CC3 will be set to level two
either Hiarcs 0.3 0r 0.5

if in the unlikely event that the CC3 loses to (the newly ported to the PC) Hiarcs, then we play another two games NEXT week ..same time with the CC3 bumped all the way up to the dizzying heights of level 3

What Say You?
Regards from the B team
Steve
Harvey Williamson

Steve B wrote:hi Harvey

i also add my congrats to Alain
not only is Alain a top chess computer collector who maintains a premiere web site for the old computers , but as the author of CEBoard and now the official converter of the Hiarcs Legacy versions ..he can only be called a "True Man For All Seasons"!

it should aslo be noted that Alain has DECLINED the prize of the Citrine as he already has one and he has gracefully offered it to the Hiarcs Team for any other future contests they might decide to hold
so we can also add "Altruism "to the long list of Alains traits

i of course have none of these higher qualities and i am simply overjoyed with happiness to be let "off the hook " this way and not have to actually PAY for the Citrine
:wink:

as to the match....

I Challenge Team Hiarc's to face my Chess Challenger 3 for two games...this Sunday 11am Chess Base Server Time(5AM EST USA)
CC3 will be set to level two
either Hiarcs 0.3 0r 0.5

if in the unlikely event that the CC3 loses to (the newly ported to the PC) Hiarcs, then we play another two games NEXT week ..same time with the CC3 bumped all the way up to the dizzying heights of level 3

What Say You?
Regards from the B team
Steve
Hi Steve,

Challenge is accepted - if in the unlikely event that the 0.3 H loses written by the 16 year old Uniacke - we challenge you to a rematch with the 0.5 version written by the 18 year old Uniacke.

Although the following saturday wont be possible as Hiarcs and I will be eating Fish in Leiden!

Sounds like fun Regards,

Harvey
gerold

Re: 1981 Hiarcs - Here it is.

Post by gerold »

JonP01 wrote:Hi Steve,

Well as you can see, Hilary is a Reti cat :wink: (seen here assisting me with my investigations into the esoterics of Chessmaster Diamond module swapping for power users). Maybe early versions of HIARCS should be playing this machine instead. It's still a huge leap ahead positionally from the earliest Challengers.

Do you mind if i down load that cat for my Logo for the new program
i have comming out of Russia. From Russia with love.
Name change from little dog to Slick Cat. :) :)

Good luck,

Gerold.
Alainza

Post by Alainza »

Hi,

thanks to Harvey, Mark and Steve for organizing this challenge.

It was fun to do.
When I ported some engines in CEBoard, I did not have to understand the code as I did with these old versions of Hiarcs (to correct my typos).
And 85 was also probably the last time I wrote basic code :wink:

Best regards,

Alain